PN shake down In Santiago

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Friday a Friend and I returned from Bonao to Santiago/ Pop via the toll highway. I Got off the Tamboril exot on the highway. My friend stayed on, heading to Puerto Plata. After going through the toll, he was told to pull over by PN. They already had another "gringo" pulled over as well.

Not sure of the exact details. But my understanding is they said he did something illegal. Also, ask him to produce a fire extingusher. Which he could not. They said in liue of 2 tickets they would except 5k pesos. He said take him to station, they declined. However, after 30. He offered 2k. They settled on 3k.

My friend has lived here off and on for close to 15 years. He knows how carry himself here. He said the officers were young. Didnt even have Guns yet. But it was definately a gringo shake.

This thread is not intended to start a debate of how to handle the situation. Just an informative thread for those who travel the highway.

I went and bought my fire extinguisher today. Im guessing I need a whole road side hazard kit?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Friday a Friend and I returned from Bonao to Santiago/ Pop via the toll highway. I Got off the Tamboril exot on the highway. My friend stayed on, heading to Puerto Plata. After going through the toll, he was told to pull over by PN. They already had another "gringo" pulled over as well.

Not sure of the exact details. But my understanding is they said he did something illegal. Also, ask him to produce a fire extingusher. Which he could not. They said in liue of 2 tickets they would except 5k pesos. He said take him to station, they declined. However, after 30. He offered 2k. They settled on 3k.

My friend has lived here off and on for close to 15 years. He knows how carry himself here. He said the officers were young. Didnt even have Guns yet. But it was definately a gringo shake.

This thread is not intended to start a debate of how to handle the situation. Just an informative thread for those who travel the highway.

I went and bought my fire extinguisher today. Im guessing I need a whole road side hazard kit?

that is a shakedown. this does not even merit debate. 100% gangsterism, which has no defense. i wonder what percentage of motorists have even seen a fire extinguisher.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Might be a good idea just in case. You need an extinguisher, red triangle, first aid kit, and a reflective vest.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
By law you are required to have a fire-extinguisher and a first aid kit in your vehicle, if you don't you are in violation of the law, quite simple in my opinion.
When you're at it, buy yourself a dash cam and when you are stopped, aim the cam at the officer and tell him he is being recorded....works like a charm for those "scams"...but only when everything is in order!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
While it is true that those items are needed PN has no jurisdiction in traffic issues. They could only pull you over (legally that is) if they are pursuing you for a crime i.e. drugs and then they an search the vehicle. I had that happen once. Watch very carefully as you don't want any drugs (not your own) to suddenly appear in the vehicle.
PN are the biggest ladrones in the country, next to the politicians of course.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Might be a good idea just in case. You need an extinguisher, red triangle, first aid kit, and a reflective vest.

And at least one emergency flare. They have use before dates so you can substitute them for fireworks on New Year's Eve and other National holidays.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I wonder if these Nice YOUNG Officers cut their teeth with the old "100 peso Regalo , para una REFRESCA" ( my spanish is krap , no no grammar comment pls)

They have FINE Long, Lucrative Career ahead of them .. for sure .

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you provide the PN an opening, they will walk right in.

If you know you are required to have an emergency kit in your car, and do not have one the day someone asks to see it...

If you know your marbete needs to be renewed by such and such a date, waited to the last minute like everyone else, saw a long line on the day you intended to renew and chose to wait another week...

If you let them into your car for a friendly sit down and a chat...

Being a foreigner driving a car is sometimes all the impetus that is needed...

We can wail against police corruption all we want. We can point out that the PN are not supposed to be enforcing motoring infractions, but in the end we have to accept the reality here and do all that we can to be able to produce whatever is required when challenged to do so. That includes a DR drivers license for those who can get one; Visitors driving while legally allowed to do so and not driving when it is no longer allowed. When you gamble with the rules, you will lose, someday.

BTW, demanding to go to the police station may not be the best approach anymore. Challenging the cops by being arrogantly insistent and a quick call to Immigration will open up a whole new can of worms, if worms are on the menu that day - thanks new computer database.

The reality - Those with all their ducks in order can push back even if only so far. Those missing a duck or two, need to decide for themselves if being a moving target suits them and just how much righteous indignation the situation can bear before it risks getting a whole lot worse.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

If you know you are required to have an emergency kit in your car, and do not have one the day someone asks to see it...

If you know your marbete needs to be renewed by such and such a date, waited to the last minute like everyone else, saw a long line on the day you intended to renew and chose to wait another week...

We can wail against police corruption all we want. We can point out that the PN are not supposed to be enforcing motoring infractions, but in the end we have to accept the reality here and do all that we can to be able to produce whatever is required when challenged to do so. That includes a DR drivers license for those who can get one; Visitors driving while legally allowed to do so and not driving when it is no longer allowed. When you gamble with the rules, you will lose, someday.

BTW, demanding to go to the police station may not be the best approach anymore. Challenging the cops by being arrogantly insistent and a quick call to Immigration will open up a whole new can of worms, if worms are on the menu that day - thanks new computer database.

The reality - Those with all their ducks in order can push back even if only so far. Those missing a duck or two, need to decide for themselves if being a moving target suits them and just how much righteous indignation the situation can bear before it risks getting a whole lot worse.

You hit the nail on the head! :)

kanson

Apr 8, 2006
Same exact scenario happened to me, may have the same location after paying the tol with the same young copsl. i didn't know about this new law, but 4 US dollars later, I was on my way to Costambar.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

DAh? It's the law. Been for some time.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

Reading your posts has me always ROFL.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
and i guess it is also the law that a police officer can decide the amount of the fine, and demand that it is paid at the scene...

how is that for a grip?

What happened to your, just pay, it's only "$2" U.S. insistence from the Sosua thread?