Caribbean hidden gem: Unspoiled Samaná

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I admit I am a bit conflicted with articles like this. It obviously spotlights the many positive aspects of a beautiful place. Then again.....it spotlights the many positive aspects of a beautiful place. In other words I would like to see it kept that way. Too much press is usually not a good thing.

I've had my home in Nagua since 2009 and in that short time I've seen many changes and not for the better. If you go there. You must try the lobster. Melts in your mouth tender.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I've had my home in Nagua since 2009 and in that short time I've seen many changes and not for the better. If you go there. You must try the lobster. Melts in your mouth tender.

Oh...I'm going! Haha. I love lobster. My wife hates it for some odd reason. :rolleyes:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is Chen's still open on the Hwy? They had good seafood some years back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have read the slave boat story before -- was it 2 or 3 that made it from Philadelphia ?

In LT, I think it was the French who were early in (after the slaves naturally)
Jean Claude Killy was an original investor I hear
The highly decorated Olympic skier for you young'uns... Put Alberto Tomba to shame

LT Steve is on hiatus,,, so who can confrim Killy's investment?

Where are those slave populations ?
Las Galeras or all over the peninsula

Certainly it's an under developed part of the country,
but that applies to almost all the north coast east of Cabarete

Why is Amanera listed as a Samana hotel in the article ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I went several times to Samana and I loved it even though there were many frenchies. ;)

The one time we went to Samana, my wife got creeped out by the place and we drove home despite planning to spend the night.

It's not for everyone, that is for sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a very nice place
oftentimes, we go for lunch (an hour and a bit) and return

Usually, you can count on good food... Fr/Ital influences abound

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I wonder if some people are confusing Samana with Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? All three are distinctive and different. All three offer different levels of beaches, hotels, bars, and restaurants.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

She, my wife, just had a bad feeling about Samana. Nothing like any other place we have visited other than perhaps some of the ghetto regions in Santo Domingo that would give anyone pause.

It was enough that we cancelled our reservations for the night and drove back home to Cabarete after meeting some friends that were on shore for a couple of hours from a cruise they were taking.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder if some people are confusing Samana with Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? All three are distinctive and different. All three offer different levels of beaches, hotels, bars, and restaurants.

It seems they are confusing them. We have been to LT which indeed has a large and obvious French presence and it was OK in spite of that, but nothing I would prefer over Cabarete , and Samana which creeped out the wife but did not notice any French presence to speak of.

Never been to Las Galeras.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have been to Samana, Las Terrenas, and Las Galeras. I prefer Las Galeras. Mainly because it is quiet, and my favorite beach is there. Playa Rincon. Also this place is great. But do not take your car there. Take a taxi or phone Pierre for a pick up.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...leras_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

And if you go to Playa Rincon, head left from the entrance to the end. A cold water River on one side and the Ocean on the other. And the Fat Lady cooking in the Blue Tent.