Best fridge manufacturer?

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Cetron? Samsung? LG? Tecnomaster? General Electric? LEED 25 rating? LEED 15?

All things being equal, if the only choice you could make is the manufacturer,
which fridge would you choose?

Let's vote. (How do I make a poll.....?)

Cetron
Samsung
Technomaster
General Electric
LG
Westinghouse
Whirlpool
Maytag
(Insert missing name here)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My Cetron was cheap, frost free, quiet and makes ice quick and my only gripe is it is a little small.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Whirlpool & Maytag are trademarks of the same company since 2006.

I assume the fridge is for use here in the DR and will be purchased here? If so, chances are the appliance is manufactured in Mexico for the Caribbean market. Parts used can and probably will be inferior to some degree to those used in appliances for the NA market place to keep costs down.

It's hard to pick a brand name as some manufactures do better with some models than others. When you decide what type of fridge you want, let us know. Full size or compact, side by side, single door, bottom freezer, electronic/LED controls, crushed ice, water dispenser, etc?

Otherwise it's like asking who makes the best car and the answer to that question will be the same, "it depends".

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have an LG bottom freezer and am not at all happy with the door seals, water dispenser flow rate and ice build up in the back of the freezer. I've had to repair it twice in the last three years. Refrigeration leak, and drip pan overflowing. Some parts for an LG may enjoy better availability in the larger cities but here in Sosua, I now have a Frankenfridge - condenser coil is now a generic part modified to fit and that kind of mucked up the arrangement of some condensate tubes underneath.

Plastic water supply lines for ice maker and water dispenser have become extremely brittle over time and split frequently. I can no longer leave the water supply turned on when I go to bed. The compression connection for the water line is completely asinine. I've replaced the door seals once at great expense and now resign myself to wiping the accumulated condensation off the top of the inside once a day to keep it from dripping on stuff below.

This model, I would not recommend if asked.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have an LG bottom freezer and am not at all happy with the door seals, water dispenser flow rate and ice build up in the back of the freezer. I've had to repair it twice in the last three years. Refrigeration leak, and drip pan overflowing. Some parts for an LG may enjoy better availability in the larger cities but here in Sosua, I now have a Frankenfridge - condenser coil is now a generic part modified to fit and that kind of mucked up the arrangement of some condensate tubes underneath.

Plastic water supply lines for ice maker and water dispenser have become extremely brittle over time and split frequently. I can no longer leave the water supply turned on when I go to bed. The compression connection for the water line is completely asinine. I've replaced the door seals once at great expense and now resign myself to wiping the accumulated condensation off the top of the inside once a day to keep it from dripping on stuff below.

This model, I would not recommend if asked.

We also have a Frankenfridge! It's been repaired so many times. It was originally a Frigidaire, but now works without any electronics and has a generic condenser rack pinned to the back of it instead of the box shaped one that is supposed to sit underneath it. It's getting a little noisy and I reckon that as long as it lasts until Black Friday, it will be replaced then. Amazing how even stainless steel rusts here.

A question on your water supply for the ice maker; What is it? I originally used a ceramic filter from the tap and plumbed it into the back of the fridge with 1/4" plastic tubing. Although we never got ill, I decided to change the supply to bottled water and purchased a pump that sucks water directly out of a 5 gal bottellon.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I use a reverse osmosis filter with UV light. Takes water from the chlorinated cistern and supplies water to the kitchen sink via one of those press to operate side faucets (for dog water) and a splitter with a line going to the fridge.

We haven't been ill either, at least nothing we can attribute positively to being ice cube related. We don't drink that water in favor of using bottled water and a cooler but I do use a lot of ice most days.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a basic Frigidaire two door with freezer on top. now 10 yrs. old and nary a problem (knock on wood)

I learned a long time ago to stay away from electronic controls no matter where you live.

It has an ice maker I installed myself with a flow Master pump pulling from a 5 gal. jug that has been problem free as well.

