Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican citizenship through marriage to a Dominican anyone applied for it?

Has anyone gone through the process? if so how long did it take? can you explain you experience of the process, your hiccups and where you stumbled along the way to becoming a Dominican Citizen. I have just completed 1 yrs perm residence and I am about to apply for the citizenship.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I went through it. On the one hand it is not difficult but on the other the Ministry of Interior and Police is appalling at explaining, appalling at communication and excellent at stalling. They change the rules all the time, don't tell you and don't update the website. Having said that I have just checked and the website is updated and there are now even more requirements! http://www.mip.gob.do/images/natural...matrimonio.pdf

When I was there once, waiting for an interview, the receptionist was answering the phone constantly. She was obviously being asked about progress by applicants. She would say, please hold the line, go back to playing candy crush on her cellphone, not ask anyone and then say, we are still awaiting paperwork, call back in 2 months. Same answer to everyone.

There is a new director, who I don't know. It took me 3 years as waiting for an Interpol report which never arrived as it was never requested. When I was sworn in a year ago I was told they were back to a 6 month timeframe. Advice is to go through the list of requirements in detail and get them all exactly as needed.Don't do the foreign birth certs etc too far in advance as I think they still need to be under 6 months. The Ministry like to see both parties and from what I can tell are not very fond of Lawyers, preferring to deal with the actual applicants. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still going through it. I had to apply for a RS visa at the consulate and when I arrived in Santiago they say my documents are not sufficient, after I was assured at the consulate that they were. To make things worse the RS visa is only valid for one entry and I could not go back and get the documents. In this case the requested paper was a antecedentes penalesm a rap sheet. If anyone tells you that the state police one works, well they pulled that on me and it does not work once you arrive here. If you are USA you need the FBI one, and there is a cottage industry of channelers who you can pay to channel your request and get the document; then it must be apostilled, by the US State Department and they take forever to get off their asses and do work, unless the document is brought in by somebody, so guess what: another business opportunity http://www.usauthentication.com/index.php and you get the document in time before your RS visa expires. Presently I am fed up but if I give up, that is what they want. Check out my video about this: https://youtu.be/6fJilgPg4QY

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through the process and am now a citizen. Like Matilda says the only real hiccup was the interpol police report. I ended up getting the RCMP police report from Canada and that was accepted, after getting it legalized/certified by the Canadian embassy and official translated and stamped by the Dominican Foreign Services ( in Santo Domingo).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole process is a big pain.. you know where. As Mathilda said it takes time and patience. You have to go to Interior & Policia, submit your documents based on the requisitos and they will tell you if it's ok or if there's something missing. When your file is " in process", it may take up to 6 months, maybe more. Then they call you for the interview and test. This is the government, cannot expect things to go smoothly or fast. Good luck.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SomebodySmart View Post
    I am still going through it. I had to apply for a RS visa at the consulate and when I arrived in Santiago they say my documents are not sufficient, after I was assured at the consulate that they were. To make things worse the RS visa is only valid for one entry and I could not go back and get the documents. In this case the requested paper was a antecedentes penalesm a rap sheet. If anyone tells you that the state police one works, well they pulled that on me and it does not work once you arrive here. If you are USA you need the FBI one, and there is a cottage industry of channelers who you can pay to channel your request and get the document; then it must be apostilled, by the US State Department and they take forever to get off their asses and do work, unless the document is brought in by somebody, so guess what: another business opportunity http://www.usauthentication.com/index.php and you get the document in time before your RS visa expires. Presently I am fed up but if I give up, that is what they want. Check out my video about this: https://youtu.be/6fJilgPg4QY
    Update: On 27 September 2018 my lawyer contacted Migración in Santiago and was told the residencia would be available in Santo Domingo de Guzmán, so we went there on 28 September 2018, hung around until finally they gave us the expediente for the cédula and we jumped into a taxi and rode across town to the Junta Central Electoral and I got my cédula! and we returned to Migración and hung around until after 16:00 closing when they said the expediente for the residencia temporal still was not signed and so they could not take my photo again, but at least I get to show off my cédula proudly, and my lawyer says the number never changes. BTW unlike Social Security numbers, the cédula number also gets broadcast publicly. A USA person probably would not like it if a newspaper legal notice about him or her also included the Social Security number, because unforgivably sloppy bank practice allows people to rattle off your details to a banker over the telephone or internet and get mailed a credit card with you name on it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to do the one year of residency first?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I went through the process and am now a citizen. Like Matilda says the only real hiccup was the interpol police report. I ended up getting the RCMP police report from Canada and that was accepted, after getting it legalized/certified by the Canadian embassy and official translated and stamped by the Dominican Foreign Services ( in Santo Domingo).
    Thanks for your response to my post, Could you tell me what were the questions you were asked in the interview regarding your knowledge of Spanish and the history of DR, how many questions were asked?

Post Thanks / Like

Its two years now with a year to run.

Matilda

www.DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

The questions and answers are on a sticky in the Residents forum https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...85-Citizenship. Not sure if you have to ask for access. However, it used to be on the website but now it isnt so it may be different. Can't see it will be that different though. The exam was oral and is now written.
    if you want the old list of 40 odd questions and answers pm me your email - when you have 10 posts!

Matilda

www.DR1.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast