Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56
  1. #41
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    No, I do not reside in the area, but I did visit the region last week on business. Specifically, the locations I have previously mentioned, and I do stand by my assertions. The manner in which you speak of Mexicans, who actually happen to be not just Mexican but also migrants of other Central American nations, is the same manner in which many once referred to Dominicans when they started entering the area generations ago. Certain terminologies are not permitted within regular topic boards of this forum, so I have been abstaining from mentioning them.
    I don't understand the insistence of some island Dominicans on wanting to tell U.S. Dominicans how they're lives are here or their nuances, I don't do that to Dominicans back home because I've never lived there, no matter how many times I visit and stay for vacation, it will never be the same as me actually living there day-to-day and experiencing its nuances. I can't tell the difference btwn Central American/Mexican native looking Latinos, I don't mean that as an insult, I actually need to hear them speaking and try to make out their accents to tell them apart. If the way I refer to them is similar or the same as Dominicans were referred to, then (unfortunately) so be it, I'm not sugarcoating the reality; yes, Dominicans have greatly contributed to NYC both positively and negatively and regarding the negative it would be naive to say that Dominicans improved the neighborhood, go see the Jewish area of the Heights and go see Dyckman, BIG difference. Non-Dominican Latinos are also from poor economic backgrounds and come there to make a living and go through the same struggles most Dominicans there go through, you simply do not see that with the high earning white folks that move into these neighborhoods, not sure why anyone would have an issue with this distinction.

  2. Likes Africaida, Wishing you well liked this post
  3. #42
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    I don't understand the insistence of some island Dominicans on wanting to tell U.S. Dominicans how they're lives are here or their nuances, I don't do that to Dominicans back home because I've never lived there, no matter how many times I visit and stay for vacation, it will never be the same as me actually living there day-to-day and experiencing its nuances. I can't tell the difference btwn Central American/Mexican native looking Latinos, I don't mean that as an insult, I actually need to hear them speaking and try to make out their accents to tell them apart. If the way I refer to them is similar or the same as Dominicans were referred to, then (unfortunately) so be it, I'm not sugarcoating the reality; yes, Dominicans have greatly contributed to NYC both positively and negatively and regarding the negative it would be naive to say that Dominicans improved the neighborhood, go see the Jewish area of the Heights and go see Dyckman, BIG difference. Non-Dominican Latinos are also from poor economic backgrounds and come there to make a living and go through the same struggles most Dominicans there go through, you simply do not see that with the high earning white folks that move into these neighborhoods, not sure why anyone would have an issue with this distinction.
    On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
    Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.

  4. Likes Naked_Snake liked this post
  5. #43
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
    Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.
    I agree there are very big apartments in the Heights, I have relatives around Fort Washington and off of St Nicholas/190th and their apartments are humongous. Fort Washington area by the bridge is very nice, I go get my hair done at a salon on 172nd often; sad to see gringos moving into this area now, but it's popular with cyclists that like to bike along the Palisades paths since the area is right by the GWB and makes it easy access.

    p.s. Paris is more beautiful, one of my fave cities, love it there

  6. #44
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
    Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.
    True. Mr AE’s sister lived in a massive three bedroom apartment, if I remember correctly it was around 141st east of Broadway.

    Admin
    DR1.com

  7. #45
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    I agree there are very big apartments in the Heights, I have relatives around Fort Washington and off of St Nicholas/190th and their apartments are humongous. Fort Washington area by the bridge is very nice, I go get my hair done at a salon on 172nd often; sad to see gringos moving into this area now, but it's popular with cyclists that like to bike along the Palisades paths since the area is right by the GWB and makes it easy access.

    p.s. Paris is more beautiful, one of my fave cities, love it there
    What's wrong with WholePaycheck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    True. Mr AE’s sister lived in a massive three bedroom apartment, if I remember correctly it was around 141st east of Broadway.
    Yes, I have seen 4 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms apartments where you could fit 2 queens size beds in each bedroom. I have just NOT seen that anywhere else in the city.

    A couple years ago, I visited a corner apartment around 146th Street and I thought the apartment was too big (how often do you say that in New York ??!!). It was on second floor and was also worried about 24/7 Dembow/Merengue/Bachata during the summer since a friend of mine lived on the same block, 6th floor, and, for the longest, I was convinced she secretly runned a Colmadon due to the noise when I called her , but that apartment was insane.

  8. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
  9. #46
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
    Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.
    And exactly because of the bones and structure of the entire surroundings makes it intuitive for the business and investors (certainly not the Mexicans or Central Americans, and this is not to be misconstrued as racism; its pointing facts rather) to be attracted to the gentrification of the area.

  10. Likes Africaida liked this post
  11. #47
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    I don't understand the insistence of some island Dominicans on wanting to tell U.S. Dominicans how they're lives are here or their nuances, I don't do that to Dominicans back home because I've never lived there, no matter how many times I visit and stay for vacation, it will never be the same as me actually living there day-to-day and experiencing its nuances. I can't tell the difference btwn Central American/Mexican native looking Latinos, I don't mean that as an insult, I actually need to hear them speaking and try to make out their accents to tell them apart. If the way I refer to them is similar or the same as Dominicans were referred to, then (unfortunately) so be it, I'm not sugarcoating the reality; yes, Dominicans have greatly contributed to NYC both positively and negatively and regarding the negative it would be naive to say that Dominicans improved the neighborhood, go see the Jewish area of the Heights and go see Dyckman, BIG difference. Non-Dominican Latinos are also from poor economic backgrounds and come there to make a living and go through the same struggles most Dominicans there go through, you simply do not see that with the high earning white folks that move into these neighborhoods, not sure why anyone would have an issue with this distinction.
    I would tell you but, mysteriously my reply will be vanished on thin air. You, however, are right on target.

  12. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
  13. #48
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.474975

    This is not even close. Caonabo is correct.
    Many more Dominicans live in the Bronx than Manhattan even as per 8 years ago.

  14. Likes Caonabo liked this post
  15. #49
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incredible View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.474975

    This is not even close. Caonabo is correct.
    Many more Dominicans live in the Bronx than Manhattan even as per 8 years ago.
    It doesn't matter if more supposedly live in the Bronx, and one could argue that an increase in the last 8 years is a fairly recent development and is most comprised of recent arrivals, if it's true. Washington Heights is still considered the Dominican hub of NYC and it is still majority Dominican, that isn't false nor is it based off of an article or an opinion.

  16. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
  17. #50
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incredible View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.474975

    This is not even close. Caonabo is correct.
    Many more Dominicans live in the Bronx than Manhattan even as per 8 years ago.
    You are correct. Some want to cherry pick the factoids of reality. Of course, this is not helpful, but alas unfortunately how we function as a global society in this day and age. The article you provided was written eight years ago. Eight. And the numbers since have done nothing but steadily increase, and not by small increments either, in regards to the changing demographics that this particular sector is currently witnessing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •