television

kdewayne1

Feb 17, 2002
is it possible,well i know it is possible, but is it smart to bring a television with me or better to buy one when i get there.,. if i did bring one with me what would i have deal with no the airport????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
TVs are easy to obtain here and not that expensive. Best, in my opinion, are those with an internal voltage regulator that provide some protection from the frequent spikes and voltage drops. The quality of electrical power here is not what you are used to.

I'd recommend the LG brand. They have voltage regulators and are the easiest brand to get repairs on.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You can get a good-sized TV (21 inches) for about US$300, and like the advice given by Ken it will have a voltage protector incorporated. You will be charged extra freight, plus the extra time for the item to clear separate customs, and there will be a small duty since you will not be able to bring this as luggage with you. So, all considered, the savings are probably not worth the hassle of bringing one down from the States.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Additionally, the TV you would bring would not be likely to have the built in voltage protection, since where you are coming from is likely to have much more reliable power than we do in the DR. .

Here appliances and things like TV sets, which are in use much of the day, must be able to withstand voltage spikes and drops, power outages (including the jolt that often accompanies the restoration of power) etc. A voltage regulator is essential.