electric car in DR

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

i am planning to buy an electric car in the states and send it to DR. I know that in DR there are no electric station to charge the car. however, i am trying to install a 240w charger station i saw in amazon in my house in las vegas and use it to charge the car.

does anyone has experience with electric car in DR? any thoughts, ideas? do you think is bad idea? thanks in advance

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My friend is the only person on the Island that has a Tesla and he loves it. He charges it in his garage.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
My friend is the only person on the Island that has a Tesla and he loves it. He charges it in his garage.

nice, so i guess there is no problem charging the car. i was thinking maybe DR electricity may not have the right voltage to charge the car properly or the electricity there may damage the car because voltage tend to jump or something

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am considering a fleet of Zero DSR electric motorcycles for our tours.

There are companies who make high-efficiency/fast-charge charging stations, some portable if your vehicle requires a special fast-charge tech.

https://freewiretech.com/

erod

Apr 9, 2017
He has never had any problems charging the car.

cool. do you know what charging station brand and model he installed in his garage? if you know or can ask him, i can probably look it up in amazon and buy the same. thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't know and he is a pilot and out of the DR at the time. When I see him I will ask him.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I admit I know nothing about this, but can you just plug it in to an outlet. Or does it need something special to charge it?

Jan 9, 2004
Hi everyone,

i am planning to buy an electric car in the states and send it to DR. I know that in DR there are no electric station to charge the car. however, i am trying to install a 240w charger station i saw in amazon in my house in las vegas and use it to charge the car.

does anyone has experience with electric car in DR? any thoughts, ideas? do you think is bad idea? thanks in advance

Good idea in theory......but what make will you buy?

There was talk of giving electric vehicles a tax break.........but that has not yet come to fruition.

So you need to know that your cost to import your car will run between 35-50% additional taxes, first placa, shipping and insurance..........and that is on top of your purchase price.......................just to get it landed in the DR.

As you may or may not know, warranty repairs will present a whole new set of challenges.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Good idea in theory......but what make will you buy?

There was talk of giving electric vehicles a tax break.........but that has not yet come to fruition.

So you need to know that your cost to import your car will run between 35-50% additional taxes, first placa, shipping and insurance..........and that is on top of your purchase price.......................just to get it landed in the DR.

As you may or may not know, warranty repairs will present a whole new set of challenges.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i am aware of the taxes but didnt know it was 35-50%. my cousin who lives in DR told me that is cheaper to import a car in the DR than buying it over there. he said you have save about $5k after you pay for shipping etc etc. not sure how much of this is true but other people are telling me the same.

what is your recommendation on cars? buy any car in DR instead and it will be cheaper?

Jan 9, 2004
i am aware of the taxes but didnt know it was 35-50%. my cousin who lives in DR told me that is cheaper to import a car in the DR than buying it over there. he said you have save about $5k after you pay for shipping etc etc. not sure how much of this is true but other people are telling me the same.

what is your recommendation on cars? buy any car in DR instead and it will be cheaper?

You pay 18% ITBIS (sales tax) and 17% of the value of the car to obtain your first license plate. So you are already at 35% and you have not paid shipping, insurance, port charges etc.

That having been said, I prefer to bring my own vehicle in...........even dealing with the frustration that is Aduana.

Note that I have clients who are new/used car dealers and so the process for me is a bit easier...........but not totally without hassle.

Buying there or shipping is a personal decision. If you know your vehicle and its history, and it is less than 5 years old, you might want to consider shipping it.

If you are thinking of now buying a vehicle just to ship to the D.R., my suggestion would be to buy there. Contrary to popular belief, there is very little savings if any....unless you are dealer connected.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
My understanding is the duty is minimal if you are a resident. Huge numbers are always thrown around, but this may assume you are a non-resident. Best to get info from a professional (e.g. lawyer) before you decide.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
So, regardless of buying here or importing, the taxes are the same. The import duty is different depending on residency status (?)

Jan 9, 2004
My understanding is the duty is minimal if you are a resident. Huge numbers are always thrown around, but this may assume you are a non-resident. Best to get info from a professional (e.g. lawyer) before you decide.

Taxes (ITBIS) are reduced if you bring the vehicle in with a residency exemption. The 17% first placa is not reduced for residency.

The best tax regimen scheme is for returning Dominicans.........they receive a fairly good reduction......but it also comes with restrictions.

The OP did not identify under what category they would fall.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Ok, that makes sense. I think residency makes a significant impact on the cost. Thanks!

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Taxes (ITBIS) are reduced if you bring the vehicle in with a residency exemption. The 17% first placa is not reduced for residency.

The best tax regimen scheme is for returning Dominicans.........they receive a fairly good reduction......but it also comes with restrictions.

The OP did not identify under what category they would fall.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i was born in the dominican republic but live in the state for now. in the future will move there. do you know where i can find more info about the tax regimen reduction for returning dominicans ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can anyone fix it here when it goes belly up which it will sooner or later

Jan 9, 2004
i was born in the dominican republic but live in the state for now. in the future will move there. do you know where i can find more info about the tax regimen reduction for returning dominicans ?

Then you would definitely benefit more by bringing it in under a returning Dominican tax regimen.

DGII has numerous departments (809) 689-2181.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2