The New Hatian Influx (True or False?)

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hello, Everyone.

Ok, before I get bashed in about why I'm even bringing this subject up since it's been covered a thousand times over-let me say that I think I have a good reason and am only inquiring.

I am curious if what is being reported in social media is true that at this point there could be up to 2 million Hatians in the country. In other words it seems like the government is not doing much to control the border.

Also, I even saw a report from some famous lady (Yadira I believe her name is) about how Hatian women are having kids like crazy and staying in the country...adding to the conspiracy that they are invading the country quietly and that the government is in on it.

So, in a nutshell, my question is (if at all) what is the difference from the usual influx of Hatians right now? Is the increase a real one or is what I'm seeing just propaganda. Is there anything to this be it true or false?

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2003
Hello, Everyone.

Ok, before I get bashed in about why I'm even bringing this subject up since it's been covered a thousand times over-let me say that I think I have a good reason and am only inquiring.

I am curious if what is being reported in social media is true that at this point there could be up to 2 million Hatians in the country. In other words it seems like the government is not doing much to control the border.

Also, I even saw a report from some famous lady (Yadira I believe her name is) about how Hatian women are having kids like crazy and staying in the country...adding to the conspiracy that they are invading the country quietly and that the government is in on it.

So, in a nutshell, my question is (if at all) what is the difference from the usual influx of Hatians right now? Is the increase a real one or is what I'm seeing just propaganda. Is there anything to this be it true or false?

Thanks.

Immigration has become a global problem. Any country(or region) that borders a poorer one has this problem. Why should the DR be any different?

A political backlash has already started all over the world. Soon violence will break out and formerly calm and peaceful countries will become war zones.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Immigration has become a global problem. Any country(or region) that borders a poorer one has this problem. Why should the DR be any different?

A political backlash has already started all over the world. Soon violence will break out and formerly calm and peaceful countries will become war zones.

Although, I appreciate your response you didn't exactly answer my question. Again, is there any difference right now compared to the usual influx of Hatians into the country.

And as far as violence breaking out (let's keep it DR) is there any tensions on the street at this moment? What are the locals feeling or saying for that matter? Again, there is a lot going on in social media but I'm trying to figure out if it matches what is going on inside the country.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Although, I appreciate your response you didn't exactly answer my question. Again, is there any difference right now compared to the usual influx of Hatians into the country.

Yes, there is a huge difference.

In the past (Balaguer time), Haitians were in the DR with one goal as far as Dominican goes; to work the sugar cane fields and stay segregated and limited to the sugar cane plantations and sugar cane mills.

Back during those days most Haitians were returned to Haiti once the sugar cane season was over.

That has changed to now finding Haitians nationals everywhere, doing everything and mixing up with the Dominican society at all levels.

Gone are the times where Haitians were limited to just certain social circles. The populations has grown, residency and Dominican citizenship was granted to many of them so the mixture concocted by some higher powers is now in full effect.

The current government is prisoner of their own decisions or lack thereof. PLD sold their soul to the devil!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think it's possible to get a good number on how many Haitians are here in the country. The government is deporting many, but they seem to come back in jast as fast, or faster than they are deported.

The border is very porous and there are many reports of Haitians paying off border guards to come into the country. I've also read a lot of reports of the numbers of Haitians increasing in Santiago, Santo Domingo and much of the southwest part of the country.

Based solely on what I've read, it does sound like the number of Haitians coming here is increasing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not too long ago the DR government gave some figure regarding the number of Venezuelans based on the ´immigrant census´. Not too long after that event the Venezuelan ambassador said that the number given by DR´s government is not real because the amount of Venezuelans is much higher.

My take is that the government is trying to control public perception by reducing to the minimum the amount of Haitians it claims are in the country. In the process they subject every foreign nationality to the same formula that gives the lowest number possible.

Another issue must also be considered by the OP. When the regularization plan was in action, most of the Haitians working in farms in the Linea Noroeste (basically everything between Santiago and the border with Haiti) got documents that proved they were in the plan. A while after that, many of the Dominican farmers, that loved to say that they hire Haitians because Dominicans don´t want to do farm work (they never mention that the real problem is the wages) while the Haitians do, made a public outcry that most of their Haitian workers abandoned their farms as soon that they got official regularization papers. They complained that there was a shortage of workers because most of the Haitians left for other parts of the DR where they can get better paying work, such as in Santiago, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, they even mentioned Bavaro.

With that in mind, it´s quite possible there is a new influx of illegal Haitians to the farms that were left without workers once their original Haitian workers were given the freedom to choose what they truly want. Those same farmers don´t want to raise wages to attract their former Haitian workers and much less increase wages to attract Dominican workers. They want to keep the wages at levels that only an illegal with no rights would be obligated to accept, especially if the Dominican farmer sent someone to Haiti to bring him fresh slaves, I mean fresh Haitians.

You also have to take into account that certain areas of the DR could be seeing an influx of Haitians, but these are Haitians that were in one part of the country and then moved where the wages are higher for what he knows how to do.

