Dominican Aduanas Question for Car

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
I have a group of friends that have identified a 2015 Toyota van they would like to purchase and subsequently donate to a needy family here in the Santiago area. I've agreed to help them in this process and have learned that it is a "rebuilt" title. I know "Salvage" titles are not allowed to be imported - but several at SeaBoard believe that "rebuilt" titles are indeed allowed into the country. Is this true (because I don't want to get into problems with Aduanas) and if so where could I find some documentation or law (etc.) on this online within Aduanas? Thanks in advance for your advice.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a group of friends that have identified a 2015 Toyota van they would like to purchase and subsequently donate to a needy family here in the Santiago area. I've agreed to help them in this process and have learned that it is a "rebuilt" title. I know "Salvage" titles are not allowed to be imported - but several at SeaBoard believe that "rebuilt" titles are indeed allowed into the country. Is this true (because I don't want to get into problems with Aduanas) and if so where could I find some documentation or law (etc.) on this online within Aduanas? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Your friends are aware of the shipping costs and taxes and associated charges it will cost, right?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Already got my popcorn.

I'm guessing he's talking about a Sienna. Pretty sure the HiAce and the Lite aren't available up there.

A 2015 Sienna has got to be around 25 grand, wouldn't it?

BTW, Sorry for not addressing the "rebuilt" versus "salvage" but I'd be nervous about it.

I'd be looking at locally available first before I'd import.

Last edited:

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
Yes its a beautiful "rebuilt" red Sienna. The Sienna is being purchased "rebuilt" for $8,500 - a far cry from 25,000. And yes Im nervous about rebuilt - thus the reason I cam to dr1.com You guys are notorious for tracking down this type of information. Its not up to me to buy locally - far easier for me to do. It up to me to be grateful for them helping this family out.

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
I imported a 40 passenger air conditioned diesel bus 2 years ago for a poor church in the Santiago area and Aduanas was gracious enough not to charge import taxes. Large is in the eye of the beholder I guess

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
Your friends are aware of the shipping costs and taxes and associated charges it will cost, right?
Yes they are aware of 5 separate charges involving this purchase. 1.) American Taxes 2.) Transportation to Port 3.) Seaboard Charges 4.) Import related charges 5.) Import Taxes

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
So let’s start a local church. Good business.
I understand your feelings on this - although a church is not a business (my belief system) I'm quite sure there are many that function that way - but not ours. We can debate the ethics of a Dominican Non Profit another day - but my question still stands - where or what law allows the import of a "Rebuilt" title? Otherwise we are going in circles.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I understand your feelings on this - although a church is not a business (my belief system) I'm quite sure there are many that function that way - but not ours. We can debate the ethics of a Dominican Non Profit another day - but my question still stands - where or what law allows the import of a "Rebuilt" title? Otherwise we are going in circles.

whatever the law says, the reality is that rebuilt salvages are all over the used car dealer lots. that is a fact.

Tom4Coop

Oct 2, 2018
whatever the law says, the reality is that rebuilt salvages are all over the used car dealer lots. that is a fact.
Yes - I believe that too - Im just trying to find a particular section of the law - so I can have that in my pocket when dealing with Aduanas

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes - I believe that too - Im just trying to find a particular section of the law - so I can have that in my pocket when dealing with Aduanas

i have run carfax on cars i have looked at in the DR at reputable car lots, and they have come back as total losses.

Jan 9, 2004

First a little background information is in order.

In order to have a "Rebuilt" title the vehicle must have previously carried a "Salvage" title and been declared a total loss.

Once the vehicle is re-branded as "Rebuilt" and in order to be imported into the Dominican Republic, it must have been registered for at least one year prior to entry. This sounds like where you will encounter problems with Aduana. And unless they waive that restriction, you will likely not be able to land it successfully.

But that is not your biggest problem. Unless they also somehow waive your import taxes, you will pay approximately 35% of Aduana's value in taxes and first placa (not what you paid) of the vehicle........which is currently $942,000 pesos.

Better to call Aduana directly info@dga.gov.do or (809) 547-7070. Just also know that what you might be told over the phone might not actually be what happens as each port has their own administrator.........and often times their own rules.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
playacaribe2 knows of what he speaks (and so does the gorgon).

Churches are always businesses. That is a fact, not a belief.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

If the car was not manufactured in a US Toyota plant, then there are going to be large duties. Even manufactured in Toronto Toyota plant for some reason is not considered inside the DR-CAFTA agreement. To me it seems they are not understanding and applying the agreement correctly here, but this is par for the course for almost everything in this country.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If the car was not manufactured in a US Toyota plant, then there are going to be large duties. Even manufactured in Toronto Toyota plant for some reason is not considered inside the DR-CAFTA agreement. To me it seems they are not understanding and applying the agreement correctly here, but this is par for the course for almost everything in this country.

Canada is not a member of DR CAFTA