Santiago

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
There are many guaguas de boladora operating out of Santiago. These tend to be the small buses with the man, el cobrador, hanging off, calling out the destination, Moca, Moca, Moca. Expreso Liniero also operates to Dajabón. You find these buses at Las Carreras esquina 30 de Marzo on the fringes of the Centro Ciudad. There are also buses to Puerto Plata and Sosua.

Three things about Metro Tours: First, you ride the whole way to the station in Santo Domingo, rather than getting out at your destination along the way. The Santiago terminal is at Salvador Estrella Sadhalá casi esquina Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte, cerca del elevado. (Do not confuse Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte with Calle Duarte, which also starts in the Centro Histórico) The terminal in Santo Domingo is at Avenida Winston Churchill, near 27 de Febrero but nowhere near any subway stations. Second, the subway is called Metro, so be careful to tell your taxi driver without ambiguity. Yes, it happened to me, where the taxi driver brought me to a subway station when I didn’t even know Santo Domingo has a subway. Of course, it is easier and less expensive to use a different line. Third, the Metro Tours buses run less frequently.

If you are going to Santo Domingo, you can also take Transporte Espinal, Caribe Tours, or Aetra. At any of these, you can get off at kilómetro 9, which is along the provincial boundary between Provincia Santo Domingo and Distrito Nacional. The Metro subway stop María Montéz is here, and it costs 35 pesos to ride to any other subway stop or the Teleférico.

Returning to Santiago, at María Montéz, you can use the footbridge to cross Autopista Duarte and reach the Aetra terminal. Here, Google Maps conflicts with Mapquest on the provincial boundary line.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........If you are going to Santo Domingo, you can also take Transporte Espinal, Caribe Tours, or Aetra. At any of these, you can get off at kilómetro 9, which is along the provincial boundary between Provincia Santo Domingo and Distrito Nacional. The Metro subway stop María Montéz is here, and it costs 35 pesos to ride to any other subway stop or the Teleférico...............

I agree with this part 101%. To make it even better the Metro subway is only 20 pesos which includes a transfer to either the Teleferico or Metro Line 1. Learning the Metro subway is very easy and there are stops at just about every main avenue or street.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Last I heard it was 20 pesos.
Please explain this price.

If you buy single-use tickets one at a time it costs 35 pesos. If you buy a rechargeable card it might be less per trip, but then there is a paper trail recording everywhere you entered and left a Metro station.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Whenever I travel to SD I use a metro card. Its 20 pesos.
There is no paper trail recording anything.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015

You bought the card. When you pass through the turnstile, a machine reads something from the card. When you exit, you put the card onto the reader and it reads something from the card. It knows one card from another. It knows what time it is and what station the reader is at. We have no reason to think the government isn’t using this as a technique to monitor personal movements. Of course, unlike EZPass it only knows the movements of the card and not the name of the user, but it is still too much information.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There are many guaguas de boladora operating out of Santiago. These tend to be the small buses with the man, el cobrador, hanging off, calling out the destination, Moca, Moca, Moca. Expreso Liniero also operates to Dajabón. You find these buses at Las Carreras esquina 30 de Marzo on the fringes of the Centro Ciudad. There are also buses to Puerto Plata and Sosua..

Santiago to Moca guagua starts at Las Carreras y esquina Calle Espana, not 30 de Marzo.
I use it 3 or 4 times a month. Your post are interesting.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you buy single-use tickets one at a time it costs 35 pesos. If you buy a rechargeable card it might be less per trip, but then there is a paper trail recording everywhere you entered and left a Metro station.

No way will I stand in line and buy a single use ticket every time I ride the Metro. Sometimes those ticket lines are so long it defeats the purpose of using the Metro as a time saver.

As far as the Metro card tracking your movements? Are you serious? Your darn cell phone is probably tracking your movements and you are not even aware.

I buy the rechargeable Metro card and the 20 trip package. Each trip then costs me 18 pesos (plus the one time 15 pesos for the card).

Other than that getting off the bus at kilometer 9 is something I have been doing for quite awhile and a real time saver. North coasters going to SDQ with little luggage this is also great. Take Line 2 all the way to MegaCentro in SD este and call Uber to take you from there to the airport.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Take Line 2 all the way to MegaCentro in SD este and call Uber to take you from there to the airport.

If ever catching a morning flight out of Santo Domingo, before 10:00am there is a bus from the
center of town that will drop you at SDQ departures. Its located on Calle Jose Marti one block north
of Calle Francisco Henriquez y Carvajal. Its the same bus that goes to Boca Chica but the last one
making the stop at the airport leaves at 10:00am. Price, 60 pesos as of June 2016.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is there a map of SD overlayed with the metro stops available online? I don't know my way around SD at all so I would need to be able to locate where I wished to end up before opting to get off the bus and hop on the subway.

I'd choose just about anything to avoid that final hour to go the last 12 km from the outskirts to the bus station in SD traffic. If I can get close faster, a shorter Uber ride is always welcome.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Is there a map of SD overlayed with the metro stops available online? I don't know my way around SD at all so I would need to be able to locate where I wished to end up before opting to get off the bus and hop on the subway.

I'd choose just about anything to avoid that final hour to go the last 12 km from the outskirts to the bus station in SD traffic. If I can get close faster, a shorter Uber ride is always welcome.

Google maps. Type in "Santo Domingo Metro"

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............I'd choose just about anything to avoid that final hour to go the last 12 km from the outskirts to the bus station in SD traffic. If I can get close faster, a shorter Uber ride is always welcome.

Exactly why I get off the bus at kilometer 9 and opt for Caribe Tours vs Metro. Metro autobus is a nicer, more comfortable ride but as mentioned it won't stop at kilometer 9. I remember one time that Metro bus took 45 minutes to make it down Winston Churchill to get to the bus depot, never again.

This may help in conjunction with the Google Maps.

http://www.metrosantodomingo.com/

http://www.metrosantodomingo.com/mapa-metro-santo-domingo.html

http://www.metrosantodomingo.com/estaciones-metro-santo-domingo.html

please note the maps have not been updated to include the Line 2B stops.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
2e15385.jpg

2n3vr9.jpg

This is kilometro 9 (photos courtesy of the internet). I call it chaos central. If you arrive around rush hour you will understand why. The round building is the Metro Subway Station. Maria Montez, it is the first/last stop so no need to concern yourself with which direction to go. You also have a very good chance of getting a seat on the subway.

From here Line 2 makes stops along JFK, Pedro Mir (Agora Mall/IKEA) being one of them. You can take Line 2 and transfer to Line 1 for stops up and down Maximo Gemez.

Remember Metro Autobus does NOT stop here. Caribe Tours or one of the other transport services mentioned in the OP is the way to go.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Google maps are okay, but show
inaccurate political boundaries, so Mapquest is more authoritative..

Thank you for pointing this out. Its very confusing trying to locate a metro
station / stop while using a map with inaccurate political boundaries :cheeky: