Book DR Geology??

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Recommendations, please? Spanish, ok.

Interested in the north coast geology. I always assumed limestone, but the road excavations look much more like Tuft (volcanic debris).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How is your Spanish?

There are some reports and final papers for geology students at the PUCMM library.

That is about it, except for very general observations in some Dominican Geography books.

I do agree with you in refrence to volcanic activity.

Remember that the North Coast is part of the North American tectonic plate (or pretty close to being a part of it.
The major fault lines running along the coast and the mountains go east--west, the most eastern part of the Caribbean plate is where the Puerto Rico Trench is.

No doubt that in the distant past there must have been some volcanic action.

HB

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
How is your Spanish?

There are some reports and final papers for geology students at the PUCMM library.

That is about it, except for very general observations in some Dominican Geography books.

I do agree with you in refrence to volcanic activity.

Remember that the North Coast is part of the North American tectonic plate (or pretty close to being a part of it.
The major fault lines running along the coast and the mountains go east--west, the most eastern part of the Caribbean plate is where the Puerto Rico Trench is.

No doubt that in the distant past there must have been some volcanic action.

HB

Regarding Spanish, I don't mind some rough sledding if it improves my Spanish. I'm always up for a challenge.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Just a hypothesis, but my guess is that Puerto Plata is sitting next to an ancient resurgent caldera.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Hispaniola evolved as a complex island arc associated with bi-polar subduction through Cretaceous to Late Eocene time. Since then, the island has straddled the left-lateral strike-slip fault zone that separates the North American and Caribbean Plates and has largely been volcanically inactive.

In other words, its a large rock volcanically belched up from a large crack in the bottom of the sea floor long ago.