Warning to Playero customers using credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I have been a loyal and happy customer of Playero for quite a few years, and I started using my credit cards there a couple of years ago. There has never been any problem. My cards have never been cloned and the conversion to U.S. dollars has always been at the full prevailing exchange rate. But something has changed there as of about 6 weeks ago. I began noticing that the charges on my U.S. bank credit card were taking a significant hit on the prevailing exchange rate. At first I blamed my own bank for this, so I tried using different credit cards. But the exchange rate was no different no matter which card from which bank that I used. Thus it became obvious that the problem was on the Playero end of things.

So I went to Playero today to see if I could find out the reason for the dramatic change in exchange rate for all credit card purchases for the past 6 weeks. I brought receipts to show them what I was talking about. I pointed out that they were only giving me about 47.7 pesos per dollar on all my credit card purchases during the past 6 weeks, yet prior to that they were giving me about 49.7 pesos or whatever the prevailing rate was at the time. I even showed them receipts for recent credit card purchases at Super Pola and other local stores which showed that they were giving me about 49.7 pesos per dollar when using the same card at the same time that Playero was only giving me about 47.7 pesos per dollar. That’s about a 4 percent hit on all purchases that somebody is profiting. The Playero girl explained to me that they changed their credit card processor about 6 weeks ago, so clearly that is the reason why the use of a credit card in their store has suddenly become so expensive. And perhaps Playero gets a kickback on this excessive charge – I don’t know.

I spoke to a girl by the name of Maxiel and tried to explain to her that Playero would lose business from me as well as other customers if this continues. The predictable Dominican response was just a shrug. So then I asked to speak with her jefe or somebody in charge, thinking that perhaps someone with more authority might have some concern about losing business and could do something about this. Maxiel told me that her jefe was not in the store. So I asked when he would be in the store, and again she just shrugged and said she had no idea. So then I asked for the name of her jefe, and she said she didn’t know that either.

So if anymore from Playero who cares about their business reads this post, you need to be aware of this problem if you aren’t already aware. Your new credit card processor is turning off credit card customers due to their outrageous conversion rate from pesos to U.S. dollars. But if nobody at Playero cares, then I guess I don’t either. Fortunately there is another major supermarket in town who uses a credit card processing company that is not ripping off their customers.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They might be using the scam that changes US to Peso at purchase. Prevalent in Europe, but there you have to choose it over paying in Euros. Paying in Euros get the prevailing rate from your card, where choosing the conversion at purchase screws you.

Maybe here they just do it automatically at purchase to screw you. Like you said, there is another place to go and not get ripped off.

I may add that it is not your bank doing this. These cards are always competitive with excellent exchange rates all over the World. It has be done in the DR.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Let's see. A hundred dollar grocery shop @ 49.7 is 4970 pesos. The same hundred dollar grocery shop @ 47.7 is 4770 pesos. A difference of 200 pesos or FOUR dollars.

You really went out of your way to complain about that?

I really don't think they'll miss your business!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I always pay cash. Problem solved.
Also, when I use my American
ATM card to pull cash, I only use
it at Scotia Bank(same machine) this
way, if there is ever a discrepancy, my
US bank will only have to deal with one
Dominican bank, not several, to sort
out the mess. Ban Reservas gives me
good service, never had an issue with
my Ban card. I would never use a foreign
ATM/credit card to make a purchase in
a retail/ grocery store in this country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let's see. A hundred dollar grocery shop @ 49.7 is 4970 pesos. The same hundred dollar grocery shop @ 47.7 is 4770 pesos. A difference of 200 pesos or FOUR dollars.

So paying 4% more for groceries for no good reason is fine? People here complain about a bill in pesos that comes out the same, but this is OK? It adds up when you spend $400-500 a month that some of us do spend every month.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
So paying 4% more for groceries for no good reason is fine? People here complain about a bill in pesos that comes out the same, but this is OK? It adds up when you spend $400-500 a month that some of us do spend every month.

Pay in Pesos! After all it is the currency of the DR!

4% is fine if you want the convenience of paying in USD. Their CC machines give you the option to choose which currency is debited from your card. Choose Pesos and let your bank do the conversion or chose Dollars and know the exact amount that will be taken from your card.

Simples!

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

yes - if $100 of groceries costs a $4 premium
$500 will cost $20.....

The ATM costs $0 to go to....

It's a choice you must make....

Now if the ATM dings you for a few $$ per withdrawal

We get into high finance....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They may be dinging you for part of the credit card charges, not specifically the exchange rate..

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I have seen how quickly some of these threads can go south, so I will attempt to respond to some of the comments before that happens. First of all, I agree that this extra charge for credit card purchases is not the end of the world or anything that is going to change my lifestyle. The intent of my post was simply to make people aware and point out that it's a change from Playero's previous practice. And yes, I do consider $4 extra for a single grocery purchase to be real money. That's a 6-pack of Presidente, or $200 per year. It is admittedly not life-changing but I don't like throwing money away unnecessarily.

