Top-load washer doesn't wash - hard water issue?

Mañuel1

Mar 11, 2018
We've been having a hard time getting our GE top-load washer to wash. The model is sold in La Sirena.
Basically, we need to remove the stains before doing the load, if not for sure they don't come out.
Also, it seems that the clothes get wrinkled and not washed correctly, or maybe the detergent just won't penetrate the clothes.

From this it seems that we need liquid detergent, lots of it, borax.
So far we have tried lots of boiling water, normal detergent + oxy clean.

Are you all having any issue at all?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Is a "normal" washer ? ie stuff your clothes in it and they come out clean,
Or a dr style washer ? ie seperate tub for spinning and you have to manually rinse the clothes.

I always have issues with the first.
So I use the 2nd..... just make sure it comes with a chica to operate it ;)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hard water does reduce the effectiveness of detergents. Most compensate by using more soap. You can add a 1/2 - 3/4 cup of table salt to the laundry water and see if that helps. After the washing is done, rinse the machine while empty one final time. Salt residue on metal is not a good thing.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Are you talking about the 3rd World versioin with separate washer and spinner, or a real-live load and forget model?

If the prior, that's normal. Women (sorry to the suffragettes, but that is reality) scrub and prewash everything. I'm not sure the washer does much good at all except for the spinner.

Can I suggest farming out the work? Many people would be happy for the work.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
I don't think salt would affect water hardness, but I know washing soda (sodium carbonate - also used for raising swimming pool pH) can help. Boiling will only make hardness worse; some water will evaporate but the calcium stays in the water. Hardness arises when the calcium (or other ions with +2 charge) attach to two soap molecules. Each soap molecule has an "oily" end and a soluble end. But if the two soluble ends stick to a +2 ion, then there is a lump in the middle and oily on each end: bar soap will feel like wax in this water. Adding carbonate causes the +2 ions to become insoluble calcium carbonate. It is still in the water but it is no longer ionic: calcium carbonate is very insoluble at high pH. Just don't add any vinegar, or you get the hardness back! There are non-ionic detergents, but they are still of the soluble end - oily end variety. They work better in hard water but not as well as in soft rainwater.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Instructions for the top loading automatic machines will tell you to put in the clothes, then the soap and close the lid and walk away. However,- using Fab and cold water here in the DR I find putting in the water and the soap and letting it fill and agitate for a minute or so BEFORE i put in the clothes does a very good job cleaning most clothes. So,- the soap desolves before the clothes are introduced and thus cleans better. Of course some stains will need a little help, i try to save these till I get enough for a little load to which I add clorox.
Our water has a lot of calcium in it (I test for it in our pool) but I just use fab and cold water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I really dislike GE and Frigidaire appliances. They are bottom dwellers in the appliance world. I made the mistake of getting a Frigidaire diswasher which is totally useless. Worst purchase ever. I have a 25 year old Whirpool top loader that washes far better than a 5 year GE unit I have which has a washer below and dryer above (I got that for the dryer and it was a good deal from someone leaving the DR) .

First issue is using a GE washer. They just suck.

The above said. It could be low voltage.

I see no reason that adding salt to the water would help.

Detergent is what is normally used (more effective than soap) at removing stains. Liquid detergent might be better than powdered detergent.

Hard water could indeed be a factor, but that would require a water softener to remedy.

Are you using cold water in the wash cycle?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I really dislike GE and Frigidaire appliances. They are bottom dwellers in the appliance world. I made the mistake of getting a Frigidaire diswasher which is totally useless. Worst purchase ever. I have a 25 year old Whirpool top loader that washes far better than a 5 year GE unit I have which has a washer below and dryer above (I got that for the dryer and it was a good deal from someone leaving the DR) .

First issue is using a GE washer. They just suck.

The above said. It could be low voltage.

I see no reason that adding salt to the water would help.

Detergent is what is normally used (more effective than soap) at removing stains. Liquid detergent might be better than powdered detergent.

