DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Move over Chinatown and Little Italy

Little Dominican Republic

17A039E8-8F2D-4FAB-B8F3-172451641E3B.jpg

https://patch.com/new-york/washingto...nican-republic
    I have a friend down here very upper class makes many trips to NYC. Asked her once if she had ever been to washington heights, her answer was I don't go to Villa milla why would I go the washington heights.

3. Likes Caonabo, Hlywud, rfp liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard the whole area is currently going through a major
    "gentrification" where dozens of well-established Dominican owned
    businesses have been pushed out along with some of the life long
    residents. Good luck with it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    I have a friend down here very upper class makes many trips to NYC. Asked her once if she had ever been to washington heights, her answer was I don't go to Villa milla why would I go the washington heights.
    No offense, but your friend sounds like a snob. While Washington Heights is not perfect, it is no where near what it was in the 80's and 90's nor is it like the South Bronx.

6. Likes irishpaddy, Bronxboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a funny answer but very true....got love these people with the cash...

8. Likes John Boyter liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your friend would have a hard time finding an apartment under $2500/month along Riverside Drive from 145th st. to the George Washington Bridge. I stayed with a friend for a week last year in the middle of Wash. Heights and the gentrification mentioned is in full swing; most working class Dominicans, as well as non-Dominicans cannot afford to live there. What is the range for rentals
    in "Villa milla"?

10. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    Your friend would have a hard time finding an apartment under $2500/month along Riverside Drive from 145th st. to the George Washington Bridge. I stayed with a friend for a week last year in the middle of Wash. Heights and the gentrification mentioned is in full swing; most working class Dominicans, as well as non-Dominicans cannot afford to live there. What is the range for rentals
    in "Villa milla"?
    Who care what the range is in Villa Milla is. Was not the point of the statement. More along the lines of why she would not visit there has nothing to do with rent or buy ranges. more to do with environment.

12. Likes Caonabo, Aguaita29 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Who care what the range is in Villa Milla is. Was not the point of the statement. More along the lines of why she would not visit there has nothing to do with rent or buy ranges. more to do with environment.
    I understand,,,,,,,,,,, some folks just got to twist things where it don't make sense.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

NYC can be disgusting, especially in the hot, muggy, and SMELLY summers making places like Washington Heights simply best avoided. Certain parts of NYC certainly puts in serious question the notion that it is a city in a rich, organized, clean; and developed country.

More on topic, I find it interesting they decided on ‘Little Dominican Republic’ when probably 99% of Dominicans (and many other Latinos too, especially Puerto Ricans and Cubans) refer to the DR simply as Santo Domingo. Even the Spaniards when talking informally refer to the DR as Santo Domingo. Little Santo Domingo sounds better. Don´t have to move the tongue so much and its simply smoother to say. It might confuse non-Latin people who might think it would refer to the capital instead of the country, but anyone that knows Dominicans knows that Santo Domingo city is simply La Capital and Santo Domingo is the country.
    Last edited by NALs; 09-25-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    NYC can be disgusting, especially in the hot, muggy, and SMELLY summers making places like Washington Heights simply best avoided. Certain parts of NYC certainly puts in serious question the notion that it is a city in a rich, organized, clean; and developed country.

More on topic, I find it interesting they decided on ‘Little Dominican Republic’ when probably 99% of Dominicans (and many other Latinos too, especially Puerto Ricans and Cubans) refer to the DR simply as Santo Domingo. Even the Spaniards when talking informally refer to the DR as Santo Domingo. Little Santo Domingo sounds better. Don´t have to move the tongue so much and its simply smoother to say. It might confuse non-Latin people who might think it would refer to the capital instead of the country, but anyone that knows Dominicans knows that Santo Domingo city is simply La Capital and Santo Domingo is the country.
    Two butthurt parties in the way of a Santo Domingo country name: Cibaeños and Haitians (the latter because of the Frenchified version of the name, Saint-Domingue, which even to this day evokes for them hated colonial slavery).

But I agree with you, Santo Domingo is way better and easier, indeed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast