Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot water heater

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot water heater

Is it possible to purchase a North American style water heater here? 50 gallon with an actual thermostat? The small boiler and on/off light switch ain't cutting it.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruzan1 View Post
    Is it possible to purchase a North American style water heater here? 50 gallon with an actual thermostat? The small boiler and on/off light switch ain't cutting it.
    I’ve never seen one. Is like to suggest that you look into an on-demand hot water heater. They sell both propane and electric. We have 3 propane’s, purchased at Ferriteria Americana. One in each bathroom and one that’s shared between the kitchen sink and the washing machine. They work great.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

seconded. we have electric on demand water heater, brand name rheem. works like a charm. one of the best investments we made.

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend last year bought a an electric water heater (like you describe) which he said is Made in great US of America, can't say if it is 50 gallon though, smaller I think. But it looks the part, unlike the cheap local blue colored ones they mostly sell here.

But I thought they all have a thermostat (otherwise how they avoid boiling the water etc.), there was one cheap one with damaged thermostat in the neighbor's house and it was leaking, so would not stop heating, that ran over 10k pesos in electric bills in a few weeks, before it was found out - check regularly.

We have propane gas on demand here, it is okay and very economical except you need good water pressure for it to work properly, if you are on high floors that could be an issue - maybe electric ones don't have this requirement.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post

But I thought they all have a thermostat (otherwise how they avoid boiling the water etc.)
    Yes, the electric ones you buy in any fereteria have a thermostat.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    My friend last year bought a an electric water heater (like you describe) which he said is Made in great US of America, can't say if it is 50 gallon though, smaller I think. But it looks the part, unlike the cheap local blue colored ones they mostly sell here.

But I thought they all have a thermostat (otherwise how they avoid boiling the water etc.), there was one cheap one with damaged thermostat in the neighbor's house and it was leaking, so would not stop heating, that ran over 10k pesos in electric bills in a few weeks, before it was found out - check regularly.

We have propane gas on demand here, it is okay and very economical except you need good water pressure for it to work properly, if you are on high floors that could be an issue - maybe electric ones don't have this requirement.
    True about the water pressure, but they do sell small pumps you can attach to the water line if that happens, or if, as in our case, you are sometimes using water from a tinaco when electricity is down. The pump works well on an inverter.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that you buy a temp.and press.relief valve (t + p valve)

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the T&P valve which absolutely must be installed, here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

It's also important to replace the anode rod every year. The hardness of the water here sitting in what is simply a heated storage tank will corrode the inside of the tank in no time.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10 gallon tank with a timer. I set the timer on 20 minutes every night when I go to bed, and have enough hot water to take a nice hot shower every morning and a warm shower in the evening.

Using a timer makes a big difference.

I have two 12K inverter split A/C's as well, an over/under washer/gas dryer and my electric bill runs about 1200 pesos a month.

10. Likes JasonD liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I have a 10 gallon tank with a timer. I set the timer on 20 minutes every night when I go to bed, and have enough hot water to take a nice hot shower every morning and a warm shower in the evening.

Using a timer makes a big difference.

I have two 12K inverter split A/C's as well, an over/under washer/gas dryer and my electric bill runs about 1200 pesos a month.
    I have been looking for a timer for our hot water heater. Do you have any details of the timer and where you bought it?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast