Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American Thrown Off The Guagua

American Thrown off The Guagua

My neighbor from Tampa, a "newbie" here in the DR, was recently returning from Jaibon(about 35 miles NW of Santiago) to Santiago. Shortly after he got on the guagua, the driver got into a very irritated discourse with the other passengers telling them they had an American on the guagua. He doesn't speak much Spanish at all, but he could tell that, what ever the driver was saying, he was not happy with him being there.

Shortly afterwards, he demanded to see my friend's "papers". He showed the driver a copy of his passport. The driver was not satisfied at all and demanded that he get off the bus - they were in the middle of "nowhere" at that point. He insisted that the driver continue to the next town - which he reluctlantly agreed to do. All the other passengers were saying - no, no, don't do that.

When he got to the town he asked for his money back(200 pesos). The driver would go to give it to him, and then would repeatedly taunt him by quickly pulling the money away as soon as he reached for it.

I'm not familiar with this part of the DR. Anyone know why there would be such antagonism towards an American in this area?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's odd. The need to make money in this country usually placates most antagonisms at least for a short time.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Wow, that's odd. The need to make money in this country usually placates most antagonisms at least for a short time.
    Agreed; the OP either isn't hearing or isn't relaying the entire story.

4. Likes sylindr liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime809 View Post
    absolutely not. i would like to know where he was coming from that cost 200 pesos to Santiago on a guagua.

6. Likes BermudaRum, CristoRey, sylindr liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

black american? if so, he could have been taken for a haitian. jaibon is close to villa elisa, i believe. i've been in that area before. military checks are more frequent there. maybe the driver thought he was going to get into trouble for having an illegal haitian ride with him.

8. Likes caribmike, Fulano2 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime809 View Post
    I'm telling you the story exactly as my friend related it to me.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    black american? if so, he could have been taken for a haitian. jaibon is close to villa elisa, i believe. i've been in that area before. military checks are more frequent there. maybe the driver thought he was going to get into trouble for having an illegal haitian ride with him.
    I doubt that was it. Showing the passport would have calmed that situation down because American = money, regardless of skin color.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    absolutely not. i would like to know where he was coming from that cost 200 pesos to Santiago on a guagua.
    It was right in my post - from Jaibon to Santiago. 35 miles. Over an hour in a guagua.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I'm telling you the story exactly as my friend related it to me.
    Your friend is leaving out details. This clearly isn't passing the sniff test with anyone reading this thread.

13. Likes Bred, cbmitch9 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    It was right in my post - from Jaibon to Santiago. 35 miles. Over an hour in a guagua.
    200 pesos?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast