Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 114
  1. #101
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh9547 View Post
    better quality coffee shops and bread products however the reason is that there are not enough repeat customers that can provide the stability of repeat business. We can dream though.
    In Cabarete, we have Dick's Panaderia and The Belgian Bakery. While none are at the level of what my family used to have in their Polish bakery back when I grew up, they are pretty good compared to anything that exists today. Some people prefer Friends over those two and Friends is also good. Open and fourth one and die. A painful death.

  2. #102
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I will try and send you some thai recipes as I do thai a lot here and is easy as all the ingredients easy to find. PM me your email and will send you some like hot and sour prawn soup. thai chilli chicken with basil and coconut cream, and others.

    Matilda
    oh my god I miss Thai food! Why in the world isn't there a single true Thai restaurant in Santo Domingo?!

  3. #103
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    40,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaRose View Post
    oh my god I miss Thai food! Why in the world isn't there a single true Thai restaurant in Santo Domingo?!
    There was one in the CZ but it closed after St. Martin got whacked with a hurricane. That's where the owner supposedly had another restaurant.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  4. #104
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i was one of the few pioneering chiropractor in this country. I have worked in puerto plata, santiago and now in santo domingo. where ever I had worked, after a while I had noticed a dozen or so fake chiropractors all around me had opened up and claiming to be doing the same work as I am. the fake chiros were mostly dominicans and a few foreigners as well. I thought my work was unique and specialized. But i see that didn't prevent dominicans from opening up chiropractic fake offices near by me. so take the advice from the old timers here, don't come here asking for ideas; this means you have little clue of what works here and what not. in my experience, something like 90% of businesses opened up by foreigners fail within 6 months to 2 years. many have to beg their family to send them a return ticket to go back home.

  5. Likes windeguy, rfp liked this post
  6. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    i was one of the few pioneering chiropractor in this country. I have worked in puerto plata, santiago and now in santo domingo. where ever I had worked, after a while I had noticed a dozen or so fake chiropractors all around me had opened up and claiming to be doing the same work as I am. the fake chiros were mostly dominicans and a few foreigners as well. I thought my work was unique and specialized. But i see that didn't prevent dominicans from opening up chiropractic fake offices near by me. so take the advice from the old timers here, don't come here asking for ideas; this means you have little clue of what works here and what not. in my experience, something like 90% of businesses opened up by foreigners fail within 6 months to 2 years. many have to beg their family to send them a return ticket to go back home.
    all you need to do to understand what AZB is saying is to go to Sosua beach today, then go back in two years. you will probably see ten percent of the businesses you saw two years ago.

  7. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    I think I mentioned this before, but I ran into a guy that started a discotheque in Puerto Plata. The dominicans ate him alive.

    He didn't speak Spanish nor had an abogado to help him. Employee problems first. Then the owner decided that he did such a good job fixing up the place that they doubled the rent which made the business unvia. On the home front, he was robbed. He bought some dogs to guard the house, but they loved the poison surprise and he was robbed again. The next set of dogs, he taught not to take food from strangers, and I met that lot. I thought they were going to take a part of my backside, but walked away without buying anything. He said that he lost about 100k Euros.

    He gave up. Sold everything at a deep discount and disappeared from whence he came. It's a sad story because I think he really had his heart into it and didn't expect to make a lot of money. I think it would have been completely different if he had gotten use to the locals first and found a good bi-lingual abogado and manager.
    there was a group of African American guys who tried to start a disco in that white building behind the new propane station near the chocolate factory. same thing happened to them. i predicted they would have lasted 3 months. i was wrong...they lasted all of a few weeks..some things are for locals.

  8. #107
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    915
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In my opinion and I hope this doesn't offend anyone but it seems like the Dominicans will copy every idea from foreigners except the Chinese. I had a friend open up a french fry business on the conde. A month later there was six other ones on the Conde. Totally ruining the business of my buddies. but hey with the Chinese they don't dare mess with them.

  9. #108
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Toilettes. Import lots of them.
    Its BS everywhere you turn.
    Keep your money - buy aapl on the dip.

  10. #109
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,916
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fernandez View Post
    Toilettes. Import lots of them.
    Its BS everywhere you turn.
    Keep your money - buy aapl on the dip.
    ....you have been to parties that were BYOB....bring your own bottle...here its BYOM....bring your own money.........

  11. #110
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    In my opinion and I hope this doesn't offend anyone but it seems like the Dominicans will copy every idea from foreigners except the Chinese. I had a friend open up a french fry business on the conde. A month later there was six other ones on the Conde. Totally ruining the business of my buddies. but hey with the Chinese they don't dare mess with them.
    Yes, this happens very often.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •