teaching at the international school in sosua- need some info please

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
i have been looking into teaching at the international school in sosua as a possibility for next year. i'm just wondering how i would be living on 15,000 US a year in the DR. supposedly this is higher pay than the 12,000 they pay for a bachelors degree...

does anyone teach there now?have any insights?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
That's a pretty decent wage down there - equal to more than $20,000 RD pesos a month. Don't know what your standard of living is, but I would think you would do OK.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
And you couldn't ask for better people to work for, either...was it Terry that you talked to? I'd say go for it...Sosua's a great little city.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think you will do as well on 15K in the DR as 50K in NYC.

Probably better quality of life. I hope you know what to expect living in Sosua though. I love it there but not sure I could live there.

Regards

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
apt costs

thanks for replies.
how much approx does a 1 bdrm place in sosua go for there (in pesos) in a relatively safe and quiet area. what about other towns/communities besides sosua that are close to the school
mattie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You could also consider Cabarete. Inexpensive transportation between Sosua and Cabarete is no problem.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Bugsey34 said:
why couldn't you live in sosua jazzcom?

I think that I would rather hang out there from time to time instead of live there. Too much BS going on there constantly. I would more prefer a little bit of a more relaxed atmosphere.

I will be relocating to that area and after a million trips there I have made a lot of friends but the hustlers are just bothersome.

The decision is still not made but... when I was there last week a friend that had a villa in Costambar asked me to stay there and another friend that had a hotel in Costambar asked me to stay at his place for free and my answer to both was that I want to stay in Sosua. I was only there for 5 days this trip. To stay a lifetime I may want to live in another place convienent to Sosua but not live there.

I have a flight to POP on Christmas morning and will stay there for 2 weeks. I may take them up on there offers then. Hell I may stay by AZB or HB for a couple of days. I hope PIB invites me also but that may be a stretch:)

If I wasnt a 100 percent clear that is because I am not 100 percent clear.

Nighty nite

Escott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Let's not get sidetracked. This is not an "open" posting. Note that the original poster is still looking for information with respect to the cost of renting a one bedroom apartment in the Sosua area. Anyone able to help?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
2 bedroom Condo at Coconut palms is 325 a month. Located on the road to Cabarete from Sosua.

One bedroom apartment at 1 ocean place rents for 325 a month on a yearly basis.

Hope this helps.

Ken, comments on where to live is not unreasonable. Want a midol?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To ms.mathilda

If you are still seeking information on apartment availability and cost in an around Sosua, I'd suggest that you post this as a new question. That way you are likely to get responses from people who had read your thread before you posted the apartment question and may not come back to the original thread for another look.

I would think that your chances of finding something desirable are good. Tourism has been down this year and next season, at first reports, doesn't sound as though it would be much better.

There are some very fine people teaching at the International School and I'm sure that they would be glad to help you. Whether or not they read this board, I don't know. You might post a third thread asking to make contact with people who teach in the school.

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
I have a friend going to teach at The International School of Sosua as well. I will be teaching at The Learning Tree School in Puerto Plata and so if you have any other questions besides living arrangements (as I am figuring out my own) feel free to get in touch with me.