How much is the tax if I bring a new, factory sealed 55" HDTV with me?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Just curious, how are you planning on bringing it with you? Or do you mean shipping?

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Checked luggage

Just curious, how are you planning on bringing it with you? Or do you mean shipping?

Checked baggage. If the oversize dimensions apply, I'll bring a smaller HDTV (if one fits), or I'll bring the 55" and pay the airline fees, depending on how the cost/benefit review works out.

At some point, taking a taxi to Plaza Lama or Jumbo to buy a new Tecnomaster or Samsung/LG gets appealing, but I don't know where that point is.

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's been discussed here before, I don't believe you'll get it in as checked. As far as I know they all do length + width + height. if you're over a certain total they just wont do it.

And depending on the airline, it may change for Caribbean flights. (more restrictive)

I've done 32" in checked bag to POP, no issues.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Got it

Two minutes ago I got the news. No go. This airline won't accept cardboard boxes or television sets on an international flight.
Each bag must not exceed 62 inches and 70 pounds. If it weighs between 50 and 70 pounds, overweight fees apply.

Checked luggage with a tv inside seems like a grey area as an airline might say "no television sets on international flights".

But you're ok if you go to Cuba. None of the above applies if the destination is Cuba.

Last edited: