Thread: PRICESMART INFO

Post Thanks / Like

Default PRICESMART INFO

I am not living in Santiago yet but furnishing my condo. I have found out that it is cheaper to buy a TV on Amazon and ship using CPS than it is to actually by directly in the DR. Does anyone know a price range on say 32 inch 42 inch tv's at pricesmart? Do they sell mattresses or furniture in general cheaper than local DR stores? Thanks for your help

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

yes and no. Pricesmart is great, but they are subject to customs. The same is true for EPS and CPS for orders over $200. And, it's not what you actually buy for under $200, but what the customs agents feel is $200 (and that the custom's dude didn't have an argument with his boss or wife). I think the usual cost is about $5/lb, but that's a definite thumb guide.

PriceMart is definitely worth checking out for various reasons. In other countries, it is the only place where you can far left and far right politicians together under the same roof and having a civil conversation. Or at least, I've seen it in the past. Sigh.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not bother with shipping. they will hit you with the import tax anyways. asking such basic questions shows you do not much about life in DR yet - no offence meant, we were all newbies - and that means you will make an easy victim for fleecing by DGII and shipping company. but you may luck out, who knows.

pricesmart does not really have furniture. they do have appliances, mattresses and occasional few pieces of furniture but the choice is very limited, the quality is nothing to write home about and the prices are not worth the second look. it's a boring ass store on all accounts.

4. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Think I will go ahead and check out

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Also to be considered when you bring something in therefrom the USA is the warranty which is probably useless. Price mart will provide a basic warranty. Be sure to ask them about it when you look at tv s.

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, I have found that over the years CECOMSA which has a store in the small plaza in front of the STI PRICESMART was several thousand pesos less for tvs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

pricesmart is the way to go . would never deal with mom and pops TV vendors......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Price smart is da bomb!!!!
    They have great furniture too you just have to go a lot to see the different things or order online from them.
    One thing I made sure of was wherever I moved there wa a Costco/Price Smart!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply . I will check this out for sure