Cualquier cosa, no llame.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
It’s a classic in the Dominican dialect where they drop the s.

I registered in a hotel and the dude said, Cualquier cosa, no llame.

This means, whatever thing, do not call. He meant, and I could tell by his manner and tone, that he meant,
Cualquier cosa, nos llame. which is, Whatever thing, call us. The missing s produced the opposite meaning, and a rude one at that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bane of my life as a Spanish to English translator. Real examples from poorly transcribed interviews:

No vamos a la capital, or Nos vamos a la capital?
Si vamos a la clínica, or Sí, vamos a clínica?

Big difference!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Believe it or not, the dropping of the ‘S’, and a few other things -such as shortening certain words: para becomes pa as in voy para la tienda becomes voy pa’la tienda) originated and is still done in many areas of Andalucia and the Canaries in Spain. Its so common that there are jokes about this among Spaniards from other areas and when an Andalucian moves to Madrid or Barcelona they aren’t always understood.

Guess from what parts of Spain were most of the Spaniards that settled in the DR?

This young Andalucian best describes (in the Andalucian dialect, of course) the delimma.

[video=youtube;nXXuE2VdwBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXuE2VdwBg[/video]

Then several months ago I read (perhaps it was a video, can’t remember) that the Andalucian dialect is, contrary to popular belief in much of Spain, actually the most advanced form of the Spanish language. I can’t remember the reasons they gave, but it certainly makes for an interesting reality.

Sooo, all you folks that think Dominican Spanish is the worst there is (plenty of Dominicans have the same opinion), it may just be the most advanced too. lol

I’ll see if I find the article (or video) where the claim of greatness was made.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dame do ma cerveza pa nosotro.

What amazes me is no one corrects poor grammar and even many who speak phonetically OK, can't spell to save their lives.
How many times have you communicated with someone from the campo by WhatsApp to realize public education must be abysmal.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I found it and it’s a video, not an article.

[video=youtube;haLoIzAojdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLoIzAojdM[/video]

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Dame do ma cerveza pa nosotro.

What amazes me is no one corrects poor grammar and even many who speak phonetically OK, can't spell to save their lives.
How many times have you communicated with someone from the campo by WhatsApp to realize public education must be abysmal.

It sisn't the education system as much as it is the lack there of. Many, specially in the campos have never attended any school.