Universal Studios theme park in Punta Cana?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
A young engineer who works in the Punta Cana area told me yesterday that Universal Studios will be opening a theme park in Punta Cana. He did not know the location. Anyone heard of this?

Googling Universal online, can see that aside from producing movies, the company owns and operates theme parks in Florida, California, and Japan. The theme parks have thrill rides, shows and family entertainment. Many attractions are based on classic and familiar Universal movies. Each park has its different experiences, so far.

Jan 7, 2016
Doubt it will ever happen...Punta Cana isn't ORLANDO or LA or Tokyo for that matter...Theme parks need volume and that is something severely lacking in Punta Cana. If they do come here, it won't last more than 2 seasons before they review their options and move-on, like a lot of other U.S. based businesses have done in the past.

Jan 7, 2016
The Melia property next to Palma Real isn't large enough to acomodate the type of projects that Universal undertakes. I just love rumors...What's the rumor on PARKING? TRAFFIC FLOW? Congestion?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Doubt it will ever happen...Punta Cana isn't ORLANDO or LA or Tokyo for that matter...Theme parks need volume and that is something severely lacking in Punta Cana. If they do come here, it won't last more than 2 seasons before they review their options and move-on, like a lot of other U.S. based businesses have done in the past.

Which other US of A based corporate structured businesses have opened, failed, and moved on from the Punta Cana region of RD?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The first Nickelodeon resort open in Punta Cana (in reality it´s in Uvero Alto) a year or two ago. Given that Nickelodeon is a Universal Studios brand, perhaps they are the owners of the Punta Cana resort? If so, how far fetch can it be for Universal Studios executives to see the potential of PC?

Universal Orlando is my favorite theme park, especially Islands of Adventure. I might be partial to change that if the build a theme park in the DR. Universal Orlando would become my second most favorite. Lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nickelodeon Resort in Punta Cana

[video=youtube;rnbR_N3lixw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbR_N3lixw[/video]

Oct 28, 2011
Why rumors and so much doubt???

The Melia property next to Palma Real isn't large enough to acomodate the type of projects that Universal undertakes. I just love rumors...What's the rumor on PARKING? TRAFFIC FLOW? Congestion?

I just Googled the area and it is fairly large, including Ana Maria lake, if theirs. Melia is a pretty large chain and owns a huge chunk of land around there...it is doubtful their administrator would have lied about the park. maybe it will be a scaled down version or a totally different park altogether! We shall see...