AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Move over Chinatown and Little Italy

Little Dominican Republic

17A039E8-8F2D-4FAB-B8F3-172451641E3B.jpg

https://patch.com/new-york/washingt...an-designated-first-little-dominican-republic

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I heard the whole area is currently going through a major
"gentrification" where dozens of well-established Dominican owned
businesses have been pushed out along with some of the life long
residents. Good luck with it.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I have a friend down here very upper class makes many trips to NYC. Asked her once if she had ever been to washington heights, her answer was I don't go to Villa milla why would I go the washington heights.

No offense, but your friend sounds like a snob. While Washington Heights is not perfect, it is no where near what it was in the 80's and 90's nor is it like the South Bronx.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have a friend down here very upper class makes many trips to NYC. Asked her once if she had ever been to washington heights, her answer was I don't go to Villa milla why would I go the washington heights.
thats a funny answer but very true....got love these people with the cash...

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004

Your friend would have a hard time finding an apartment under $2500/month along Riverside Drive from 145th st. to the George Washington Bridge. I stayed with a friend for a week last year in the middle of Wash. Heights and the gentrification mentioned is in full swing; most working class Dominicans, as well as non-Dominicans cannot afford to live there. What is the range for rentals
in "Villa milla"?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Your friend would have a hard time finding an apartment under $2500/month along Riverside Drive from 145th st. to the George Washington Bridge. I stayed with a friend for a week last year in the middle of Wash. Heights and the gentrification mentioned is in full swing; most working class Dominicans, as well as non-Dominicans cannot afford to live there. What is the range for rentals
in "Villa milla"?

Who care what the range is in Villa Milla is. Was not the point of the statement. More along the lines of why she would not visit there has nothing to do with rent or buy ranges. more to do with environment.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Who care what the range is in Villa Milla is. Was not the point of the statement. More along the lines of why she would not visit there has nothing to do with rent or buy ranges. more to do with environment.

I understand,,,,,,,,,,, some folks just got to twist things where it don't make sense.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NYC can be disgusting, especially in the hot, muggy, and SMELLY summers making places like Washington Heights simply best avoided. Certain parts of NYC certainly puts in serious question the notion that it is a city in a rich, organized, clean; and developed country.

More on topic, I find it interesting they decided on ‘Little Dominican Republic’ when probably 99% of Dominicans (and many other Latinos too, especially Puerto Ricans and Cubans) refer to the DR simply as Santo Domingo. Even the Spaniards when talking informally refer to the DR as Santo Domingo. Little Santo Domingo sounds better. Don´t have to move the tongue so much and its simply smoother to say. It might confuse non-Latin people who might think it would refer to the capital instead of the country, but anyone that knows Dominicans knows that Santo Domingo city is simply La Capital and Santo Domingo is the country.

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
NYC can be disgusting, especially in the hot, muggy, and SMELLY summers making places like Washington Heights simply best avoided. Certain parts of NYC certainly puts in serious question the notion that it is a city in a rich, organized, clean; and developed country.

More on topic, I find it interesting they decided on ‘Little Dominican Republic’ when probably 99% of Dominicans (and many other Latinos too, especially Puerto Ricans and Cubans) refer to the DR simply as Santo Domingo. Even the Spaniards when talking informally refer to the DR as Santo Domingo. Little Santo Domingo sounds better. Don´t have to move the tongue so much and its simply smoother to say. It might confuse non-Latin people who might think it would refer to the capital instead of the country, but anyone that knows Dominicans knows that Santo Domingo city is simply La Capital and Santo Domingo is the country.

Two butthurt parties in the way of a Santo Domingo country name: Cibaeños and Haitians (the latter because of the Frenchified version of the name, Saint-Domingue, which even to this day evokes for them hated colonial slavery).

But I agree with you, Santo Domingo is way better and easier, indeed.

Sep 4, 2012
Little Dominican Republic is lame.

I also agree, little Santo Domingo or just little DR would've been a nicer designation.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
No offense, but your friend sounds like a snob. While Washington Heights is not perfect, it is no where near what it was in the 80's and 90's nor is it like the South Bronx.

Its still a dump. It may have improved in recent years but I wouldn't know. I stay far away.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Why the animosity?

rfp, it's still a 'dump' if you stay away or claim to not know? Seems like a contradictory statement.
If people like Leo DiCaprio and other Hollywood celebrities visit Dominican-owned establishments in the Heights, I wouldn't say it's a 'dump'.

Washington Heights is now one of the upcoming neighborhoods in NYC, as others have stated, for better or for worse, the Heights is going through 'gentrification'--many buildings and apartments have been remodeled, there is a wide variety of restaraunts, not just Dominican, and some others that offer very interesting fusions with Dominican cuisine, but, most importantly, the Dominican-Americans have also added their touch (both good and bad) and that has also influenced the type of establishments that are opened there that cater to a traditional, older Dominican audience and a younger, American-influenced Dominican-American audience.

I really don't get the animosity expressed by some here toward NYC and the Heights.

Last edited:

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I understand,,,,,,,,,,, some folks just got to twist things where it don't make sense.

Not really, I just see that someone gave it the same sentiment that the original post insinuated of the Heights somehow being an unpleasant place or environment for being a poorer area as the Villa Mella sector in SDQ is;

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Two butthurt parties in the way of a Santo Domingo country name: Cibaeños and Haitians (the latter because of the Frenchified version of the name, Saint-Domingue, which even to this day evokes for them hated colonial slavery).

But I agree with you, Santo Domingo is way better and easier, indeed.

Little Dominican Republic is more accurate, in my experience, the fact that the DR is referred to as Santo Domingo by some has actually caused confusion for other Latinos whom have asked me to confirm the real name of the country, which triggers a small history lesson.

The name Little Dominican Republic will turn into "Little DR" in any case, which is quite easy.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It might confuse non-Latin people who might think it would refer to the capital instead of the country, but anyone that knows Dominicans knows that Santo Domingo city is simply La Capital and Santo Domingo is the country.

100% Agreed.
Everyone I know down here calls it "La Capital".

Apr 7, 2014
Most.of those wealthy enough dont even set foot in.NYC, apart from flying in and out of LGA or JFK. They most often stay in Jersey, shop.at Short Hills or the Palisades in Paramus.
Or if they do come into the City its 5th Av shopping at Hermes or the Apple Store.

Miami is a better location for idle tourism because of the intensity of Spanish.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2014
I heard the whole area is currently going through a major
"gentrification" where dozens of well-established Dominican owned
businesses have been pushed out along with some of the life long
residents. Good luck with it.
Yea man, think about it. Expansion of Columbia Presbyterian means the interns, doctors want first dibs and can pay the most on those pre-War apartments. And the additional medical offices. Then furthrr up you have Hackensack University Medical Center on the other side of the bridge which doubles the preference for living quarters close to the GWB.

Apr 7, 2014
Dont bad.mouth the South Bronx. Clearly you didnt see the Real Estate section of the Sunday New York Times, September 16, 2018. The South Bronx was on the front page.