Buying a car

LUDUS

May 7, 2002
I'd like to buy a car/jeep/jeepetta for $6000 (US) or less to keep in the puerto plata area. I understand that prices are higher than in the US but I don't have much sense of the market in the DR. Am I better off going to Santo Domingo area? What about shipping a jeep in fro the US? Does anyone have esperience with this?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Based on what people who have tried to have a car shipped in have told me, I don't think this is a viable option.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Unless you already own a car that you truly want to have I believe that it is cheaper to buy locally. Customs give tax and duties exemptions to registered vehicle importers that you will not get. How about you check the newspaper before making your mind?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I agree with Pib

Based on my own experience, it's a much better idea to buy locally than to ship a vehicle from abroad, especially with the amount of money you have. Check the classified and try to stay away from the dealers, you might get a better bargain from an individual than a dealer.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A 1996/6 Suzuki Sidekick Sport will cost you about US $9,000 in the Puerto Plata dealerships - How does this compare to Santiago or Santo Domingo folks???

What year are you thinking of buying? When are you thinking of buying it & how much time do you have to "Look around"? My old JEEP Cherokee might well be up for sale in a couple of months time - very reliable but will need a bit of fiberglassing to make it into a REALLY tidy car!! 1989, 4 litre, 6 cylinder, carefully maintained but needs work on a couple of rusted areas - approx RD $70,000 (US $3,900). This should give you some ideas - If you need to visit some dealers, let me know as I have visited them regularly with thoughts of setting up a Subasta (Auction) in the Puerto Plata area, but no-one has got the guts to start one yet!! I have learnt who are the ones to trust & which ones should not be touched even with a 50 foot barge pole!!

Good hunting - Grahame.

T

TiberiusMineola

Visit Santo Domingo; teh LISTIN classifieds

I suggest that you visit Santo Domingo & Santiago; best to have a Dominican go for you, not with you; visit 4 - 6 - 8 new car dealers; take copious notes. This will give you a feel for the price range you should be in. Then buy LISTIN DIARIO; avoid Sat. & Sun editions, not many classifieds. Look in the classifieds - seperate section; used cars are arranged by types & then makes. There are a lot of 1994 - 2002 cars for sale, usually private parties, usually in Santo Domingo. All models, but not all makes, are available. Visit the seller, then baragin hard. Emphasize CASH. There are frequently distress or forced sales. Recent cars in exc condition @ reasonable prices can be found. Be patient, takes notes; it gets very confusing.