And I agree that simply paying cash would eliminate this problem. I may do that. I can withdraw pesos from any local bank ATM using my U.S. bank ATM card for no charge and at the prevailing exchange rate – no charge from my bank and they reimburse me at the end of each month for whatever ATM charges are made by the local Dominican bank. I use the credit cards simply for convenience and to help accumulate my points and frequent flyer miles. And in regards to the risks associated with using credit and ATM cards in this country, I am selective about the places where I use them, and I have seldom had any problems. But even on the rare occasions when I do, it is the bank’s problem – not mine. I simply report the unauthorized use of my card and the bank sends me a new card. It’s that simple. I could never understand why people get so uptight about this.

And lastly I was not aware that I had the option of making credit card purchases in either pesos or dollars. That option has never been offered to me, but I will look into it. If making the purchase in pesos means that my own bank will do the exchange instead of Playero’s credit card processor, then perhaps that will solve the problem.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

So $4 x 2 shopping visits a week x 52 weeks a year = $416 a year (That’s almost equal to a months rent here). So hell yes, I’d complain!

That said, I always try to pay in cash in the DR after the first two times my card was cloned and used fraudulently.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
And yes, I do consider $4 extra for a single grocery purchase to be real money.

You are one customer. I'm at Playero often due to my limited ability to purchase and transport a large grocery purchase. Often as in almost every time, I see someone in front of me pay with a credit card. Don't know if they are paying in USD or not but seems many people prefer credit. $200/year times XXXX number of regular customers would add up to a tidy sum of easy profit for someone.

Links well with the thread about the bar menu in USD. The take away point being, one has to religiously check the receipt and constantly monitor the exchange rate to be assured of getting a fair shake. Some don't care, some care but can't be bothered, and some find it all an unnecessary extra mental exercise that can easily be avoided.

To each their own. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Nothing wrong with more information to help people make their own decisions on how to conduct transactions in "the land the transparency forgot."

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
They may be dinging you for part of the credit card charges, not specifically the exchange rate..

Possibly. And if so, they certainly have every right to do that. But it is different than what they have done in the past and it is different than what other stores are doing.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Another cheap tread.

One store charges more then the other for certain items. The other store charges more for other items. Are we really back to who does what with $$$$? Really?

Go to the store of your choice that you don't like and run down to the other...…………….. that you don't like.

You have just chewed up a lot more in running back and forth, spent the time that has no cost to you other then... spending time bitching on DR1.

Hope that YOU feel better but really very much not wanting to hear about your... what it comes down to is $ pennies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The man has a RIGHT to INFORM people that one Grocery store is Deducting or CHARGING 4% on the use of Credit cards ..
4 % is a LOT of money . its not pennies.....
A high Volume Store like Playero should not be engaging in such practices , and imo they can not possibly be charged such a High Discount rate by whoever is processing their Credit card Payments.. they are a very high volume store.
Its quite possible that the Family who owns Playero is not even aware of this ,. and someone in Middle management is getting a big fat kick back by having SWITCHED to the New CC Processing Co....
I'm sure the owners Pride themselves on their Reputation , and being Treated like a small mom and pop store which pays Such HIGHEST PROCESSING FEES is in NO way something they would ever agree to or tolerate without a Fight .

IMO, Someone is getting FAT from this 4% SKIM.. and its most definitely a SKIM.. and the customer is paying it .
thank you for bringing it to peoples attention..

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
The man has a RIGHT to INFORM people that one Grocery store is Deducting or CHARGING 4% on the use of Credit cards ..
4 % is a LOT of money . its not pennies.....
A high Volume Store like Playero should not be engaging in such practices , and imo they can not possibly be charged such a High Discount rate by whoever is processing their Credit card Payments.. they are a very high volume store.
Its quite possible that the Family who owns Playero is not even aware of this ,. and someone in Middle management is getting a big fat kick back by having SWITCHED to the New CC Processing Co....
I'm sure the owners Pride themselves on their Reputation , and being Treated like a small mom and pop store which pays Such HIGHEST PROCESSING FEES is in NO way something they would ever agree to or tolerate without a Fight .

IMO, Someone is getting FAT from this 4% SKIM.. and its most definitely a SKIM.. and the customer is paying it .
thank you for bringing it to peoples attention..

Very very simple. If you don't like it. Go to another store.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very very simple. If you don't like it. Go to another store.

I did not sense that he was just Griping for himself .. like a One time experience , when you get ripped off for $2 or something.

He was INFORMING people .. there is a huge difference ....

This is 4% HIT , on ALL credit card Purchases , converted to usd, which other Grocery Stores are NOT charging ..

... I would almost call that a NEWS STORY..

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I did not sense that he was just Griping for himself .. like a One time experience , when you get ripped off for $2 or something.

He was INFORMING people .. there is a huge difference ....

This is 4% HIT , on ALL credit card Purchases , converted to usd, which other Grocery Stores are NOT charging ..

... I would almost call that a NEWS STORY..

Very very simple. YOU have a choice. If you don't like one place then go to another. Simple.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
I tend to agree with some others. There is no need to get panties in a bunch over this. Information shared......we all are a bit smarter to the OP's experience at the store. What we choose to do with the info is on us. Thanks for the info.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
rhanson

I read your responses and realize you understand...good

I often use my RD debit card... without problems

I avoid the USA cards... too many possible issues.

Stay local is the advice...me and others

My secret style is to stay ‘local’ as much as possible...
Anything foreign muddies the waters..... say I

Status
Not open for further replies.