Ratty banknotes

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I have dealt only a little with Haitian currency, but I notice that the notes I have seen are way more ragged and dirty than most Dominican or USA notes.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They probably replace them at longer intervals that does DR´s Central Bank. Printing paper money isn´t cheap, especially with the security tricks that are imbedded.

If you notice, Dominican paper money often smells worse than American money and its probably due to the same reason Haitian money is often in worse shape than Dominican money.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They probably replace them at longer intervals that does DR´s Central Bank. Printing paper money isn´t cheap, especially with the security tricks that are imbedded.

If you notice, Dominican paper money often smells worse than American money and its probably due to the same reason Haitian money is often in worse shape than Dominican money.

maybe the paper is different? i mean, a lot of counterfeiters are caught because the weight of the bills is different. that is why serious counterfeiters wash bills and reprint denominations. so, take a 1 dollar bill, wash it, and print 100 on the paper.