Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-load washer doesn't wash - hard water issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Top-load washer doesn't wash - hard water issue?

We've been having a hard time getting our GE top-load washer to wash. The model is sold in La Sirena.
    Basically, we need to remove the stains before doing the load, if not for sure they don't come out.
    Also, it seems that the clothes get wrinkled and not washed correctly, or maybe the detergent just won't penetrate the clothes.

From this it seems that we need liquid detergent, lots of it, borax.
    So far we have tried lots of boiling water, normal detergent + oxy clean.

Are you all having any issue at all?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Is a "normal" washer ? ie stuff your clothes in it and they come out clean,
    Or a dr style washer ? ie seperate tub for spinning and you have to manually rinse the clothes.

I always have issues with the first.
    So I use the 2nd..... just make sure it comes with a chica to operate it

3. Likes GringoRubio liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard water does reduce the effectiveness of detergents. Most compensate by using more soap. You can add a 1/2 - 3/4 cup of table salt to the laundry water and see if that helps. After the washing is done, rinse the machine while empty one final time. Salt residue on metal is not a good thing.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the 3rd World versioin with separate washer and spinner, or a real-live load and forget model?

If the prior, that's normal. Women (sorry to the suffragettes, but that is reality) scrub and prewash everything. I'm not sure the washer does much good at all except for the spinner.

Can I suggest farming out the work? Many people would be happy for the work.

6. Likes kg4jxt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something like this, a touch less fancy maybe: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4L._SX425_.jpg

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think salt would affect water hardness, but I know washing soda (sodium carbonate - also used for raising swimming pool pH) can help. Boiling will only make hardness worse; some water will evaporate but the calcium stays in the water. Hardness arises when the calcium (or other ions with +2 charge) attach to two soap molecules. Each soap molecule has an "oily" end and a soluble end. But if the two soluble ends stick to a +2 ion, then there is a lump in the middle and oily on each end: bar soap will feel like wax in this water. Adding carbonate causes the +2 ions to become insoluble calcium carbonate. It is still in the water but it is no longer ionic: calcium carbonate is very insoluble at high pH. Just don't add any vinegar, or you get the hardness back! There are non-ionic detergents, but they are still of the soluble end - oily end variety. They work better in hard water but not as well as in soft rainwater.

9. Likes cobraboy, beeza liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mañuel View Post
    Something like this, a touch less fancy maybe: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4L._SX425_.jpg
    That looks just like ours. Check the voltage of the outlet where it’s plugged in. We had problems because the voltage was too low, if I’m not mistaken it needed 120v. Our electrician adjusted our whole house voltage regulator and voila! Clean clothes.

Your may be a different problem, but worth checking out

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Instructions for the top loading automatic machines will tell you to put in the clothes, then the soap and close the lid and walk away. However,- using Fab and cold water here in the DR I find putting in the water and the soap and letting it fill and agitate for a minute or so BEFORE i put in the clothes does a very good job cleaning most clothes. So,- the soap desolves before the clothes are introduced and thus cleans better. Of course some stains will need a little help, i try to save these till I get enough for a little load to which I add clorox.
    Our water has a lot of calcium in it (I test for it in our pool) but I just use fab and cold water.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dislike GE and Frigidaire appliances. They are bottom dwellers in the appliance world. I made the mistake of getting a Frigidaire diswasher which is totally useless. Worst purchase ever. I have a 25 year old Whirpool top loader that washes far better than a 5 year GE unit I have which has a washer below and dryer above (I got that for the dryer and it was a good deal from someone leaving the DR) .

First issue is using a GE washer. They just suck.

The above said. It could be low voltage.

I see no reason that adding salt to the water would help.

Detergent is what is normally used (more effective than soap) at removing stains. Liquid detergent might be better than powdered detergent.

Hard water could indeed be a factor, but that would require a water softener to remedy.

Are you using cold water in the wash cycle?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I really dislike GE and Frigidaire appliances. They are bottom dwellers in the appliance world. I made the mistake of getting a Frigidaire diswasher which is totally useless. Worst purchase ever. I have a 25 year old Whirpool top loader that washes far better than a 5 year GE unit I have which has a washer below and dryer above (I got that for the dryer and it was a good deal from someone leaving the DR) .

First issue is using a GE washer. They just suck.

The above said. It could be low voltage.

I see no reason that adding salt to the water would help.

Detergent is what is normally used (more effective than soap) at removing stains. Liquid detergent might be better than powdered detergent.

Hard water could indeed be a factor, but that would require a water softener to remedy.

Are you using cold water in the wash cycle?
    Some use salt to soften water, but I don't know if that works. I sort of doubt it.

FL water can be extremely hard because it is filtered through limestone and calcium underground. Water softeners are common and use brine to remove calcium from resin deposits. It's the reson that removes the calcium. Chemistry, and all that science.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast