Finn McCools Irish Pub Sosua

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Big Frank is open, but not completely, kitchen and food anytime now but I stopped in for a couple extremely COLD beers yesterday. It is at the Lou's spot as many have mentioned, on Pedro Clisante just before the Sosua Lights bar on the same side. He has some Cool concepts and USA MEAT in his Philly's, Burgers etc.

Its not a large location, I think he will do well.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Best of luck and success to the proprietor, and local community.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Someone told me that his pricing is in dollars. If true,why?

probably expecting more gringos and visitors than locals. easier for visitors to understand yet u can pay with pesos. with the peso devaluating quicker it saves on reprinting menus

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, the prices are in dollars, but everything is very reasonably priced, and it cuts down on having to reprint menus constantly--as the Dominican peso fluctuates nearly every day, week, and month.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, the prices are in dollars, but everything is very reasonably priced, and it cuts down on having to reprint menus constantly--as the Dominican peso fluctuates nearly every day, week, and month.

What food is on the menu? How about a few pics of the place in progress?

Never met Big Frank but he seems like a cool dude and I wish him the best. (never met the little frank either, LOL)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
US dollars aren't all that good for expats and tourists who are not paid in US dollars. If the $RD to $US rate used by the staff isn't bang on, that could be a bit of a drawback. Making money on drinks and food is one thing, added a bit of advantage on the exchange for US menu pricing could be seen as taking advantage.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
US dollars aren't all that good for expats and tourists who are not paid in US dollars. If the $RD to $US rate used by the staff isn't bang on, that could be a bit of a drawback. Making money on drinks and food is one thing, added a bit of advantage on the exchange for US menu pricing could be seen as taking advantage.

I agree with you. How many expats walk around with $USD? Even tourists are advised to use the local currency the DOP. Does one pay in $USD and get pesos for change? This USD pricing might fair well in Punta Cana but don't know about the north coast. What currency was the menu prices at Big Franks old place?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

It has been many, many moons since I have been in the old Lou's place but as I remember it was small like in tiny so how many menus will there be? Put the daily menu on a chalkboard............. charge pesos accordingly. Considering the size of the place how extensive can the menu be?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree with you. How many expats walk around with $USD? Even tourists are advised to use the local currency the DOP. Does one pay in $USD and get pesos for change? This USD pricing might fair well in Punta Cana but don't know about the north coast. What currency was the menu prices at Big Franks old place?

At the old place prices were in pesos. I suppose Frank thinks all his clients will be American, and he may be right, because pricing in dollars will certainly put me (non-American) off going!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's not my bar and the owner can do whatever he likes. I am sure he has his reasons for every decision. The success of any bar here pretty much depends on the residents being regulars to establish a baseline income. I can accept that a sports bar is a marketing decision to target a demographic. Because there are 5 TV's too many for my taste, apart from a visit to check it out for myself, I doubt that I would be a regular.

US dollar pricing, Dominicans and math, tipsy customers (drinking and watching 3+ hour sporting events) seems like a good way to put off a good many potential regular patrons - it's hard enough to track one's bill here on a good day without having to check someone else's math.

To each their own.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
He deals in pesos, but the prices on the menu is in dollars so that he doesn't have to change the prices from week to week. If the price of beer, for example, is $2.50. Then you simply pay the equivalent in pesos 2.50 x 50 =

Imagine if next week, the DR peso is 51 to the dollar, and then the week after that it is 52 to the dollar. Who wants to keep changing the prices on the menu.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have been living in Sosua for 5 years and I don't know a single person that carries dollars on them,nor do I know a single bar or restaurant that prices in dollars,just sayin'.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been living in Sosua for 5 years and I don't know a single person that carries dollars on them,nor do I know a single bar or restaurant that prices in dollars,just sayin'.

Perhaps this can be the start of the conversion of the DR to the USD that some have talked about happening and Big Franks new bar is the epicenter for the "cambio".

The prevailing discussion is that pricing a menu in the DR is a bad idea.

I agree.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am sticking with Cdn_Gringo thinking on this one. Don't know why but when I see prices in one currency but the establishment will take another currency for payment I always get the funny feeling I am NOT get the best part of the deal. No big deal cuz I doubt I will ever spend $5 USD in the place cuz I just don't do the north coast.

Still best of luck and get some pics posted...……...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The peso has been around 49.5 to one US dollar for many months now...at least 6. Nobody in Sosua has a menu with US pricing as all restaurants buy in pesos, so getting US dollars is only taking advantage of the customer. Huge mistake on Frank's part. It will really turn local expats away and there are not enough tourists to spread amongst the 10 plus bar/restaurants that show sports. All the best to him, he has a lot of competition, not to mention the biggest one right on the corner.