Fernando Rainieri died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently Frank Rainieri´s nephew (Fernando)yesterday got into a car accident on the autopista del Coral and earlier today died from his injuries.

Frank Rainieri is the founder of Punta Cana, considered to be the father of tourism in the region. He´s also one of the main owners of Grupo Puntacana, the Punta Cana Airport, Blue Mall Punta Cana, among other business and social ventures.

Fernando Rainieri, RIP
9aa4b35b-whatsapp-image-2018-09-19-at-7-50-13-pm-1.jpeg

[video=youtube;m5F-vAnsP40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5F-vAnsP40[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hmm, i wonder what happened? The front end of the Porsche is totally undamaged (you can see it at the end of the video). All the damage seems to be in the rear and on the sides.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Nephew I assume. With that kind of money they should be driven in an armored car. A volvo at least.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
He apparently tried to avoid a bus pulling onto the highway and lost control, probably due to high speed. This legs got badly injured (big man in a small car), one was amputated the same day and he needed several blood transfusions. Also suffered 2 heart attacks in the process. The next day doctors declared him brain dead and the family made the decision to disconnect him.

Hard hit for that closeknit family. His father passed away not 2 years ago and he was married with 2 kids.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Witnesses say the speedometer was pegged at 240 km.

The reason I keep telling folks why you can't speed on these roads Too many uneducated drivers who are oblivious to other vehicles. (Are you listening Frank12?)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Absolutely right

One must always remember.... the other driver is an uneducated one
Capable of anything

And the sadder part is this type of accident happens every single day here. So much they barely make the news unless it's somebody important.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004

The reason I keep telling folks why you can't speed on these roads Too many uneducated drivers who are oblivious to other vehicles. (Are you listening Frank12?)
Two wrongs dont make a right. In a civilized society if you exceed the speed limit by 25mph its criminal. Very criminal.

Many innocent lives are lost due to accidents caused by speeders.

Corruption and lack of law enforcement are the main reasons the DR will not be GREAT.

A reckless criminal is nothing more than a reckless criminal and should be treated as such.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Many innocent lives are lost due to accidents caused by speeders."

These a$$holes sticking to the left lane travelling slow are far worse and should get their license revoked if they have any.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
"Many innocent lives are lost due to accidents caused by speeders."

These a$$holes sticking to the left lane travelling slow are far worse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Death matters. Comparing someone going more than 25 miles over the speedlimit and someone legally going too slow is not a rational comparison.

Police should enforce all laws.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

These cars don't have digital speedometers?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
RIP Sr. Rainieri, those who have died in vehicles since, who will die today and those who will not survive tomorrow.

You can't bend the laws of physics, therefore, each driver must be taught and constantly remember that faster costs more.

The equation for Kenetic Energy reveals that the energy of an object is directly proportional to the square of its speed. That means that for a twofold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of four. For a threefold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of nine. And for a fourfold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of sixteen. The kinetic energy is dependent upon the square of the speed. As it is often said, an equation is not merely a recipe for algebraic problem solving, but also a guide to thinking about the relationship between quantities.

This is why even some relatively low speed collisions can be fatal. Our bodies did not evolve to absorb the forces experienced when the object we are travelling in comes to a sudden stop and we continue to move along at speed until we impact something that causes us to slow down. A seat belt will not keep your liver attached and in place above a certain speed - the tensile strength of our connective tissues is just not sufficient.

We all have seen it, we hear about it and know someone who has suffered through it, yet we rarely think about it as we roll down the road towards wherever we feel we need to be five minutes sooner.

Kudos to those that reflect on this point every time they climb into a vehicle.

If the Govt here really wishes to make a difference, enforcement needs to be stepped up and the roadways dotted with billboards (at least as large as the Presedente ads that can be seen for kilometers) reminding drivers that a little less pressure on the accelerator is always a good thing.

Sadly, not much will change and in due course someone else of public interest will meet the same fate and then we will be right back where we started...again.

Holiday weekend everyone, stay off the roads if you can, if not, be the tortoise not the hare and just maybe you'll get there.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I "love" the coca cola signs that are the same color and similar size of a stop sign placed exactly where stop signs should be.

Start with good signage. The easiest thing to enforce.
RIP Sr. Rainieri, those who have died in vehicles since, who will die today and those who will not survive tomorrow.

You can't bend the laws of physics, therefore, each driver must be taught and constantly remember that faster costs more.

The equation for Kenetic Energy reveals that the energy of an object is directly proportional to the square of its speed. That means that for a twofold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of four. For a threefold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of nine. And for a fourfold increase in speed, the kinetic energy will increase by a factor of sixteen. The kinetic energy is dependent upon the square of the speed. As it is often said, an equation is not merely a recipe for algebraic problem solving, but also a guide to thinking about the relationship between quantities.

This is why even some relatively low speed collisions can be fatal. Our bodies did not evolve to absorb the forces experienced when the object we are travelling in comes to a sudden stop and we continue to move along at speed until we impact something that causes us to slow down. A seat belt will not keep your liver attached and in place above a certain speed - the tensile strength of our connective tissues is just not sufficient.

We all have seen it, we hear about it and know someone who has suffered through it, yet we rarely think about it as we roll down the road towards wherever we feel we need to be five minutes sooner.

Kudos to those that reflect on this point every time they climb into a vehicle.

If the Govt here really wishes to make a difference, enforcement needs to be stepped up and the roadways dotted with billboards (at least as large as the Presedente ads that can be seen for kilometers) reminding drivers that a little less pressure on the accelerator is always a good thing.

Sadly, not much will change and in due course someone else of public interest will meet the same fate and then we will be right back where we started...again.

Holiday weekend everyone, stay off the roads if you can, if not, be the tortoise not the hare and just maybe you'll get there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I "love" the coca cola signs that are the same color and similar size of a stop sign placed exactly where stop signs should be.

Start with good signage. The easiest thing to enforce.

Speaking of signage. When driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa through Santiago the other day, I noticed numerous "STOP" signs placed at intersections that were controlled by traffic lights. That is simply the wrong thing to do.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I love when santiago has carnival, and have the big beer signs overlapping on the already narrow main thoroughfare. Who is getting the kickbacks for this to happen?
Speaking of signage. When driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa through Santiago the other day, I noticed numerous "STOP" signs placed at intersections that were controlled by traffic lights. That is simply the wrong thing to do.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Bavaro there is (was) an intersection coming out of where Cocotal is that crosses the main hwy. NO stop sign at all. But everyone pretty much knows to stop. One day a person did not know. Now the crossing is closed with barrels and there is one less person alive here....................

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Excessive speed, regardless how skilled a driver or rider you think you are, is a fools errand. The driving culture of the DR just increases the risk in such foolishness.

"Accidents" like this are entirely avoidable.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
While I agree speeding is an issue, lets not pretend most of us have never fallen for the temptation to speed on those ruler straight stretches of Dominican highways. I tend to drive defensively and even I at times have fallen for the temptation, especially when the car is designed for speed and the likelihood a police will stop you is slim. Come on now, lets leave the hypocrisy checked at the door.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
There is speed and there is completely ludicrous speed.

Yes i have set my cruise for 8 miles over the speed limit.
While I agree speeding is an issue, lets not pretend most of us have never fallen for the temptation to speed on those ruler straight stretches of Dominican highways. I tend to drive defensively and even I at times have fallen for the temptation, especially when the car is designed for speed and the likelihood a police will stop you is slim. Come on now, lets leave the hypocrisy checked at the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.