Hard water could indeed be a factor, but that would require a water softener to remedy.

Are you using cold water in the wash cycle?
Some use salt to soften water, but I don't know if that works. I sort of doubt it.

FL water can be extremely hard because it is filtered through limestone and calcium underground. Water softeners are common and use brine to remove calcium from resin deposits. It's the reson that removes the calcium. Chemistry, and all that science.

Mañuel1

Mar 11, 2018
Thanks all for your kind responses. We fill it with hot boiling water (a couple of pots) then the rest with "cold" DR water :D !
I made a mistake it's a Whirlpool not GE.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Also check the SCREENS where the water Hoses come into the wash machine..Those can get clogged with particles and then you wont be getting enough Water coming into the tub ... it would mess up all your settings .

I did a forensics on a wash machine i threw out ( i could have actually Sold it after i saw the simple problems) , it was only like 3 years old , but stopped working,
and I found out some interesting stuff.
If you know someone who is mechanically inclined and can take the machine apart enough so you can SEE what is under the Inside wash tub ( the one with the holes) , Whatever MINERALS you have an issue with will be COATING the plastic basin which then has a hose going out of it to drain the water ... that should tell you the whole story as to if your Water is BAD as the deposits will most definitely be there. I had a lot of RUSTY deposits on mine as an example , so i simple upgraded my whole house water filter system, which changed everything.
Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
For me it is never cleen enough but it is because of the cold water. I use a lot of spray and wash but not cheap so i am the dirty boy now lol.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Installed a water softener in my house no more problems...from clothes to faucets to toilets ever since...DR water is hard! (Well)

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
A water softener is basically a salt shaker that is adding salt to your water supply.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks all for your kind responses. We fill it with hot boiling water (a couple of pots) then the rest with "cold" DR water :D !
I made a mistake it's a Whirlpool not GE.

At least you have a good machine. Hopefully you will find a good solution.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Well Manuel, you raised one of my big rants here, the terrible top-loader washing machine... !

In UK you will never find one of these, the whole idea is wrong if you ask me, putting clothes from the top with the bar in the middle to turn the whole thing is just ridiculous, I found it to be totally in efficient in cleaning clothes, but worse, it damages everything you put in it... ! Because that thing in the middle has to engage with garment and then drag it around with force, it has some nasty levers on the sides of that bar to catch clothes, makes it even worse.

The front loader washers (like tumble driers) simply have a cylinder that turns horizontally and everything inside it will turn without any pressure to damage clothing... Who came up with the top-loader idea should be ashamed - and it's still selling in thousands (maybe millions) !? I would never buy these if it was up to me, buy the front loaders and save your clothes.

Now as for not cleaning clothes, you need Vanish (or similar) stain remover to spray on every stain and leave it for 10 minutes, a bit of a waste of time and effort if you ask me when your washer is suppose to clean your clothes (not you !).

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....try real TIDE , you know the expensive stuff...big box at pricemart about $40 dollars, worked for me....I had about the same problem, girl fren always said soap is all the same....not true,tide in the long run is cheaper.............Doc...........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A water softener is basically a salt shaker that is adding salt to your water supply.
Incorrect.

Yes, you add salt. But the salt makes a brine which removes calcium from a resin bed.

It's the resin that removes the calcium from water, not salt. The salt removes the calcium from the resin and never goes beyond the softener.

I have installed dozens of water softeners on my FL properties. One big reason is not for washing clothes. It was to prevent calcium & lime buildup in pipes, faucets, showerheads and water heaters saving thousands long-term. "Softness" for washing clothes was a side benefit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well Manuel, you raised one of my big rants here, the terrible top-loader washing machine... !

yep. i see a difference since we bought front loading machine. much better results. i use tide HE washing powder.

when one wash does not remove stains i'd normally pour a bit of liquid jabon de cuaba on the stain and toss the item back into laundry bin until the next wash. works better than vanish.