Eats Sosua and Cabarete - good news bad news.....

Aug 21, 2007
Restaurants change hands regularly here on the North Coast. Living here for almost 14 years, I am used to that. We have had our old standbys in both Sosua and Cabarete. Lately, I see that even those are undergoing changes.....some good, some not so.....

Belgium Bakery in Cabarete. Although I was a regular, every day customer several months over the past year, I see a serious decline in food quality and customer service. I won't go into detail, but I hope the recent changes can be reversed. For now, I will no longer stop.

Sad to see Rocky's Agua situation, but happy that the original owner opened a restaurant in Sosua. The food is good and I hope it succeeds. Sadly, Sosua is looking increasingly trashy lately. I try to avoid Pedro Clisante in the night hours. But I hope the night crowd frequents the place as I would like it to succeed.

Tonight, we decided to go to Don Andre's for Tito's food. As soon as we sat down, we noticed that something was not right. Tito's name on the sign inside the restaurant was painted over. The menus were new. The prices were higher. And there were new items on the menu. We asked and were told that Tito was no longer there.

What I will say is that the food we ordered was very good. The service was good. The owner (?) manager was at our table several times asking if everything was okay. While we liked Tito over the years, I cannot complain about our experience tonight. Taxes were included in the menu. Maybe that accounts for the higher prices. And I believe any restaurant these days that tries to skirt taxes is playing with fire.

We will return to the restaurant again and hope that Tito opens up a new place. Then we have 2 new places to eat!

I tell myself that change is part of life. Sosua and Cabarete will never be the same as they always were. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes, no.

I hope this thread does not turn out to be posts and more posts of complaints. There is too much negativity around. I try to avoid it.

I am merely trying to give an update regarding restaurants in Cabarete and Sosua. I hope you do the same.

Lindsey

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacquot

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Belgium Bakery in Cabarete. Although I was a regular, every day customer several months over the past year, I see a serious decline in food quality and customer service. I won't go into detail, but I hope the recent changes can be reversed. For now, I will no longer stop.

wowza. you're breaking my heart here. i did not visit the place often but it was a must whenever i was in the area. sad to hear they are declining in the quality of the product.

I hope this thread does not turn out to be posts and more posts of complaints. There is too much negativity around. I try to avoid it.

no worries, i will keep things in check.

posters are welcomed to chip in on other NC locations too: puerto plata, cofresi, maimon... please let us know what locations you like and visit often and what places you avoid and why.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My favourites in Sosua:

Taberna El Conde. Consistently good food. Great choice. Inspired specials and a great atmosphere for a pub type of ambience.

Margots. Love the curry specials. Menu has something for everyone. Almost a fine dining experience at reasonable prices. Superb service and location.

Nelsons Lounge and Bistro. Constantly improving the menu and location. A must if you have young children who can play on the jungle gym whilst you dine.

drisforme

May 28, 2016

Maybe one or 2 bad experiences ? I hope otherwise I will be like very disappointed and lost on Sunday morrning :)

Also ,a regular. Going every Sunday morning .Noticed the change in the crew except one person behind the counter.
However, did not notice a change on quality .
The tradition remains the same with new crew:
Serve small pastry with the coffee on Sunday.Yesterday ,was a macaron ,last Sunday was a Napoleon .Both excellent.
Usually, get coffee, omelette and pina juice....The menu did not change with the same reasonable price.

Aug 21, 2007
I want all North Coast businesses to succeed. When they do well, everybody wins - the owner, the workers (through jobs and tips), the tourists, and you and I. Successful businesses bring more tourists. For me, more tourists bring more value to my property.

We are fortunate to have many choices of good restaurants on the North Coast. I speak mostly for Sosua and Cabarete.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned above by Beeza and myself, in Sosua there is

Casa 21
Bologna
Sea Horse Ranch
Sosua Ocean Village

These are all better restaurants, for nice dinners, not lunch places or fast food. Would love to see a list of this type of restaurant, too.

In Cabarete, we like

Bliss
Velero Beach Resort
Otra Cosa
Papi's
Pomodoro's (for salads and their cold pizza with arugula, capers, onions, and fresh mozzarella)

My husband says that Vagamundo is the best for breakfast. I have never been there but there are always lots of cars and people there as I pass on the road.

And must add my favorite of all - Blue Moon as you head up the mountain. However, you need reservations for Blue Moon and 6 people.

I often get in a rut and go back to the same places. If others could add to this short list, you would give me and others more options.

Lindsey

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
we too were sad to see the closing of Rocky's. we don't usually eat in Sosua parking & traffic are a nightmare. we love Crazy Ranch when were in the mood for great BBQ.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Crazy Ranch is OK - not world class barbecue.
I like El Choco (Chalet Suizo) because it's consistent and reasonable priced and away from fat-hooker-in-spandex-Pedro Clisante-Loud Motoconcho-Alley - Which is why I questioned Finn McCools locating there. But maybe they will attract the Jet Blue without a rent-a-car crowd, next month will find out.

I also like Skinia in Puerto Plata - great atmosphere and music and good food.

What is needed and would go over big is a good Mexican place in Sosua. Any Mexicans looking at this forum come and give it a try.

And of course a Crispy Creme - but that may be dreaming ?

Aug 21, 2007
What is "arugula"?

Arugula or rocket is an edible annual plant in the Brassicaceae family used as a leaf vegetable for its fresh peppery flavor. Other common names include garden rocket, or simply rocket, and eruca. Some additional names are "rocket salad", "rucola", "rucoli", "rugula", "colewort", and "roquette". Wikipedia

Lindsey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sadly, there are currently five restaurants in a row closed on Cabarete beach. Some may be closed temporarily until the high season - I don't know. But it doesn't look good.

I would add to the list of good restaurants in the Cabarete area Natura Cabana and Bayerische Hoff.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bayerische Hoff. If this is Ricardo's place near the Cell Tower they have the best wienerschnitzel anywhere. Also #108 on the menu is legend in itself. Just ask Badpiece about that one...........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I tell myself that change is part of life. Sosua and Cabarete will never be the same as they always were. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes, no.
---Lindsey

Not trying to sound negative but still really curious to see
whether or not the Chinese snatch up the quaint little town
of Sosua and within a few short years its nothing more than
a shell of its former self.

Maybe one or 2 bad experiences ? I hope otherwise I will be like very disappointed and lost on Sunday morrning :)

Also ,a regular. Going every Sunday morning .Noticed the change in the crew except one person behind the counter.
However, did not notice a change on quality .
The tradition remains the same with new crew:
Serve small pastry with the coffee on Sunday.Yesterday ,was a macaron ,last Sunday was a Napoleon .Both excellent.
Usually, get coffee, omelette and pina juice....The menu did not change with the same reasonable price.

Had breakfast there 3 days ago and the food was good as always and the service was also very good, Hope it was a onetime bad experience for the original poster

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bayerische Hoff. If this is Ricardo's place near the Cell Tower they have the best wienerschnitzel anywhere. Also #108 on the menu is legend in itself.

Would you please provide directions to this restaurant?

Thx.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
we too were sad to see the closing of Rocky's. we don't usually eat in Sosua parking & traffic are a nightmare. we love Crazy Ranch when were in the mood for great BBQ.

Rocky's is NOT closed. It is being run by Milka and her family. Please help her out by visiting soon.

Thank you and take care.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Bayerische Hoff. If this is Ricardo's place near the Cell Tower they have the best wienerschnitzel anywhere. Also #108 on the menu is legend in itself. Just ask Badpiece about that one...........

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...Puerto_Plata_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

This place DOES Indeed look VERY Authentic German...
I see they also serve Erdinger Weisse.. in a PROPER WeiZen Glass... .that speaks volumes ..
Amazing that i have never heard of it before...
This is now a MUST DO..

Open up the pictures in that link... the pictures speak a thousand words ...

I was gonna recommend my GO TO Germann restaurant in Sosua, at Rancho Hotel... but its very small and hot .. Andy is excellent though..

but NOW I am Fascinated by this place .. if those pics are real... that is as authentic German as I have ever seen on the North Coast .. period ...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...Puerto_Plata_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

This place DOES Indeed look VERY Authentic German...
I see they also serve Erdinger Weisse.. in a PROPER WeiZen Glass... .that speaks volumes ..
Amazing that i have never heard of it before...
This is now a MUST DO..

Open up the pictures in that link... the pictures speak a thousand words ...

I was gonna recommend my GO TO Germann restaurant in Sosua, at Rancho Hotel... but its very small and hot .. Andy is excellent though..

but NOW I am Fascinated by this place .. if those pics are real... that is as authentic German as I have ever seen on the North Coast .. period ...

HA, that will be my first weekend trip after moving to Santiago :D Haxn!!! :D