Contacting the USA Social Security Admin if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TontonRob

Aug 28, 2018
I will be a retiree on Social Security. The SSA requires 2 forms of security to log in, a password and a phone security code they send you. Here in the USA it's not a biggie, even when you change phone numbers. They just mail you at your home of record a different security code and you use it to change your phone number on their records. However in the DR, they won't be able to do it. I'm concerned in not being able to contact the SSA in the event of an issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Rob

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Don't know how others have done this. We kept our U.S. phone number that rings here in the D.R. Have had the same number for over 30 years. No problems. Waiting for the mail to arrive is … another story. lol.

Payments are direct deposit into our U.S. account.

We found the S.S. people very easy to work with and I'm sure that they are better equipped to guide you. Just might have to sit awhile on hold OR look for the on line Help section.

Good Luck. It will work out.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can always contact SS by calling 1 800 772 1213. But from a DR phone you would most likely call 1 880 instead of 800. It may take awhile, but eventually you will get a representative on the line. And they are very helpful I may add.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My application was accepted pending my submission of a birth certif and eveidence of any other pensions (Canada)

Went in to the local office Monday --- $$ in the bank Friday--- excellent system

Canada took 2 months.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
You can email the contact for Social Security for the Dominican Republic and several other Central and South American countries. I didn't receive my Form SSA 7162 by mail this year or last year and I contacted them by email. They sent me a Word version of the form with fillable fields and said I could fill it out, sign and date it and create a pdf to send back by email. I did it last year after my payment was withheld for January and they reinstated my payment within a week. And this year, i hadn't received the form again so I emailed and did the same thing. The email address is: SJREGION@ssa.gov

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You can always contact SS by calling 1 800 772 1213. But from a DR phone you would most likely call 1 880 instead of 800. It may take awhile, but eventually you will get a representative on the line. And they are very helpful I may add.

Or use Skype and call any number like you are in the US.
Also if you are on T-Mobile's network your texts will come through.
What I did was buy a Samsung A8. Compatible on all networks here and it's dual sim so I have Claro for calls and data and T-Mobile set for messages from the states.
No one here uses messages they just use WhatsApp

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I use Magic Jack for 800 numbers. It is the same as calling from the US. Also they see a US number on caller ID.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Which carrier do you use for that? If you don't mind, please tell me how much it costs.

Are you talking about Magic Jack? If so you just buy it for about $35 US and plug it into either your computer or direct to the router. All calls to the US and Canada are free. After 6 months it might cost you $12 for another year, or less for a 5 or 10 year plan. No carrier at all. And it is clearer than my Claro landline.

http://www.magicjack.com/index.html

l

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Make sure you use you US address. (I'll explain later). I have used Google Phone in the past to contact them. You will have a phone number associated with that account and you can receive text messages with it also. Once you are set up with SSI, you can log into their system. You are given a choice as to where the "code number" be sent to finish the secondary log-in step. I always choose "email". The code is sent instantly, copy and paste, and you are in. I have had to contact SSI several times over the last few years and have done so for free using Google phone. (Now for the second part). I had an issue with SSI and was required to "go to my local office". I learned that I could go to Santo Domingo Embassy to fix my issue. You have to make an appointment with them "online" and WAIT........I finally got the appointment date and time.. (they are all the same so get there early to stand in line). My number came up and I was able to "fix" my problem. When everything was said and done, I was required to give them my DR address because now I am in the DR jurisdiction!!! OK. I did that. 1.5 years later, my SSI payment stopped. They had "mailed" me a form to fill in which they will do for all expats each year or two. Of course I never received the letter cause no mail delivery here where I live! Its an easy form and basically confirms your address is the same and makes sure you are still alive! That was a PITA but after about ten days.....things went back to normal. If you leave your DR address on file with SSI, you are unable to change your address OR you bank information "online". Well...later I called them and was able to change my address BACK to the states so no more stupid form to fill out every year or two and I am able to change my address and bank info again if I desire. So......this is my story. You mileage my vary!! Respectfully!!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I retired and moved down here a month later. I gave SSA my Skype phone number and used a friend's mailing address. Check was direct deposited into my US bank account. I didn't have any problems. Magic Jack is another option. When you get down here, change it to your cellphone here if you want.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Make sure you use you US address. (I'll explain later). I have used Google Phone in the past to contact them. You will have a phone number associated with that account and you can receive text messages with it also. Once you are set up with SSI, you can log into their system. You are given a choice as to where the "code number" be sent to finish the secondary log-in step. I always choose "email". The code is sent instantly, copy and paste, and you are in. I have had to contact SSI several times over the last few years and have done so for free using Google phone. (Now for the second part). I had an issue with SSI and was required to "go to my local office". I learned that I could go to Santo Domingo Embassy to fix my issue. You have to make an appointment with them "online" and WAIT........I finally got the appointment date and time.. (they are all the same so get there early to stand in line). My number came up and I was able to "fix" my problem. When everything was said and done, I was required to give them my DR address because now I am in the DR jurisdiction!!! OK. I did that. 1.5 years later, my SSI payment stopped. They had "mailed" me a form to fill in which they will do for all expats each year or two. Of course I never received the letter cause no mail delivery here where I live! Its an easy form and basically confirms your address is the same and makes sure you are still alive! That was a PITA but after about ten days.....things went back to normal. If you leave your DR address on file with SSI, you are unable to change your address OR you bank information "online". Well...later I called them and was able to change my address BACK to the states so no more stupid form to fill out every year or two and I am able to change my address and bank info again if I desire. So......this is my story. You mileage my vary!! Respectfully!!!

Definitely. Use a US address and select the email option.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And be aware that if they know you are an expat in the DR that they will send you a letter every year with a form you have to return to them. I think of it as an "I am still alive and please continue to direct deposit that money every month" letter.

The first such letter I had arrived at the local post office in Sousa and I sent it in using EPS a few weeks ago, just arriving today at their offices. I changed my address to my EPS address so I don't have to keep checking the Sosua post office all the time and avoiding the chance it would never arrive.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You need to be aware that if you use EPS and Medicare you will be flooded with meaningless mail sent there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing. Living in the DR you cannot get a Medicare Advantage Plan. Medicare only covers 80% of bills, an Advantage Plan covers 100%, and if you know how to choose one you pay nothing for it. But you need a US address.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's why I used a US address. I have the Advantage Plan and pay nothing. Got good coverage on it just last month when I was in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.