Being a gentleman

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Back when I was single, I developed a talent for calming down crying babies. I never did get a break this way. Years later, and seeing much better now that I am not suffering from loneliness, I figured out the approach. This can also work in another situation, read on.

I walk up and start talking to the crying toddler, saying that everything is okay, your mother is here taking care of you. I use a normal but calm, reassuring voice. Often the baby calms down. My blunder was observing that it must be a lot of work to take care of a baby, wait for the mother to reply, and then ask if anybody helps her. That can be construed as impolite.

A better approach is to tell her, you know, what I’m doing, is getting practice calming down babies. Someday, the mother will turn out to be a single mom, and I’ll be able to get her telephone number if I can impress her that way, so in the mean time, I hope you don’t mind that I calmed down your baby for practice.

Notice you did not suggest that she might be a single mom, but she can break the ice if she so chooses. When she says she is definitely NOT a single mom, you reply that you are only getting practice this time.

The other situation, as I said above, was a recent visit to a restaurant where I sat near a rather attractive mother young enough to be my daughter, and she had to be careful that her baby would not fall off the fixed-to-the-floor seat next to hers. After I finished eating, I went and fetched one of the high chairs in the corner for her, saying Mire, señora, si usted quiere, puede poner al niño en esta silla y abrocharlo. She lit up and accepted, thanking me. Y la próxima vez, puede pedir que un empleado le lleve la silla alta. Then I walked away because asking for a date is out of the question while I am happily married, but I was glad to help the baby and his mother. You single men can use the approach that you are getting practice with your caballerosidad because one day the mother will turn out to be a single mom. If the lady might be interested, she will break the ice and invite you to sit down.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Back when I was single, I developed a talent for calming down crying babies. I never did get a break this way. Years later, and seeing much better now that I am not suffering from loneliness, I figured out the approach. This can also work in another situation, read on.

I walk up and start talking to the crying toddler, saying that everything is okay, your mother is here taking care of you. I use a normal but calm, reassuring voice. Often the baby calms down. My blunder was observing that it must be a lot of work to take care of a baby, wait for the mother to reply, and then ask if anybody helps her. That can be construed as impolite.

A better approach is to tell her, you know, what I’m doing, is getting practice calming down babies. Someday, the mother will turn out to be a single mom, and I’ll be able to get her telephone number if I can impress her that way, so in the mean time, I hope you don’t mind that I calmed down your baby for practice.

Notice you did not suggest that she might be a single mom, but she can break the ice if she so chooses. When she says she is definitely NOT a single mom, you reply that you are only getting practice this time.

The other situation, as I said above, was a recent visit to a restaurant where I sat near a rather attractive mother young enough to be my daughter, and she had to be careful that her baby would not fall off the fixed-to-the-floor seat next to hers. After I finished eating, I went and fetched one of the high chairs in the corner for her, saying Mire, señora, si usted quiere, puede poner al niño en esta silla y abrocharlo. She lit up and accepted, thanking me. Y la próxima vez, puede pedir que un empleado le lleve la silla alta. Then I walked away because asking for a date is out of the question while I am happily married, but I was glad to help the baby and his mother. You single men can use the approach that you are getting practice with your caballerosidad because one day the mother will turn out to be a single mom. If the lady might be interested, she will break the ice and invite you to sit down.

I think that there are very few single men looking for women with babies to settle down with, you know less baggage.
Somebody smart would try to avoid that. ;)
Besides even though I'm a fan of chivalry I've noticed that barrio women prefer the direct approach, especially the single mothers because they need $$$$$$$. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect you understand the subtle difference when using the 'A' or the 'ITA'

There can be a a social revolt if you apply the A to a A who thinks she's an ITA

Tread carefully....
I have misstep-ed.... and was taught the lesson - in spades !!!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When I hear a baby crying, I usually try to get as far away as fast as I can. There are lots of senoritas with babies here and they are very easy to meet.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............You single men can use the approach that you are getting practice with your caballerosidad because one day the mother will turn out to be a single mom. If the lady might be interested, she will break the ice and invite you to sit down.

LOL, weird? si….. Didn't know you needed all this strategy to meet women in la rep dom. There are the "chicas" who will invite just about any man to sit down, and then ask them to pay for the pica pollo and 200 pesos for milk for the baby. You do that and two more dates, at the most, she your girlfriend...……. Then there are the ladies of la rep dom that ain't got time for some dude trying to play this silly game on her...….

Just my personal experience...….

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
LOL, weird? si….. Didn't know you needed all this strategy to meet women in la rep dom. There are the "chicas" who will invite just about any man to sit down, and then ask them to pay for the pica pollo and 200 pesos for milk for the baby. You do that and two more dates, at the most, she your girlfriend...……. Then there are the ladies of la rep dom that ain't got time for some dude trying to play this silly game on her...….

Just my personal experience...….

Well somebody smart needs all this strategy. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pica Pollo and 200 pesos ???

Pampers, food.... no hubby visible.....start adding '0's... move that decimal point

Somebody seems smart enough to have a girlfriend.....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...crying babies with a single mother....where I live that is a large percent of the chicas....just tell that mother you think she needs some help and see what happens...yes direct is best, always in the DR.........

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Your technique and reception will be much improved by saying’Senorita’

Well, I figured a married mother might be offended that somebody thinks she’s unmarried, how could she be unmarried when she has a baby? However, I wasn’t looking for any action anyway. Maybe you drop the address if you want her to drop the dress.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Well,..........how could she be unmarried when she has a baby? ...........dress.

I guess you missed the “Murphy Brown” storyline back in 1991-92? (;-). Or maybe “Somebody Smart” is the screen name of Dan Quayle?..........Quick....How do you spell potato?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, I figured a married mother might be offended that somebody thinks she’s unmarried, how could she be unmarried when she has a baby? However, I wasn’t looking for any action anyway. Maybe you drop the address if you want her to drop the dress.

The ‘ita’ Has nothing to do with marital status or number of children

It’s a sign of attractiveness, desirability.....

Senora is reserved for older women or those of higher social standing
As I stated earlier, l have made that mistake and been strongly corrected for it

Luckily it was a friend I learned from

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe not, but addressing a 19 year old chica in the barrio with a baby as "senora" will just come off as weird. Now, maybe if she were the married daughter of a wealthy family...........?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You single men can use the approach that you are getting practice with your caballerosidad because one day the mother will turn out to be a single mom. If the lady might be interested, she will break the ice and invite you to sit down.

Yeah right - just hand her 1000 pesos if you really want to help.
Chivalry died when radical feminism came in.