Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious about everyone’s opinion on...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious about everyone’s opinion on...

I have been coming down to the DR (Sosua area) off and in since 2009.
    I am aware that vacationing and living are completely different. My question is
    What are the things that are difficult to get, or what things/places would you like to see open in the smaller towns in the DR.

Could be a type of restaurant, type of store, an item/service that’s hard to find or very expensive, etc...?

What are the things you miss most? If any?

Thanks in advance for the reply’s. Can’t wait to get back beginning of next year.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be the wet blanket......... if you’re considering moving to DR, anywhere in DR, and opening a restaurant or business, forget it. If by some miracle you are successful, 5 other identical places will open near you and put you out of business.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

3. Dislikes cjewell disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A Publix.

5. Likes cavok, drtampa, CristoRey liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are dreaming of living off gringos and their sentimental yearning then you're in for a surprise.

any gringo has two brain cells capable of cooperating when sober has already figured out that if they want anything they better fragging learn to obtain it themselves. fancy asian food? cook it yo self. tasty pastries? bake it yo self. exotic ingredients? ship it yo self. quality appliances? bring it yo self.

and the reason for all this self pleasuring? it's because when (and if) available, all those things are motherfragging pricey. and guess what, if you were to start a business providing any of the above small luxuries you'd still need to charge extra to make a profit. and gringos would rather spend that money on booze or ass.

North Coast Moderator

7. Likes Peterj, bienamor, Tarheel, Auryn, jinty05 and 6 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell.

9. Likes Juan Bosch, peep2 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming from someone that has success in the bar/restaurant business in the country.. here's a free tip for anyone wanting to start a business on the North Coast.. subway franchise in sosua or cabarete..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

.....their parade got rained on big time....but you are right.........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I’ll be the wet blanket......... if you’re considering moving to DR, anywhere in DR, and opening a restaurant or business, forget it. If by some miracle you are successful, 5 other identical places will open near you and put you out of business.
    I'll be the wet quilt on top of the wet blanket.

Ditto what AE and DV8 said.

If you have to ask, you will not succeed.

You will not believe how fast you can burn through money without accomplishing anything. Expensive surprises will become your best friend and constant companion.

If that doesn't deter you, I want to be your agent here. Send money. Lots of money.

13. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayanora View Post
    Coming from someone that has success in the bar/restaurant business in the country.. here's a free tip for anyone wanting to start a business on the North Coast.. subway franchise in sosua or cabarete..
    Subway is too expensive. Up North it would have to be even more expensive.

I had a very successful sandwich business for years and thought about doing it here for a long time but the logistics are insane.

If anything, a hot dog cart with fresh buns and quality meats. Be prepared to be robbed after a good night/day.

15. Likes orlando44 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The sandwich of the day here in Santiago, Santo Domingo, and Punta Cana are 160 pesos with tax included.. That's about 3.25 .. obviously those items have less profit margins than others but it definitely gets people in the door.. The restaurants are booming in the 3 areas I mentioned earlier. You bring customers in with those specials and then sell them 60 peso sodas that cost 5-6 pesos (cost).

The reason this business will work is that you can make exclusivity contracts with the franchise and nobody else can open within a certain area.. I have no doubts a Subway would work and the only reason I haven't taken initiative is that I'm already involved in too many ventures.

Whoever does it is going to be successful.. not become a millionaire, but have a thriving business in the area (considering they want to live there in the first place).

17. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast