Anyone heard of the Toyota Rush?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
6682143.jpg

Appears to be a new SUV on the market. I had never heard of it until I was browsing Super Carros.

It looks ideal for the DR. Body-on-chassis construction, three rows of seats, 1.5 turbo petrol engine delivering 40+ mpg and an incredible price of $26,900, or $29,900 if you want leather.

It looks very well equipped too.

Looking into its background it seems to be a re-badged Daihatsu Terios, but this model is based on a Toyota platform and is made in Indonesia. Putting that Toyota badge is definitely gong to give it kudos in this country.

Size wise it looks like it fits in between the Rav4 and the Fortuner.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I've heard of it but don't have any experience with the Rush. We need to bring a vehicle with us to DR in 2020 and have our eye on a '19 Rav4. It seems a bit more "rugged" than previous models - better traction control, higher clearance, etc. Normally aspirated engine, normal 8 speed tranny. No CVT. Nothing "weird" to deal with later when it breaks. Initially looked at Subaru but you have the CRT and a wonky flat 4 engine that normal mechanics might have an issue with.

Jan 9, 2004
6682143.jpg

Appears to be a new SUV on the market. I had never heard of it until I was browsing Super Carros.

It looks ideal for the DR. Body-on-chassis construction, three rows of seats, 1.5 turbo petrol engine delivering 40+ mpg and an incredible price of $26,900, or $29,900 if you want leather.

Looking into its background it seems to be a re-badged Daihatsu Terios, but this model is based on a Toyota platform and is made in Indonesia. Putting that Toyota badge is definitely gong to give it kudos in this country.

The Rush has been around for a few years now.

Sold mostly and popular in the Pacific rim countries, it has now been re-designed and enlarged as it makes its way to the West.

7 seater with a 1.5L engine..........seems under powered. Maybe the Turbo gives it what it needs.

It is not currently sold in the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The Rush has been around for a few years now.

Sold mostly and popular in the Pacific rim countries, it has now been re-designed and enlarged as it makes its way to the West.

7 seater with a 1.5L engine..........seems under powered. Maybe the Turbo gives it what it needs.

It is not currently sold in the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree it's probably not going to set your world on fire in terms of poke. But the roads aren't up to sufficient standards for a fast car anyway. The trade off is that amazing fuel economy.

Jan 9, 2004
I agree it's probably not going to set your world on fire in terms of poke. But the roads aren't up to sufficient standards for a fast car anyway. The trade off is that amazing fuel economy.

Speaking of which, while it does have pretty good ground clearance.........it is not available in 4 wheel/AWD.

Fully loaded with 7 passengers and cargo with a 1.5.......I bet that engine has to work real hard.....and in this day and age, why did they use a 4 speed transmission.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Kind of looks like a Nissan Rogue/Murano (currently drive one) . Could just be the angle of the photo. Maybe something to look into, I like Toyota.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
6682143.jpg

If it's a rebadged Terios, it's gotta be pretty good. The Terios and the Sirion have been rebadged as Toyotas for years.

I have owned both new and used and found them to be excellent vehicles.

Jan 9, 2004
If it's a rebadged Terios, it's gotta be pretty good. The Terios and the Sirion have been rebadged as Toyotas for years.

I have owned both new and used and found them to be excellent vehicles.

The specs are pretty much the same............but there is a difference.

The Terios is a Crossover (built and based on a car chassis) and the Rush is an SUV (built and based on a truck platform).

So what then is likely discernable is that all other things being equal, you will get a smoother ride from the Terios.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

The Terios is a Crossover (built and based on a car chassis) and the Rush is an SUV (built and based on a truck platform).

So what then is likely discernable is that all other things being equal, you will get a smoother ride from the Terios.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Good point. And Daihatsu trucks are legendary for durability.

If I was in the market for a new vehicle this would be one of the first I would consider and probably buy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
109hp and 100 ft.lbs of torque in a 2500lb. vehicle sounds pretty pokey to me.

Jan 9, 2004
109hp and 100 ft.lbs of torque in a 2500lb. vehicle sounds pretty pokey to me.

Imagine it is 7 seater and what it must be like with 7 passengers, full cargo area, and only a 4
speed automatic transmission..........and only comes with rear wheel drive.......