K.I.S.S.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We had/have a GE monster of a fridge/freezer, side by side type, if you see what i mean. A US import ( i think ). 10 or 12 years old.
From time to time ( like once a year ) it would blow a small part ( apparently there to protect the fridge ) and it would cost me 200 pesos for some1 to come round and change it. A guy I knew who worked for industrial fridge thingy company.
Anyway I once got the the wrong guy round ( they all have the same names, and are all related somehow ????????????), when my wife was away in europe.
Well from that day onwards it never worked properly.
During a year I had the " unfreeze thingy" on a manual timer, and the temperature control on a manual knob.
Then the "resistance" that heats to unfreeze the fridge blew. So I would just switch off the bugger for a couple of hours every day to unfreeze??????????????????.

Thankfully we also have a frigidaire brand freezer that works very well to store and freeze food.
There again 10-12 years seems a nice life span for a fridge, i guess.

For the sake of sanity, I gave in and bought a whirpool fridge, in the dr. Its a top freezer combo thingy. And has all the bells and whistles. ( fast freeze compartment, shelves and tubs for ice cubes, can holders, egg holders, vegetable shelves with humidity dispenser, digital panel with alarms and stuff, etc......).
So far so good..... and it uses much less electricity.
Its capacity is a tad smaller for the fridge part, and the freezer part is much smaller...... but at least it works correctly !!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have amana fridge with bottom freezer. it has water dispenser and ice maker. we've had it for nearly 10 years now. broke once, easy fix. no complains about it, good stuff. showing wear and tear now, for a new house we'll probably get a full size fridge and full size freezer and put it side by side.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have a Kenmore Elite in Canada that is 11 years old and works perfect. My DR fridge is a basic Samsung that has been held together with duct tape, haywire and crazy clue for years but still runs amazingly well.
If it packs it in I will probably go with another Samsung or something with a built in inverter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I imported a Whirlpool bottom freezer with a vegetable shelf and upper refrigerator twin door section with a water and ice dispenser. a few years ago. It is 24.5 cubic feet and uses less power than the 19 cubic foot model in replaces. It looks like this:

5790000_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I saved several hundred dollars over buying it locally if they actually had the model they advertised in stock here.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I imported a Whirlpool bottom freezer with a vegetable shelf and upper refrigerator twin door section with a water and ice dispenser. a few years ago. It is 24.5 cubic feet and uses less power than the 19 cubic foot model in replaces. It looks like this:

5790000_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I saved several hundred dollars over buying it locally if they actually had the model they advertised in stock here.

That's pretty much what we will be looking for soon. I've just found out that the style with the two opening doors for the fridge at the top and freezer drawers at the bottom is called a "French Door" style. The prices of those over here start from around RD$80,000 and upwards. I'm holding out to see what will be on offer during Black Friday.

What did your fridge cost all-in delivered to you door here in DR? Where did you buy it and who did you ship it with?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmm, I wonder why Nedoca didn´t made it to the list? :squareeye

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Pricesmart has a nice samsung. Stainless, double doors, freezer below. Efficient $50,000 rd.

I'd look carefully at the efficiency ratings give the cost of electricity and also the more efficient probably has better insulation to handle hot weather and get you through outages.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Cetron? Samsung? LG? Tecnomaster? General Electric? LEED 25 rating? LEED 15?

All things being equal, if the only choice you could make is the manufacturer,
which fridge would you choose?

Let's vote. (How do I make a poll.....?)

Cetron
Samsung
Technomaster
General Electric
LG
Westinghouse
Whirlpool
Maytag
(Insert missing name here)

You forgot to include Nedoca, Neveras Dominicanas, made in Dominicana. I know nothing about the quality of those.

Oct 3, 2018
After using my LG GB-450UPL refrigerator in hot and cold conditions, I found it to be very efficient, which is reflected in my reduced electricity bills and barely noticeable noise levels. The temperature control is precise and constant in both fridge and freezer. Fruits and vegetables can be stored well in the large crisper. I like the divided shelf that allows extra space when necessary.

For two years we had no problems.

I am very satisfied with this brand!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
After using my LG GB-450UPL refrigerator in hot and cold conditions, I found it to be very efficient, which is reflected in my reduced electricity bills and barely noticeable noise levels. The temperature control is precise and constant in both fridge and freezer. Fruits and vegetables can be stored well in the large crisper. I like the divided shelf that allows extra space when necessary.

For two years we had no problems.

I am very satisfied with this brand!

Welcome to DR1 Tedy. That was a great first post! You could be a salesman for LG.. lol