Santiago airport cracking down on liquids

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I travel a lot and this is the first time that has ever happened... Threw out every travel sized bottle of alcohol, hand sanitizer, deodorant.

Said it's prohibited to record, take photos, or even send a voice message while they are searching my bags.

Threatened to make me miss my flight when I told him to dump the contents out because I was certain he was going to drink them all because I "lacked respect"

I don't want to say it's unbelievable because once in California they gave me a ziploc bag and made me put my líquids inside, but I have never had them take those items. I understood the ziploc rule is to determine total liquid amount, not some magic bag that changes the contents from unsafe to safe.

I would ask to speak to his supervisor but I am sure then I would get thrown out of the airport.

I prefer PN and Amet any day over that!

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I used to agree with the people who said it's not really changed. I carried coffee in a carry on 4 weeks ago, and the same deodorant, and had sanitizer, through sti, mía, fll, every 2-4 weeks for the last year.

Maybe today was just my day.

FYI, in USA it is legal to video tape and talk in tsa stations. Guy here was adamant that if I didn't stop, I was getting kicked out of the airport. In the US, I'm more comfortable pushing back against authorities, but here I know my place...as a gringo, sometimes you shut up.

Oh well, just 2 more flights and I'm back in the US full time. I guess I can put liquids in my checked bag 2 more times.

And the beach was nice until it rained yesterday!
a337812306a8aa3ab6688902b8a69d8b.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i took small bottles of liquids example: small can of shaving cream, sun blocker lotion and shaving kit, small tooth paste tube etc. no problem. I traveled twice without any hiccups.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I used to agree with the people who said it's not really changed. I carried coffee in a carry on 4 weeks ago, and the same deodorant, and had sanitizer, through sti, mía, fll, every 2-4 weeks for the last year.

Maybe today was just my day.

FYI, in USA it is legal to video tape and talk in tsa stations. Guy here was adamant that if I didn't stop, I was getting kicked out of the airport. In the US, I'm more comfortable pushing back against authorities, but here I know my place...as a gringo, sometimes you shut up.

Oh well, just 2 more flights and I'm back in the US full time. I guess I can put liquids in my checked bag 2 more times.

And the beach was nice until it rained yesterday!
a337812306a8aa3ab6688902b8a69d8b.jpg

As you said, in the USA you can record and talk in the TSA stations. To be clear this is not the USA. It is a self governing country that can do whatever it likes whenever it likes.
People that refuse to accept this can expose themselves to some real quick education.
Also as a FYI you cannot talk, text or video in the Canadian CBSA lines.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Next time you are in the USA going through TSA pull out your cell and start recording. Then see what happens. May be legal, but not the best idea...............

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Next time you are in the USA going through TSA pull out your cell and start recording. Then see what happens. May be legal, but not the best idea...............

They can make you miss your Flight, that is a 100% certainty.... Even just a secondary carry-on check and SWAB, with that patch thing ( God only knows What they are checking for , supposedly explosive residue , ) but even that Can will set you back a full half Hour, especially if they pull like 5 bags and you are the last of the 5 random bags.
. Not a good idea to mess with them , if you want to be on that plane.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Any updates of the new rules? anyone has had anything taken from them from the carry on luggage? I plan on taking a cologne bottle with 1.6oz . you think I will be ok with this as a carry-on item? in the past I had no problems but I don't know if they are enforcing the new rules in december?
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am surprised AZB..... seasoned traveler like you
==================================================
Airline Limits
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.Aug 14, 2018