Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contacting the USA Social Security Admin if needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contacting the USA Social Security Admin if needed

I will be a retiree on Social Security. The SSA requires 2 forms of security to log in, a password and a phone security code they send you. Here in the USA it's not a biggie, even when you change phone numbers. They just mail you at your home of record a different security code and you use it to change your phone number on their records. However in the DR, they won't be able to do it. I'm concerned in not being able to contact the SSA in the event of an issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Rob

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how others have done this. We kept our U.S. phone number that rings here in the D.R. Have had the same number for over 30 years. No problems. Waiting for the mail to arrive is … another story. lol.

Payments are direct deposit into our U.S. account.

We found the S.S. people very easy to work with and I'm sure that they are better equipped to guide you. Just might have to sit awhile on hold OR look for the on line Help section.

Good Luck. It will work out.

3. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always contact SS by calling 1 800 772 1213. But from a DR phone you would most likely call 1 880 instead of 800. It may take awhile, but eventually you will get a representative on the line. And they are very helpful I may add.

5. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My application was accepted pending my submission of a birth certif and eveidence of any other pensions (Canada)

Went in to the local office Monday --- $$ in the bank Friday--- excellent system

Canada took 2 months.

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You can email the contact for Social Security for the Dominican Republic and several other Central and South American countries. I didn't receive my Form SSA 7162 by mail this year or last year and I contacted them by email. They sent me a Word version of the form with fillable fields and said I could fill it out, sign and date it and create a pdf to send back by email. I did it last year after my payment was withheld for January and they reinstated my payment within a week. And this year, i hadn't received the form again so I emailed and did the same thing. The email address is: [email protected]

9. Likes JDJones, Juan Bosch liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    You can always contact SS by calling 1 800 772 1213. But from a DR phone you would most likely call 1 880 instead of 800. It may take awhile, but eventually you will get a representative on the line. And they are very helpful I may add.
    Or use Skype and call any number like you are in the US.
    Also if you are on T-Mobile's network your texts will come through.
    What I did was buy a Samsung A8. Compatible on all networks here and it's dual sim so I have Claro for calls and data and T-Mobile set for messages from the states.
    No one here uses messages they just use WhatsApp

11. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Magic Jack for 800 numbers. It is the same as calling from the US. Also they see a US number on caller ID.

Post Thanks / Like

Which carrier do you use for that? If you don't mind, please tell me how much it costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for their responses!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TontonRob View Post
    Which carrier do you use for that? If you don't mind, please tell me how much it costs.
    Are you talking about Magic Jack? If so you just buy it for about $35 US and plug it into either your computer or direct to the router. All calls to the US and Canada are free. After 6 months it might cost you $12 for another year, or less for a 5 or 10 year plan. No carrier at all. And it is clearer than my Claro landline.

http://www.magicjack.com/index.html

l

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast