GETTING CLOSE TO MAKING THE MOVE TO THE DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Well I m finally almost there... shortly will be able to access my pension plan without penalty and plan to move to the DR. i know I have to start the process here in new York a few months in advance of leaving but do you think i need a lawyer here to start that .. or can I get the visa in my passport myself. I think I ll need a lawyer to help me in the DR . any ideas?..Will i be able to be " fast tracked" as I ve heard it called because i ll be a pensioner ( 59 1/2 ).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You should be able to do the visa for your passport yourself. Call the Embassy in NY and make sure you have all the required documents, all the required apostile stamps, all of the documents are valid age wise as per the criteria provided by the Embassy, all documents are translated into Spanish (or you may be able to have the Embassy do that for you for a fee).

At least for your first residency application in the DR, I would recommend a lawyer, especially if your Spanish language skills are not robust. Don't wait, get your lawyer in the DR sorted first, they can often help with valuable info for the visa process back home.

Get cracking on your FBI criminal record check. That can sometimes take a while to get back. That document should be valid for 1 year.

I believe the DR considers long form birth certificates valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Do you need a new passport? It should to be valid for a couple more years at the time of your application in the DR. If you do get a new one, keep the old one as immigration will probably want to see it.

Confirm everything you are told several times. :)

Good luck.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Be prepared to get insulted, seguro de repatriacion por ejemplo (thousands of dominicans living here for free in Holland but ok).