Lastly, there have been reports coming out from Central Romana sugar plantation that the older Haitian sugar workers are being kicked out of the bateyes owned by the company and they are being replaced with young Haitians freshly arrived from Haiti without understanding a word of Spanish. These are young guys with no documents of any kind. The Haitians being kicked out of the bateyes are left to their own devices for survival, including old people with dissabilities. Many of them are moving in large numbers to La Romana city, Bavaro, and especially to Santo Domingo.

As with everything, the answer to the OP´s question is: its complicated.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Do folks really believe the real issue of the DR is an influx of illegal Haitians? This Haitian thing keeps being beaten like a dead horse. Beat it all you want, it ain't going away.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Hello, Everyone.

Thanks.
Are you biased against Haitians?

(Semi-rhetorical...........okay, fully rhetorical)

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Are you biased against Haitians?

(Semi-rhetorical...........okay, fully rhetorical)

What in my post did you find that might even give a hint of me being biased 'against' Hatians?

I am not a believer in racism or the mistreatment of another people because of differences such as skin pigmentation, religion and or disabilities. However, if I can't take care of those living in my own home I have to question if it's right for me to take care of outsiders while my own go hungry. I know this subject is complicated but is this not what happens in hospitals? Dominican women can't get a bed because a lot of the times they are filled with Hatian Nationals? I mean, it is just logical to me. This does not mean I can't help others whenever possible and appropriate.

My question to you would be, would you take food out of the mouths of your own children to feed someone else's? It's a simple question when you think about it.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
What in my post did you find that might even give a hint of me being biased 'against' Hatians?

I am not a believer in racism or the mistreatment of another people because of differences such as skin pigmentation, religion and or disabilities. However, if I can't take care of those living in my own home I have to question if it's right for me to take care of outsiders while my own go hungry. I know this subject is complicated but is this not what happens in hospitals? Dominican women can't get a bed because a lot of the times they are filled with Hatian Nationals? I mean, it is just logical to me. This does not mean I can't help others whenever possible and appropriate.

My question to you would be, would you take food out of the mouths of your own children to feed someone else's? It's a simple question when you think about it.
He who doth protest too much.....

After you typed the word "However" your bias shines through.

Everything before the word "However" was total BS.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
He who doth protest too much.....

After you typed the word "However" your bias shines through.

Everything before the word "However" was total BS.

Personally, I could careless what you think of me and or what I say through this forum. But for you to sit there and actually say what I said was BS is mighty stupid of you (to put it mildly). First of all I don't need to hide or act like something I am not in real life and even less in a forum like this. But it's funny that you would judge everything or a mayor part of my argument on a simple word. Let me guess, if I use the word 'however' after all I have written here it will become complete BS, correct? Give me a break. You know nothing about me to even remotely begin to make a concrete analysis of anything I might have to say, especially if you are basing it on one word.

And spare me with the Shakespeare nonsense-for it does not fit here. And if you were able to coherently read my first post you would be able to understand I was simply inquiring to see if what was going on in social media reflected what is currently going on in Dominican society at this giving time.

Sep 20, 2003

And this is why so many people are against open borders. It doesn't make someone racist. After a few Western countries have collapsed into starvation and anarchy, maybe some people will start to understand that--when it is too late.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

production, in simple economic terms, is a combination of land, labor, and capital. reducing the cost of any of those components, or all of them, reduces the final cost of production.

think of that reality every time you wonder why there are so many Haitians in the DR...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

And you really think they ( dr goverment ) cant take care of their own because of the number of haitians ? Hahahaha......
They dont want to take care of their own........... all they want is to rob as much as they can as fast as they can..... and then pin it on the haitians...... a quick PR stint on social media, and voilá they are home free.

The worst ennemy of the dominicans is the dominican political class.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is how I see the Haitian immigration into this country be it legally or illegally..
Yall remember that saber toothed tiger from the Flintstones?

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
With 2 million dominicans in the United States, and thousands more leaving weekly. Who do you think is/has replaced them. Not Gringos, that's for sure. One would have to assume mostly Haitians, and a small influx of Venezuelans.

I am unsure. But I doubt there has been a population reduction, even though so many Dominicans have left.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
With 2 million dominicans in the United States, and thousands more leaving weekly. Who do you think is/has replaced them. Not Gringos, that's for sure. One would have to assume mostly Haitians, and a small influx of Venezuelans.

I am unsure. But I doubt there has been a population reduction, even though so many Dominicans have left.

Dominican immigration to the US and many other places is an ongoing trend which has been well established for years. Haitians has nothing to do with it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

In this forum, if you say anything that could even remotely be construed as negative or critical of Haitians, consider your self lucky that you were only called baised.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Definitely. The Dominican Medical Association has been complaining for years of the adverse effects the large influx of pregnant Haitian women are having on the budget and quality of care at the public hospitals.

[video=youtube;8JBjhrjNWQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBjhrjNWQc[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They also complain of the mafias that illegally transport thousands of Haitian women from Haiti to Dominican public hospitals in SD and Santiago.

[video=youtube;i46A3dhWE8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46A3dhWE8U[/video]