Skin Rash

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I went to Union Medica with a rash that was not getting better and the lovely lady doctor told me that I have dermatitties - almost cronico. The cream that I got is working wonders but I don't understand the vaseline - where to apply that. Has anyone else had this problem? She also gave me some free soap. With my seguro it still cost me 2000pesos.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
I had this a couple of years ago. Dermatologist prescribed a special lotion and a daily pill to take until it goes away. Took 2 days and it was 95% gone. Can't help you with the vaseline, I did not have that. In my case, it was a skin allergy reaction that closes the pores and blocks the sweat inside or between 2 skins, which brings the extreme itching. She said I had to be allergic to something for my skin to react this way (was limited to one arm and chest). To this day I don't know what triggers it. She told me if it ever comes back, it will be even worse..... nice.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I was watching the life and death of Freddie Mercury and they showed his rashes getting worse and just before he died he had one that looked just like mine on his leg. I felt terrible till the doctora laughed at it.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
2000 pesos seems like a high co-payment by Dominican standards.
I went to Union Medica with a rash that was not getting better and the lovely lady doctor told me that I have dermatitties - almost cronico. The cream that I got is working wonders but I don't understand the vaseline - where to apply that. Has anyone else had this problem? She also gave me some free soap. With my seguro it still cost me 2000pesos.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
I live in the campo and chop brush and sweat like a pig. I get all sorts of rashes. There are allergy-like rashes, fungus-like rashes, and insect bite itches. Although one can treat some rashes sometimes with corticosteroids, these medicines suppress immune reaction. So that rash might go away, but if there is any skin damage, it might get infected if the corticosteroid has been used more than a few days. Cortisone cream is widely available. Mometasone is a bit stronger and also available. I use it when the cortisone doesn't help within 12 hours.

There are various lotions related to caladryl. These are astringent (drying), and they reduce itching too. They are not corticsteroids so you can use them as needed. But they may not work on some rashes. Related to these are some medicines for skin parasite bugs. Such products may contain lindane (pesticide). I try to steer clear of topical pesticide application!

There is topical antifungal ointment. If the rash seems to form circular patches, it might be fungal. Then clotrimazole might help. In fact, steroids may even irritate fungal infections so if you applied steroid and the rash became worse, switch to the clotrimazole.

Sometimes if you really get into something itchy it is impractical to actually bathe in medicine. Well, they do offer some soaps that claim efficacy. But if I itch all over, I go for a couple of benadryl. They are anti-allergy pills. I don't know if they really stop the itch, but two caplets will put me sound asleep for about 8 hours, and usually by then the itching has passed. :)

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
2000 pesos seems like a high co-payment by Dominican standards.
I was paying 2000 before without seguro so I went and got Humano. I questioned the girl and she said I would have to pay 2500 without it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just went through the "rash" problem with my wife. All kinds of creams, three different doctors. None really caught the problem.

Turned out to be an allergy to latex that I researched. So no more latex gloves.

I spoke to a friend who is a long time nurse who has been teaching nursing for years. She said that latex gloves are not used in the hospital any longer because of the potential for allergic reactions. Even if you could use latex gloves for years, the problem could arise at any time, and become quite serious.

The last place we went was the Center for Dermatology in Santiago where they have a large number of dermatologists and one weird way to set up the order of the patients visiting the doctors. They have a system where you sit and get a number based upon your seat. Many people were there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ah, rasquiña. my favourite ailment from the pharmacy times. the clients always felt thee urge to demonstrate affected areas so i have been faced with all body parts, including feet, fat folds and once a bare ass. the number of dominicans with skin issues is astonishing. it's sweat, humidity, bad hygiene, poverty, contact with chemicals... lots of reason.

in any case, usually nothing to worry about. since you've already seen the doctor and got prescribed a treatment, things should be getting back on track really soon. if your meds are too expensive ask for a generic equivalent in a pharmacy. acromax dominicana makes particularly good creams to treat dermatological conditions, very well priced and good quality.

dermatologist visits are often quite expensive and the insurance does not cover much.

as far as freddy mercury is concerned, he had AIDS. his immune system was severely compromised. skin conditions are very common among HIV/AIDS patients. you see the same with other terminal diseases like cancer.