Building Permits

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Fabio, what is the process of obtaining a building permit after a building has been constructed. To keep the story short, the local muncipality is looking for all building permits for construction in the private residencial area where I reside for part of the year. The house was constructed six years ago while I was in the states. The contractor was questioned and he "doesn't remember", and of course we know now he did not obtain one. Same answer from the person who was overseeing the project.

What is the price we can expect to pay for a permit and is there a fine involved.

Regards and Thanks in Advance, PJT

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The first thing is to get an architect to draw the plans for the house. After that, the plans should be submitted for approval to the different gov't authorities (City Hall, Definpro and Tourism - if in certain tourist areas, Liga Municipal, Ministry of Public Works). The final permit (the construction license) is issued by Public Works. There are, of course, taxes to be paid: City Hall, CODIA (College of Engineers), Construction Workers' Union. etc.

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
What about extensions?

Fabio,

What about extensions to existing houses? Do I need all the papers if I build another room (or two or three ;-))?

Thank you

Tibu