one way to handle 30-day limit

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
This is one option to consider.

You can take a bus from Santiago to Dajabón and then walk to the Dominican port, pay US$20 to get your passport stamped. Then pay a motorcycle guy or simply walk to the Haitian side and pay US$7 to get your passport stamped to enter Haiti. Then take a motorcycle cruise into Ouanaminthe if you like, or simply pay the US$10 fee to exit Haiti and return to Dominicana, and get your passport stamped again. The only thing here is, you are in Dominicana LEGALLY as opposed to illegally. I went there planning to exit the island through PAP for variety but found no buses directly to Port-au-Prince, so I returned to Dajabón. Do this on a Monday or Friday and you can take in the Mercado Binacional (think: big flea market) on the Dominican side of the bridge.

If you take a motorcycle tour of Ouanaminthe just be sure to tell the driver that you MUST stop at the Haitian port before leaving, to get a Haitian exit stamp. Then walk from there to Dominicana.

Never been to Haiti? Now you have.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It has been mentioned that doing as you suggest will not be sufficient to give you another 30 days of legality in the DR.
In other words, Haiti wont' count for starting the clock over if the DR does not want to count it. Be that as it may one way or the other.

How many people are going to do what you suggest every 30 days just to find out?

I have lived in the DR full time for 15 years and never considered a trip into Haiti. But that is just me.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rather than all those fees and the time required to transit to the frontier those who wish to stay beyond 30 days might find it slightly more convenient just going to Migracion and getting a tourist card extension from within this country.

Anytime one has to cross a border, an element (however slight) of uncertainty is introduced into the equation. I don't fault these intrepid people - for me, when it comes to Haiti, as with Yemen, Somalia and just about every other S#&thole country, I have no need or desire to go there. Doing so without good reason, just doesn't pass my risk/benefit assessment process. I am quite content to read about others who get fleeced or disappeared while in Haiti counting the trees.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Rather than all those fees and the time required to transit to the frontier those who wish to stay beyond 30 days might find it slightly more convenient just going to Migracion and getting a tourist card extension from within this country.

Anytime one has to cross a border, an element (however slight) of uncertainty is introduced into the equation. I don't fault these intrepid people - for me, when it comes to Haiti, as with Yemen, Somalia and just about every other S#&thole country, I have no need or desire to go there. Doing so without good reason, just doesn't pass my risk/benefit assessment process. I am quite content to read about others who get fleeced or disappeared while in Haiti counting the trees.

On the bus en route from Santiago to Dajabón I phoned my wife, who urged me not to enter Haiti because it is too dangerous. I thought I could minimize the danger but there is no taxicab from the Haitian port to the bus station, and the bus goes to Cap-Haitien with a connection to Port-au-Prince and I might wind up spending the night in Haiti so I opted to return to Dominicana. I did not know you could extend a tourist card within Dominicana.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Extending a tourist card has always been listed as an option, but until recently, it was near impossible to find anyone who had successfully done so. As a result of the immigration modernization effort, there are now two or three (sarcasm) functionaries who have knowledge of this process.

It's probably still too onerous a process for most tourists to undertake unless they are really motivated to do so as in yearly snowbird types who wish to make sure they have no issues coming back next year. Your average infrequent 6 week'er isn't going to give up valuable drinking and cultural exchange time to seek out an extension as there is as of yet, no certainty of consequences, for not doing so.