New US immigration law impacts Dominicans Dominicantoday

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Within the article it says
"Likewise, those who receive food stamps, medical services for people of low income (Medicaid)
and those subsidized for housing programs, also called Section 8 and aid given to single mothers."

If I am planning to reside in a foreign country (as I currently am) I do not expect the host country
to pick up the tab and neither should anyone else. Look at like cutting the umbilical cord.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Within the article it says
"Likewise, those who receive food stamps, medical services for people of low income (Medicaid)
and those subsidized for housing programs, also called Section 8 and aid given to single mothers."

If I am planning to reside in a foreign country (as I currently am) I do not expect the host country
to pick up the tab and neither should anyone else. Look at like cutting the umbilical cord.

do you use propane to cook while you are in the DR? if so, did you know that it is subsidized by the government? they do not prevent you from buying it at the same price that Moises does, do they? ergo, you are benefitting from a government plan to aid low income people, just like the people to whom you allude.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
do you use propane to cook while you are in the DR?

No, I do not. I use an electric stove.
Could this turn out to be the beginning
of the end for the Welfare Queens of America?
Boy do I miss the days of sitting around the
Calliope Projects sitting on my *ss all day
smoking weed and making babies with like
minded individuals. Times are indeed a changing...
Huh bruh?

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No, I do not. I use an electric stove.
Could this turn out to be the beginning
of the end for the Welfare Queens of America?
Boy do I miss the days of sitting around the
Calliope Projects sitting on my *ss all day
smoking weed and making babies with like
minded individuals. Times are indeed a changing...
Huh bruh?

is that your answer to my question?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
There is a big difference between buying subsidized propane and receiving $ 600 a month food stamps, getting your apart. paid for, free medical, etc.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
do you use propane to cook while you are in the DR? if so, did you know that it is subsidized by the government? they do not prevent you from buying it at the same price that Moises does, do they? ergo, you are benefitting from a government plan to aid low income people, just like the people to whom you allude.

Propane used to be subsidized, but not anymore....Moises has a Solidarity card that he uses to get a monthly amount of propane that is subsidized by the govt......has been this way for a couple of years....I remember when the subsidy went out and the price went up about 15-20% and a lot of people installing propane conversions went out of business as it savings weren't worth the price for the conversion anymore.....

My thoughts not yours.....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

So long as you do not attempt to somehow use it as a cheap excuse to streer this
thread into a discussion about the race related social ills in America created by a
predominantly upper white middle class to oppress those of color.... yes, it is the
answer to your previous question.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is a big difference between buying subsidized propane and receiving $ 600 a month food stamps, getting your apart. paid for, free medical, etc.

and is this difference conceptual, or numerical?

have you done the calculations to establish how much a purchaser actually benefits from a government subsidy?

let us say that people are getting 600 dollars in food stamps, etc. that is a lot.

let us say an expat opens a restaurant. he uses thousands of pesos worth of subsidized propane per month. he converts that investment into a profit.

what then?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Did not CristoRey respond he uses an electric stove and not propane? I saw that clear answer to your question.

What other items are subsidized by the government that anyone in the DR can purchase?

Certainly not gasoline, diesel, vehicles, electronics or anything else I can think of after living here for 15 years. Someone has commented that not even propane is subsidized any more, but I did not check that. A friend used to have the minister in charge of Combusibles as her boyfriend, but that relationship ended several years ago.

As far as what happens in the US regarding welfare and fraud, the remains to be seen. I know personally that Dominicans are extremely skilled at negotiating the welfare system.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
It's definitely a problem. Anybody that is able to enter the USA can show up at the ER and run up a big bill. It's fairly common for women to travel to the USA to have their baby as it's "free" and the baby is now a citizen of USA.

Other countries require buying insurance or similar to enter the country. Also, the requirements for citizenship are not quite so lax.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Did not CristoRey respond he uses an electric stove and not propane? I saw that clear answer to your question.

What other items are subsidized by the government that anyone in the DR can purchase?

Certainly not gasoline, diesel, vehicles, electronics or anything else I can think of after living here for 15 years. Someone has commented that not even propane is subsidized any more, but I did not check that. A friend used to have the minister in charge of Combusibles as her boyfriend, but that relationship ended several years ago.

As far as what happens in the US regarding welfare and fraud, the remains to be seen. I know personally that Dominicans are extremely skilled at negotiating the welfare system.

i guess you missed the part about the welfare mothers making babies. i do not need that crap for an answwer, windeguy. in case you are not paying attention, the site is becoming radioactive, what with the confrontational approach that has become the currency of the realm. there is nothing difficult about giving a civil answer.

in case you are not noticing, more and more people have left the site recently, and many have stated that they will never log on to the site again. it is because of the rancorous responses, and the lack of common civility.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i guess you missed the part about the welfare mothers making babies. i do not need that crap for an answwer, windeguy. in case you are not paying attention, the site is becoming radioactive, what with the confrontational approach that has become the currency of the realm. there is nothing difficult about giving a civil answer.

in case you are not noticing, more and more people have left the site recently, and many have stated that they will never log on to the site again. it is because of the rancorous responses, and the lack of common civility.

I did miss that in this thread. The "story", true or not, of welfare mom's making babies predates my birth. Nothing new about that "story". I know people taking advantage of such situations personally.

Jan 9, 2004
I did miss that in this thread. The "story", true or not, of welfare mom's making babies predates my birth. Nothing new about that "story". I know people taking advantage of such situations personally.

There is a "cottage" industry of brokering marriages for green cards.........and not just with Dominicans.

It is an issue finally being addressed........and long overdue.

The going Dominican price can be anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 dollars per successful green card. Even the addition of an Affidavit of Support now required of the Petitioner has not been able to effectively slow down the fraud.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Feb 7, 2007
Propane used to be subsidized, but not anymore....Moises has a Solidarity card that he uses to get a monthly amount of propane that is subsidized by the govt......has been this way for a couple of years....I remember when the subsidy went out and the price went up about 15-20% and a lot of people installing propane conversions went out of business as it savings weren't worth the price for the conversion anymore.....

My thoughts not yours.....

Correct... propane is no longer subsidized. That's why you can no longer get from Santo Domingo to Bavaro on 300 pesos worth of LPG... The Padres de Familia have Bonogas card... gives like 3 gallons of gas per month for free...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a "cottage" industry of brokering marriages for green cards.........and not just with Dominicans.

It is an issue finally being addressed........and long overdue.

The going Dominican price can be anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 dollars per successful green card. Even the addition of an Affidavit of Support now required of the Petitioner has not been able to effectively slow down the fraud.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Exactly correct. No question about the existence of this industry. $10,000 US is the number I have heard through the coconut telegraph from Neuva York for a green card marriage.

Apr 7, 2014
Exactly correct. No question about the existence of this industry. $10,000 US is the number I have heard through the coconut telegraph from Neuva York for a green card marriage.
$10,000 to do it...$50,000 fine if you get caught. Wheres the benefit?

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's definitely a problem. Anybody that is able to enter the USA can show up at the ER and run up a big bill. It's fairly common for women to travel to the USA to have their baby as it's "free" and the baby is now a citizen of USA.

Other countries require buying insurance or similar to enter the country. Also, the requirements for citizenship are not quite so lax.

I can also personally confirm that this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.