New Dog Virus!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I posted this in another thread but thought that it should get a little more exposure to all our dog owners.
---------------------

Our puppy Noche is staying and being treated at our Vet, Dr. Bobs.

We HAVE been in touch with Conchman to advise since he should monitor his other dogs. We also sent our lab results to him for his Vet. to look at also.

We also talked with Judy that heads our http://www.aaasosua.com/sosua_dogs_judys.html

Dr. Bob and Judy said that a new virus that has not been fully identified is infecting dogs. Being an unknown virus, treatment is difficult and being a virus usually has to run it's course. This hits quick and the death rate is very high.

Tests where done for several other possible problems. Poison/Cane Toad and Tick born diseases. Test are negative for all.

VERY quick onset of Symptoms. These are what WE noted:
1. Lethargy.
2. Loss of appetite.
3. Change in mental/social disposition.
4. Can not keep food or water down. Throws up.
5. Whites of eyes red.
6. Rapid breathing noted at rest.

He was fine in the AM but noted these in the afternoon and had Dr. Bob working on it that afternoon.

Lab/vet results.
Temp. 104. Slightly elevated.
Liver function down.
More then normal "slobber". (how can you tell with a Mastiff breed?)

Air born virus. (We have NO other dogs near us.) Incubation time unknown. Once symptoms are noticed, very short time to treat that is mostly keeping hydrated and perhaps intravenous fluids/feeding.

Our 3 other dogs show none of these same symptoms.

Sorry to write this but felt it should be posted to get this nasty virus info out.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
All the information that we have is in my original post.

Spent some time with Noche at Dr. Bobs. Noche is stable but still needs to be hydrated and feed via injection methods.

Talking with Dr. Bob, he may need several days under his care until the virus runs it's course and that is still an unknown.

Dr. Bob indicated that since we had brought Noche in early, that he had a good prognoses but only time will tell.

No way coming home on Monday but we can visit most hours.

So this is going to take some time.

Hoping that this information helps others. Thank You.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
thanks for the info... we will keep our two at home, no beach days... we will be at the vets in STI this week and will inquire about this virus.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
It's an air born virus as best that we have been told. We have NO other dogs anywhere near us and Conchman says non near him either. We are several miles apart.

For all we know... it's drifting in on the winds from Africa. No beach days for your dogs may be too stressful for all of you. lol

Any pertinent information is very much welcomed. Thank You.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Noche' passed last night.

We are sad that Noche' passed last night. We got the call this morning from Dr. Bob before we left to go visit. Others concerned have also been told and up to date on this.

We don't know the real cause Noche's death is. We looked at and reacted ASAP for several possible problems.

Dr. Bob was great. Judy was wonderful. Others supportive and all appreciated.

Read the above post about symptoms please. This happened in less then 3 days.

MOD... Please keep this on topic. Thank you

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I too am sorry for you

As I wrote earlier - this is the second case (similar) .... no food retention... in Cane Corso type
That I have heard of
It too died without being diagnosed as to why.

Recently my Shepherd was put down-- sudden blindness -- a Shepherd problem
Any breed has some peculiarities ....
We just hope it doesn't happen to ours

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So sorry for your loss......

I posted a story a year or 2 back on Simba(the 2nd) , with same symptoms.
We do not have access to any real vets......
Praise the powers to be Simba was saved ( force fed by baby bottles for a week+ ).
We guess, and its really a guess, that it was leptosterosis (??). Mainly because 2 neighbours ( well not directly, but near by ) died of leptosterosis in that time period. Real people, not dogs.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry for your loss, poor doggie. i was about to ask if they tested him for leptospirosis, quite common here. symptoms match too.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
First, and foremost, condolences on your loss.
I do not claim to have veterinary experience, so I am just posting this for informational purposes if it possibly could relate to the issue at hand. The US of A city of New York is currently having a health crisis in regards to raccoons contracting canine distemper virus. Hundreds of raccoons have been found dead in public green spaces. An alert has been issued for residents to have their dogs vaccinated for canine distemper virus. Again, I do not know if it applies, but I am just offering up a suggestion. I heard this story from an associate, and prior to posting, I searched for a link to a newspaper report of the issue. The link is provided if interested. Again, condolences on your loss.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/29/deaths-of-zombie-raccoons-continue-in-central-park/

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Tick/flea meds.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

We will never know what cut Noches life short. A well cared for and healthy puppy. Less then two weeks with us and he was the Prince. It happened so fast and everything was being done that could be done. It left everyone in shock.

So keeping this going some.

While we were looking at possible causes, ticks and tick born diseases was discussed. We have one older dog that is a tick magnet while the other two are not. Dr. Bob has a product that really worked well. (NOT given to the puppy due to not wanting to mix meds.) Easy to feed to the other 3 and we have not seen any side effects. Tick magnet dropped dead ticks within a couple of hours. (We check her twice a day.)

https://nexgardfordogs.com/

Worth a look IMHO.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Have used nexguard for 2 years now. Apparently it remains effective for 30 days however, on my 3 dogs it is effective for 6+ months. I wait till I see a tick before i treat them as I am sure this is a potent drug to be giving them. They eat nexguard, the other stuff was placed on their skin and all of them stopped working.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
we use seresto as per the vet in STI. we had been using ivermectina monthly and both dogs showed up with tick disease.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Nexguard works on ticks (maybe fleas but we don't have any so I can't tell). However,- the dogs need ivermectin every month to prevent heart worm.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I use fipecto...... most efficient product ever.
We used to have a tick problem and had to groom the dogs daily. Since I started using fipecto, 2+ years ago, i havent seen a tick. Nor a flea ( although dogs never had any ). It also works against 2 other parasites, but i cant recall the names, and the label has faded.

Faded label ? Thats the best part !!!!!
10$ ( or 20, it comes in 2 sizes ), will see you through a whole year....... for 5 dogs .....lol.

And believe me, i tried all sorts of products. Stuff from abroad, frontline, pet armour, etc....... collar, drops, injections ....u name it-i tried it.
And nothing really worked. ( its campo here. Cows in field on one side, horses in field on the other......... and lots of tick and flea infested roaming dogs ).

P.S. dont blame me if your dog croaks after you used fipecto on him......i cant imagine it passed FDA tests ;) ;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Fipecto is Fipronil which is one of the ingredients in Frontline so should not lead to croaking dogs - unless they eat it.

Matilda