Curious about everyone’s opinion on...

jricks76

Feb 11, 2011
I have been coming down to the DR (Sosua area) off and in since 2009.
I am aware that vacationing and living are completely different. My question is
What are the things that are difficult to get, or what things/places would you like to see open in the smaller towns in the DR.

Could be a type of restaurant, type of store, an item/service that’s hard to find or very expensive, etc...?

What are the things you miss most? If any?

Thanks in advance for the reply’s. Can’t wait to get back beginning of next year.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ll be the wet blanket......... if you’re considering moving to DR, anywhere in DR, and opening a restaurant or business, forget it. If by some miracle you are successful, 5 other identical places will open near you and put you out of business.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you are dreaming of living off gringos and their sentimental yearning then you're in for a surprise.

any gringo has two brain cells capable of cooperating when sober has already figured out that if they want anything they better fragging learn to obtain it themselves. fancy asian food? cook it yo self. tasty pastries? bake it yo self. exotic ingredients? ship it yo self. quality appliances? bring it yo self.

and the reason for all this self pleasuring? it's because when (and if) available, all those things are motherfragging pricey. and guess what, if you were to start a business providing any of the above small luxuries you'd still need to charge extra to make a profit. and gringos would rather spend that money on booze or ass.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Coming from someone that has success in the bar/restaurant business in the country.. here's a free tip for anyone wanting to start a business on the North Coast.. subway franchise in sosua or cabarete..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I’ll be the wet blanket......... if you’re considering moving to DR, anywhere in DR, and opening a restaurant or business, forget it. If by some miracle you are successful, 5 other identical places will open near you and put you out of business.

I'll be the wet quilt on top of the wet blanket.

Ditto what AE and DV8 said.

If you have to ask, you will not succeed.

You will not believe how fast you can burn through money without accomplishing anything. Expensive surprises will become your best friend and constant companion.

If that doesn't deter you, I want to be your agent here. Send money. Lots of money.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Coming from someone that has success in the bar/restaurant business in the country.. here's a free tip for anyone wanting to start a business on the North Coast.. subway franchise in sosua or cabarete..

Subway is too expensive. Up North it would have to be even more expensive.

I had a very successful sandwich business for years and thought about doing it here for a long time but the logistics are insane.

If anything, a hot dog cart with fresh buns and quality meats. Be prepared to be robbed after a good night/day.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The sandwich of the day here in Santiago, Santo Domingo, and Punta Cana are 160 pesos with tax included.. That's about 3.25 .. obviously those items have less profit margins than others but it definitely gets people in the door.. The restaurants are booming in the 3 areas I mentioned earlier. You bring customers in with those specials and then sell them 60 peso sodas that cost 5-6 pesos (cost).

The reason this business will work is that you can make exclusivity contracts with the franchise and nobody else can open within a certain area.. I have no doubts a Subway would work and the only reason I haven't taken initiative is that I'm already involved in too many ventures.

Whoever does it is going to be successful.. not become a millionaire, but have a thriving business in the area (considering they want to live there in the first place).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking of Subway. There are two in Punta Cana-Bavaro area. I was in both today looking for a roast beef sandwich. Neither one had any roast beef even though RB is prominently on the menu. Also neither one had any customers when I was there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The sandwich of the day here in Santiago, Santo Domingo, and Punta Cana are 160 pesos with tax included.. That's about 3.25 .. obviously those items have less profit margins than others but it definitely gets people in the door.. The restaurants are booming in the 3 areas I mentioned earlier. You bring customers in with those specials and then sell them 60 peso sodas that cost 5-6 pesos (cost).

The reason this business will work is that you can make exclusivity contracts with the franchise and nobody else can open within a certain area.. I have no doubts a Subway would work and the only reason I haven't taken initiative is that I'm already involved in too many ventures.

Whoever does it is going to be successful.. not become a millionaire, but have a thriving business in the area (considering they want to live there in the first place).

Subway has great sandwiches. Everytime I go to Santiago I stop by the one on Av. S.E.S.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Speaking of Subway. There are two in Punta Cana-Bavaro area. I was in both today looking for a roast beef sandwich. Neither one had any roast beef even though RB is prominently on the menu. Also neither one had any customers when I was there.

Well they are independently owned so that would be a franchisees problem if anything.. I went to the one in Cortecito which is basically a kiosk.. (low rent, low overhead) and saw plenty of people come and go.. the one in Santiago on estrella sadhala does about 150 delivery orders daily so I'm positive it's a prospering business.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Look no further than Barra Payan and Emparedado. I won't even mention Don Emilio and La Sandwichera. They all have the Dominican market figured out.

None are what I would call great sandwiches, but they're certainly OK.

As I mentioned before, I came really close to opening one here.

The difference I would have had was half sandwiches.

Well, not half sandwiches, but half size sandwiches. I was sure there would be a market for 4 inch sandwiches. I still think it would fly. They would have to be cheap and quick.

When I had my place, couples would come in all the time and ask for a sandwich, then split it. Great if you're half of a couple.

Why not small sandwiches for people who aren't half of a couple?

There's more of them than there are couples!

Last edited:

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Expensive surprises. God dam, in the life here this is so true i have no business here and this kicks my ass.
There was a TV show that said surprise surprise surprise.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
IMO nothing, because there is some Dominican/local version of what you want. May not be exactly what you want/looking for but you can find some version of almost anything.