The Terios is looking like a much better bet..........but the Rush does have curb appeal.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Imagine it is 7 seater and what it must be like with 7 passengers, full cargo area, and only a 4
speed automatic transmission..........and only comes with rear wheel drive.......

The Terios is looking like a much better bet..........but the Rush does have curb appeal.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I can tell a huge difference with 4 passengers and baggage in our V-6 Explorer, especially in thast long uphill stretch going to Jarabacoa.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

We are a family of four and have a 7 seater Highlander. We used the third row of seats last weekend to go to the beach with some friends. The second time this year we used the third row.

In reality who would buy this car and drive it fully laden the whole time? Not us, but it would be perfect for the school run and doing every day duties, whilst coping with the rough roads and sipping fuel, unlike the 3.5 litre V6 of the Highlander. Don't get me wrong, I love the Highlander. It's silent, refined, quick when I want it to be and surprising how fuel efficient it is for a US market car.

The problem is petrol is expensive here, like Europe and not like the US, where's it's relatively cheap. Very few people drive 3.5 V6s in Europe. European cars are a non starter here. Skilled mechanics are few and far between. Parts are difficult and expensive to obtain and they depreciate through the floor for exactly that reason. The leaves Japanese, Korean or American cars available.

American cars are great. They are strong, reliable and are usually very well equipped, but their thirst for fuel can be a minus point.
Korean cars are starting to find their niche and are doing well. Especially the ones that run on LPG.
Japanese cars are still the best choice for this country, in my opinion. Toyota and Honda appear to be evenly ranked at the top, with Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda the next rung down.

I reckon this car could be a game changer here. It ticks a lot of boxes. It does have a few limitations, such as lack of 4x4 and only a 4 speed transmission. But I believe they are intentional to keep the overall cost down and appeal to a larger market. Again, my Highlander is 4x4, I've never got myself into a situation where I've needed it. it's transport, not a an off-road toy.

Jan 9, 2004
We are a family of four and have a 7 seater Highlander. We used the third row of seats last weekend to go to the beach with some friends. The second time this year we used the third row.

In reality who would buy this car and drive it fully laden the whole time? Not us, but it would be perfect for the school run and doing every day duties, whilst coping with the rough roads and sipping fuel, unlike the 3.5 litre V6 of the Highlander. Don't get me wrong, I love the Highlander. It's silent, refined, quick when I want it to be and surprising how fuel efficient it is for a US market car.

The problem is petrol is expensive here, like Europe and not like the US, where's it's relatively cheap. Very few people drive 3.5 V6s in Europe. European cars are a non starter here. Skilled mechanics are few and far between. Parts are difficult and expensive to obtain and they depreciate through the floor for exactly that reason. The leaves Japanese, Korean or American cars available.

American cars are great. They are strong, reliable and are usually very well equipped, but their thirst for fuel can be a minus point.
Korean cars are starting to find their niche and are doing well. Especially the ones that run on LPG.
Japanese cars are still the best choice for this country, in my opinion. Toyota and Honda appear to be evenly ranked at the top, with Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda the next rung down.

I reckon this car could be a game changer here. It ticks a lot of boxes. It does have a few limitations, such as lack of 4x4 and only a 4 speed transmission. But I believe they are intentional to keep the overall cost down and appeal to a larger market. Again, my Highlander is 4x4, I've never got myself into a situation where I've needed it. it's transport, not a an off-road toy.

Things to consider.........it is a newly designed model..........and history says wait until they work out the bugs...that usually surface in the first year or two;

Additionally, if you like the ride of your Highlander, you will not likely get the same from the Rush. Highlander is a crossover built on the Camry platform. Rush as indicated above is a pure SUV built on a truck platform.

But, it does have curb appeal...I will give it that........but the interior looks to be cheap plastic.........and as you suggest above, likely they skimped on things to get to a certain price point (no 4X4 and only a 4 speed automatic).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

I agree about the "thirst" issue, and certainly gas is expensive in the DR.

I, on the other hand, gladly will trade poor fuel economy for size and the ability to withstand a worse crash. Fact is, the larger the vehicle, the better it can withstand a crash.

Safety first.

I like body-on-frame construction.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, gas is expensive.....
But it’s a small island

I doubt many put on the miles here like they do in Canada or the USA
You really get annual mileage there.

Like CB... I’ll take the comfort and safety for the little bit of extra gas

My new M-UX is the diesel... much better gas than the the Suzuki XL7