rent deposits question

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I have been scouting a few house in Santiago and so far all the agents I have talked to are telling me the same thing, 1 or 2 deposit and 1 month extra pay the agent fee.

They are all telling me this is like this in Santiago

I have been living in SD for 7 years, 3 different house, I have never paid any extra money to. the agent, it was always coming out of the landlord (wich make sense right...) so im simply wondering, is this a thing? and if yes, how so?

When you buy a house in Santiago does the buyer pays the commission also?? lol makes no sense.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are not Dominican, get a Dominican you know to try and rent a house with the same realtors and see if they ask him for this.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I rented in Santiago. It is what it is. (My wife is Dominican) You want to rent or nitpick with the owners? Good luck then.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I live in Santiago and 3 months is all I have ever know ...and the person was a Dominican who leased the house.......

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
this is extremely strange that from a city to another they do things different.

Either way, I stand my own, I would never pay the commission. Had to unfortunately cancel my favorite options, there is plenty of options available and it's clearly a buyer market and not seller, for what its worth some of the owners of houses I have on my list are on board with paying the agent fee even tho not all of them but I find it kinda outrageous they try to f*ck renters like this.

I love how they said "es asi en santiago"

Didnt know Santiago was so special from other cities around the world lol.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
referring to your comment SKY, Honestly I hate seeing comments like this. If you feel like a Dominican would have it better then you its simply your own fault, Dominicans are actually very bad at negociating and understanding values of almost anything.

Either you are too weak while negociating or making a decisions or you have poor knowledge on how to handle a business/money decision that doesn't have a price tag on it if you feel like you need your Dominican wife to make an arrengment

Never be afraid of walking away and also you never loose something that is not yours, just stand on your side and if they prefer to loose a sell then its there problem not yours!

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I rent in Santiago. Paid 2 months deposit plus first months rent to owner of
property on day I signed 1 year lease with receipt of course.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yes, you know it all. Good luck again. :D
No I am not trying to sound smart or anything, yeah sometimes I would tend to agree that its better to let a local do X stuff, but I disagree when it comes to these type of situation.

Of course if you don't speak Spanish or just arrive here and dont understands people logic they will eat you alive.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No I am not trying to sound smart or anything, yeah sometimes I would tend to agree that its better to let a local do X stuff, but I disagree when it comes to these type of situation.

Of course if you don't speak Spanish or just arrive here and dont understands people logic they will eat you alive.

I am here since 20 years and speak Spanish fluent. And still they make a difference between a foreigner and a Dominican.

What I meant is I do not care much if I have to pay the realtor when

- the place meets my needs,
- I negociated a better monthly rent as advertised
- I need to get things done in a certain time frame
- I do not want to travel twenty times from the capital to Santiago to check houses since I work and only get paid for time I work and travelling back and forth would cost me more than that 1 rent paid to the realtor
- And, last but not least: "Asi es en Santiago" or whatever :D :D

I just realized this is the Legal Forum.

I do not know, if "Asi es en Santiago" is legal. I think, not really since I am used to 2 (deposits) + 1 (rent) from the capital too, which I think is what is legally allowed.

Last edited:

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I am here since 20 years and speak Spanish fluent. And still they make a difference between a foreigner and a Dominican.

What I meant is I do not care much if I have to pay the realtor when

- the place meets my needs,
- I negociated a better monthly rent as advertised
- I need to get things done in a certain time frame
- I do not want to travel twenty times from the capital to Santiago to check houses since I work and only get paid for time I work and travelling back and forth would cost me more than that 1 rent paid to the realtor
- And, last but not least: "Asi es en Santiago" or whatever :D :D

I just realized this is the Legal Forum.

I do not know, if "Asi es en Santiago" is legal. I think, not really since I am used to 2 (deposits) + 1 (rent) from the capital too, which I think is what is legally allowed.
I agree with you that sometimes its better to pay if the cost is worth it over your time, totally agree with you on that.

Fortunately im in no rush and seems like there's many options in Santiago vs SD. And to be fair, you will always negociate a better deal then what they ask. Everything I have rented so far the price went down 25-35% vs there original price, just bad Dominican logic to put price very high vs real value until they get the minimum price they will accept.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Yes this happened to me also.... have no idea who or how the 3 month was split up and i had to pay the contract also i felt a little bit taken but it is what it is.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can tell the truth, you want the place but will not pay for the privilege of renting it. They can charge the other party or "Whistle Dixie", as my father used to say..............

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have been scouting a few house in Santiago and so far all the agents I have talked to are telling me the same thing, 1 or 2 deposit and 1 month extra pay the agent fee.

They are all telling me this is like this in Santiago

I have been living in SD for 7 years, 3 different house, I have never paid any extra money to. the agent, it was always coming out of the landlord (wich make sense right...) so im simply wondering, is this a thing? and if yes, how so?

When you buy a house in Santiago does the buyer pays the commission also?? lol makes no sense.

....yes you are right...In Santiago rent a house in the neighborhood of "100 fires", would be a good place for you....and I am very sure 1 months rent is all you need...........Doc..........

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hay hay hay dont talk bad about 100 fires i am in and out of there a lot. Ok i don't live there but i know a lot of people who do. Good fried chicken at 4 am lol.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
You can tell the truth, you want the place but will not pay for the privilege of renting it. They can charge the other party or "Whistle Dixie", as my father used to say..............
No, doesn't work this way.

I pay what I think is fair and justified and im not scare walking away from what I see as a very bad deal for me.

I wont pay 1 to 1.3k USD out of nowhere because they feel like they should screw the renter.

the "truth" is some landlord are more logical then others and prefer to rent there house quickly instead of letting it sit in the market for 6 months.

Privilege, what privilege? lol

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Have no idea what/where is 100 fires lol but I can tell you that I got 3 different offers that the landlord is paying the comission as he should.

Two in la espanola one in gurabos. 40-50K each.

Far from what you are referring wich im assuming is some ghetto.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you use an agent and it is 2 months plus first many times one of the 2 months does go to the agent. I love negotiating but where I currently live I ended up paying asking price, why? because the building was full and has been since I got here. The owner has NO problem renting apartments. In fact I have a friend from the states that has wanted to move in for 2+ months but no one has moved out yet.