PRICESMART INFO

TonySky313

May 10, 2018
I am not living in Santiago yet but furnishing my condo. I have found out that it is cheaper to buy a TV on Amazon and ship using CPS than it is to actually by directly in the DR. Does anyone know a price range on say 32 inch 42 inch tv's at pricesmart? Do they sell mattresses or furniture in general cheaper than local DR stores? Thanks for your help

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
yes and no. Pricesmart is great, but they are subject to customs. The same is true for EPS and CPS for orders over $200. And, it's not what you actually buy for under $200, but what the customs agents feel is $200 (and that the custom's dude didn't have an argument with his boss or wife). I think the usual cost is about $5/lb, but that's a definite thumb guide.

PriceMart is definitely worth checking out for various reasons. In other countries, it is the only place where you can far left and far right politicians together under the same roof and having a civil conversation. Or at least, I've seen it in the past. Sigh.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not bother with shipping. they will hit you with the import tax anyways. asking such basic questions shows you do not much about life in DR yet - no offence meant, we were all newbies - and that means you will make an easy victim for fleecing by DGII and shipping company. but you may luck out, who knows.

pricesmart does not really have furniture. they do have appliances, mattresses and occasional few pieces of furniture but the choice is very limited, the quality is nothing to write home about and the prices are not worth the second look. it's a boring ass store on all accounts.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Also to be considered when you bring something in therefrom the USA is the warranty which is probably useless. Price mart will provide a basic warranty. Be sure to ask them about it when you look at tv s.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good morning, I have found that over the years CECOMSA which has a store in the small plaza in front of the STI PRICESMART was several thousand pesos less for tvs.