Over 30 days your passport is blocked.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Wife just flying out of POP. She just texted me.

"New immigration system. All foreign passports with a stay >30 days are automatically blocked So every time they have to take documents over to another station to unblock it"

We are Dominican residence but appears that does not matter. We have had this happen a couple of times before but was not consistent. I fly out Friday so will see.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This has been the law/norm for quite some time. Several threads have addressed it

All non-Dominican passports are blocked, even Dominicans with dual-nationality if they enter with a foreign passport. Was a quick unlock as soon as Mr AE showed his cedula.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The internet age is creeping into the DR.
Good or bad things are changing. The net is great for keeping track of people.
DR income taxes?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They want to make sure to collect the Overstay Fee.

Exactly. No longer can the traveler fold some cash in their passport and be passed through. The individual immigration guy or gal can’t unlock it. Has to be done at the overstay counter. We didn’t know that, after we paid my overstay we proceeded to the regular line, only to have to wait while someone came over and took Mr AEs passport to unlock it.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I have read that other airports have been doing this for some time. POP is usually behind. As I said before, a few times they had to unblock them but not consistent.

We ALWAYS have our residence cards with our passport so that does seam to make things go faster... from what the supervisor says. They are not set up/programed to tag people as a resident using a foreign passport that would be a lot better.

So ALL foreign passports that are over 30 days stay are now blocked.

As noted before; It's the law.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it depends on how new your residency card is.
I have renewed recently and I now appear on the computer.... no need for fingerprints

The newer cards may be 'in the system' while the older ones are not.

I renewed in April and have no problems since... 2 or 3 exits

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Exactly. No longer can the traveler fold some cash in their passport and be passed through. The individual immigration guy or gal can’t unlock it. Has to be done at the overstay counter. We didn’t know that, after we paid my overstay we proceeded to the regular line, only to have to wait while someone came over and took Mr AEs passport to unlock it.

If Mr. A@E still has a Dominican passport tell him to use it at Immigration. Going out they will want to see the US one but stamp the DR one.I use the DR passport so my US one is never locked.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If Mr. A@E still has a Dominican passport tell him to use it at Immigration. Going out they will want to see the US one but stamp the DR one.I use the DR passport so my US one is never locked.

He carries his DR passport but never uses it because it expired years ago. Since we always have to go to the overstay desk for mine anyway........

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
So what is the difference, blocked or not, past 30 days a fine is imposed regardless, no?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So what is the difference, blocked or not, past 30 days a fine is imposed regardless, no?

Not if you are a resident or citizen. I get mine blocked all the time. I just show my Cedula go over to another desk as directed and it is unblocked in a couple of minutes, then you go back through the other booth and you get your passport stamped and away you go. no fine.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Not if you are a resident or citizen. I get mine blocked all the time. I just show my Cedula go over to another desk as directed and it is unblocked in a couple of minutes, then you go back through the other booth and you get your passport stamped and away you go. no fine.

I get that Mr. Bob, comment was more in tone with tourist visitors. What exactly is blocking accomplishing that wasn't being performed prior?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mom CB left Santiago Wednesday moring after her 6-month stay to go to the states for a week. She will return to the DR.

She said no issues at all with immigration when leaving. Paid her RD$4000 as usual and passed through with zero issues.

We will see what happens when the old girl returns in 10 days. With a treasure trove of Jimmy Dean bulk and Publix Italian sausage. :)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
At the end of May after 9 months here we flew out of SDQ with no issues, we had passports but no residency cards (they were at the DGM for renewal) the lady asked "your residents right?", we responded Yes and were on our way, the return back 3 weeks later still without residency cards, zero questions asked, entered no problem. I just flew out of SDQ again last week, upon departure my passport was blocked they told me due to the "30 day" limit, I was sent to another booth, my passport and permanent residency card (brand new-4th issue) were photo copied/scanned and I was then sent back to get my passport stamped and was on my way..

No big deal really, an ten extra minutes of formalities but this business of being re-directed to another agent due to an overstay of 30 days and the photocopying of my documents was a first for me in the ten + yrs I've been living here.

Something is afoot, something is definitely changing..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only thing changing is the DR is tired of the people working the booths pocketing the money. Now that has changed..........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes - certainly that's true...

But when you're cleaning the garbage can..... clean it

Solving the root of the problem will solve all the resulting problems...