Fairly serious thread on public opinion: Haitians & Spain

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On the 24th of last month, my favorite columnist "Coctelera" from the HOY newspaper, started his column with this observation.
Quote: "Greetings my dear Magino. I have just finished reading a declaration made by the Secretary of Labor, Doctor Milton Ray Guevara, that really caught my attention. Ray Guevara says that the country (RD) hopes that Spain will assimilate 15,000 Dominican workers by virtue of an agreement signed by the two countries. This is good, no doubt. But what is noteworthy is that among these workers are farm and construction workers....
Aren't these the sectors, by some chance, that are most affected by the lack of native laborors, according to sector leaders, to the point that they have to contract Haitian workers to replace them, with no nevermind that these Haitians enter Dominican territory illegally? You are allowed to suppose then, that if, of the scarce Dominican workers that work in the farms and in the construction, one part emigrates, the jobs left vacant will have to be filled by more Haitians. Furthermore, it is shocking that Spain has never, ever, looked for Haitian manpower to work in domestic service, in the fields or in construction...Not for nothing...."

In the first section of HOY on May the 7th the following headlines
First Grouip of workers travels to Spain
"The first group of 43 Dominican womenthat will work as domestics in Spain, left today on flight 088 of Air Europa...

Gonna be interesting....

HB

needs_a_shave.gif

to Spain

DR workers will end up being trained by the gypsy's in Spain in the art of pic pocketing and return home to be another black eye for the DR. They were a bitch to deal with in Malaga Spain and had to be very careful when walking the streets. They cleaned a few elderly ladies purses in the blink of an eye.
Only a thought.

Curious George

May 2, 2002
I know enough!

I know enough to know that the Haiti and Dominican
Republic problem with some people is like
trying to discuss Cuban politics with the Cubans in Miami a very dangerous and inflammatory thing
which often ends in major fights, I know this because I have read some of the archives on this
subject, I can only pray that both the Haitians
and the Dominicans work there problems out in the
future.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Those gypsies aren't just in Spain, they are present all over Europe, and the ones in Italy are the worst!!

The Dominicans coming to Spain will meet with the thousands upon thousands of other Latin American and Caribbean immigrants here. I am shocked that the Spanish government is doing this at all, considering they are complaining every day in the newspapers about the influx of immigrants here and also the Africans which come by way of the Canaries.

My humble opinion (in terms of the Latin American immigrants) - you colonized the country, you can help them out now that you're gone.