US has called back to D.C. the U.S. ambassador to Dominican Republic

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Robbie Gramer
‏Verified account @RobbieGramer

State has called back to D.C. the U.S. ambassadors to Dominican Republic and El Salvador, and charges d’affaires to Embassy in Panama “for consultations related to recent decisions to no longer recognize Taiwan”

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It must be a cold, rainy night in RD to be following Robbie Gramer's twitter account.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We all know this is about China and not Taiwan.
----

U.S. recalls diplomats in El Salvador, Panama, Dominican Republic over Taiwan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Friday it had recalled its top diplomats in the Dominican Republic, El Salvador and Panama over those countries’ decisions to no longer recognize Taiwan.

Washington has expressed concern over the rising number of countries that have cut diplomatic ties with Taiwan in favor of China.

El Salvador switched ties last month, while the Dominican Republic did so in May and Panama made the move last year.

Self-ruled Taiwan now has formal relations with only 17 countries, almost all of them small and less developed nations in Central America and the Pacific, including Belize and Nauru.

Like most other countries, Washington does not have diplomatic relations with Taipei but is the democratic island’s main arms supplier and strongest international backer.

The White House warned last month that China was luring countries with economic inducements that “facilitate economic dependency and domination, not partnership.”

In a statement on Friday, the U.S. State Department said it had called back U.S. Ambassador to the Dominican Republic Robin Bernstein, U.S. Ambassador to El Salvador Jean Manes and U.S. Charge d’Affaires in Panama Roxanne Cabral “for consultations related to recent decisions to no longer recognize Taiwan.”

It said the diplomats will meet with U.S. government leaders “to discuss ways in which the United States can support strong, independent, democratic institutions and economies throughout Central America and the Caribbean.”

On Wednesday, U.S. senators introduced legislation that would authorize the State Department to downgrade U.S. relations with any government that shifts away from Taiwan, and to suspend or alter U.S. assistance.

China considers Taiwan to be a wayward province and has never renounced the use of force to bring the island under its control.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It makes one wonder if the DR will reconsider its position on China now that the US Embassador has been recalled.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So, the DR would prefer to sever diplomatic relations with the US?

Interesting.

Who said that will ever happen? Dealing with Taiwan instead of China is like dealing with Radio Shack instead of Microsoft. They are getting things from China that Taiwan could only wish for. Medina will stand up to the US.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Who said that will ever happen? Dealing with Taiwan instead of China is like dealing with Radio Shack instead of Microsoft. They are getting things from China that Taiwan could only wish for. Medina will stand up to the US.

I could be wrong, but how would diplomatic relations exist between the DR and the US if the US decides not to return its ambassador to the DR? The next step could be to ask the DR to close its embassies in the US. Not something that would normally happen, but is what is going on in the White House normal and would you put it past Trump to not make such decisions?

MLB might suffer..

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It could get difficult for the DR with these two super-powers pulling in different directions. I thought Trump said he was going to keep out of the affairs of other countries when he was elected. Looks like he's changed his mind once again.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Stop worrying. NOTHING will happen. I can assure you that the DR will not back down on this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stop worrying. NOTHING will happen. I can assure you that the DR will not back down on this.

Oh I am not worried at all. Just watching the game show unfold.

Something already did happen. The US recalled its ambassador.

If nothing happens from this point on, then there will be no US ambassador in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That might be a good thing. But it won't happen. She will be back, and you can bet on it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think we need to worry more about the Yankees winning that one game than this nonsense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That might be a good thing. But it won't happen. She will be back, and you can bet on it.

I am not a betting man, thankfully. And I like my scenario of the DR embassies being asked to leave the US.

I think we need to worry more about the Yankees winning that one game than this nonsense.

Agreed that the Yankees winning the one game is a far more important eventuality.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Meanwhile...

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...rst-order-of-business-infrastructure-tourism/

China envoy’s first order of business: infrastructure, tourism

Santo Domingo.- China ambassador, Zhang Run, affirmed Friday that Beijing conducts surveys and collects information to launch investment, and bilateral cooperation projects.
He said the investments are currently in the preparatory phase and the impact that tourists from his country will have in the Dominican Republic.
The diplomat, who made the announcement during a visit to Senate president Reinaldo Pared, added that a series of investments are needed in the areas of infrastructure, transportation, as well as human resources, both to be prepared in the language and in the culture of the Asian country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It makes one wonder if the DR will reconsider its position on China now that the US Embassador has been recalled.
Why reconsider?

The US re-recognized China back in the 70’s and, natural, but ignored Taiwan.

Why is the US government worried? :rolleyes:

The US government is acting ridiculous, IMO.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The US government is not acting ridiculous, they have been ridiculous for a long time now. And a lot of countries are just ignoring it.....................

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...rst-order-of-business-infrastructure-tourism/

China envoy’s first order of business: infrastructure, tourism

Santo Domingo.- China ambassador, Zhang Run, affirmed Friday that Beijing conducts surveys and collects information to launch investment, and bilateral cooperation projects.
He said the investments are currently in the preparatory phase and the impact that tourists from his country will have in the Dominican Republic.
The diplomat, who made the announcement during a visit to Senate president Reinaldo Pared, added that a series of investments are needed in the areas of infrastructure, transportation, as well as human resources, both to be prepared in the language and in the culture of the Asian country.

The Chinese are like the mafia. Once they get in it is impossible to get them out. DR, along with the crooked politicos will sign very bad deals.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe this could be a huge waste of brain cells. As well known, the US of A has one or two current foreign policy issues regarding China (see other thread), and recalled their ambassadors to advise them in person of whatever the company line may currently be. More than likely, it will be an information briefing on what NOT to say in public within foreign circles in the respective host nations, since none of these ambassadors are lifelong diplomats. I see it as a standard operating procedure, and nothing worth getting into a fret over. They were recalled, not pulled.