Outdoor Patio Furniture

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
We purchased a decent but simple ikea outdoor wooden dining table for our roof deck. We shalacked it but after nearly 3 seasons in the sun and rain it is falling apart. The only option that comes to mind is replacing it with a metal and plastic table from ikea for APX $35,000 peso.

Table Link

I am wondering if there are other better and less expensive options in the Bavaro area? Not driving to S.D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Try Illumel on the way to PC from Bavaro on your right. I know they have some but prices are not the best there. But you can check, sometimes they have sales.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We purchased a decent but simple ikea outdoor wooden dining table for our roof deck. We shalacked it but after nearly 3 seasons in the sun and rain it is falling apart. The only option that comes to mind is replacing it with a metal and plastic table from ikea for APX $35,000 peso.

Table Link

I am wondering if there are other better and less expensive options in the Bavaro area? Not driving to S.D.

FWIW, If you put IKEA stuff together with white glue and give it a coating of varnish, it will last much, much longer.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Last year Illumel had some pretty decent plastic wicker at what seemed fairly reasonable prices for the DR.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Try Illumel on the way to PC from Bavaro on your right. I know they have some but prices are not the best there. But you can check, sometimes they have sales.

I will definetly give them a look while I am there. We have been to Illumel several times for furniture and never left with anything because the stuff we liked that was not on sale was way too expensive and the sale items that were priced fairly did not meet out tastes. Maybe we will get lucky one of these times.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
We pretty much did that. Not the white glue part. It did last longer but not long enough. We varnished it a few months after putting it together. That was probably our big mistake.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
We pretty much did that. Not the white glue part. It did last longer but not long enough. We varnished it a few months after putting it together. That was probably our big mistake.
Not much last from ikea in or outside... covering it at night or rains would of helped some..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I'd love to show you my picnic table I made about 8 years ago. It's been sitting outside since I made it, has been varnished 3 times, and is still absolutely rock solid even though it is used extensively every day by employees.

I used an entire bottle of wood glue when I built it.

If you cover both surfaces of wood being fastened together before you bolt them together, it will make a bond you will not be able to break - the wood will split first.

If you really liked the IKEA stuff, I'd suggest trying again and this time use glue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is another place that you can try in Bavaro. On the main hwy heading towards Miches a short distance after the traffic light there is a furniture store on your right. It is directly at a turn off on your right. Forget the name, but they might well have what you are looking for, and they are a lot less than the others.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
For the record I was able to find a reasonably priced table at Illumel. They had plenty of unreasonably priced options but on the second floor, they were a few "outlet" options. For $18,436 RD or $366 USD I found a metal and plastic table that should last for many years to come. 4 heavy duty plastic chairs from IKEA for about $180 USD. Rooftop terrace problem solved.