DR World leader in C sections per birth

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They don't want to damage their "cosita" by pushing a melon through it!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They don't want to damage their "cosita" by pushing a melon through it!

I am wondering if DR women are even given a choice by doctors (I suspect they don't). Who is to blame then* ?

* I admit, I don't know the answer. I really thought that it was close to 90% to be honest, instead of 58.1% as the article stated

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I am wondering if DR women are even given a choice by doctors (I suspect they don't). Who is to blame then ?

I admit, I don't know the answer, but it baffles me.

It might have something to do with the fact that there are very few, if any midwives or berthing classes here in the DR. Perhaps it's cheaper for the insurance companies to do a caesarean rather than give full term care to expectant mothers.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It might have something to do with the fact that there are very few, if any midwives or berthing classes here in the DR. Perhaps it's cheaper for the insurance companies to do a caesarean rather than give full term care to expectant mothers.

I thought it would be the opposite, since it will require the birthing mother to be hospitalized longer after a C-section. To be honest, I thought about being a way to limit the number of births/women (no sane women would have more than 3 c-sections), and possibly for the doctors to make more money per birth.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I thought Brazil had this spot wrapped up, and I read about the practice there. Basically, the doc likes to have a schedule rather than all the late night births. Second, the women don't mind and it has the added benefit of easily tying their tubes if they are done having babies. It's a big reason that there has been a dramatic drop in fertility there among the middle and upper classes.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I thought it would be the opposite, since it will require the birthing mother to be hospitalized longer after a C-section. To be honest, I thought about being a way to limit the number of births/women (no sane women would have more than 3 c-sections), and possibly for the doctors to make more money per birth.

..Most births here are in public hospitals...The Doctors are paid per baby...and yes many have their tubes fixed without their knowledge, the number is normally 3 births, and the mother later wonders , what happened?...........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I don't believe that at all do you have any evidence to support that claim?

.....Yes you can believe....first hand knowledge....the procedure to make the tubes work again, costs about$1500 us dollars, out of the reach of public hospital patients....many are Haitian...seeing is believing............Doc.........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....ooooh and I did spend the $1500 dollars on one of my wifes a few years back, and she never knew until she had the tests to confirm her tubes needed to be reattached...........

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I am wondering if DR women are even given a choice by doctors (I suspect they don't). Who is to blame then* ?

* I admit, I don't know the answer. I really thought that it was close to 90% to be honest, instead of 58.1% as the article stated

I have asked that same question to many women that I know of who has had C-Sections. None of them that I spoke to were given a choice in the matter. I even know some who had tubal ligations without any choice also.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I talked about this tonight. She says it's all about the money. Women still have a choice but the doctors scare them into having C-sections. My wife had a natural delivery but that was 27 years ago and she couldn't have afforded a C-section even if she wanted one.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Maternal health is a major area of concern for any developing nation. C-sections have their place and can save lives. However, a rate of nearly 60% combined with the staggering amount of powdered formula that is pushed in the DR, something needs to change. Neither is necessarily healthy and the natural alternatives are better in the majority of cases. Yet many people there have never even heard of a super-bug, and pop antibiotics like either one does the trick or they are candy. There is a looonng way to go.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I think a lot has to do with lazy doctors. A scheduled c section is much easier than getting up at 2 am and then spending 4+ hours attending a woman in labor. With a C section you are done in 30 min and done on the doctor's schedule.

Plus it takes a lot more training and skill to attend a vaginal birth than to do a C section. Believe you I know this for a fact.

Bob K

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
SIL is a OBGYN, I asked her about this. She said that yes C-sections are much easier for the physician as they are scheduled, etc... however she said many women want a C-section as the thought of many hours in labor scares them along with the possible "tearing below", etc... Strange enough my SIL is pro natural birth. She said she has seen way to many women suffer from infection, etc..after a C-section that she feels a natural birth is the best option if possible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It seems that it's a status symbol too..... I hear that....
Like the fancy cars.... just a thing they all want....for no sound medical reason.

But certainly, easier job for the doctor - home by dinner time !

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
.....Yes you can believe....first hand knowledge....the procedure to make the tubes work again, costs about$1500 us dollars, out of the reach of public hospital patients....many are Haitian...seeing is believing............Doc.........

Sadly, I suspect this is true. No first hand knowledge, but haitian women won't go the hospital unless it is is a mortal emergency for just this reason. Although after you give birth to one or two, it's sort of a non-event.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think you will find the Dominican Republic is very high on the list of countries where doctors place casts on young people's limbs - something to do with medical fees, like C-sections.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Even after a C section they send you home after 24 hours....no need to keep patients in bed too long when there are other paying patients that need the bed soon after!

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

No midwifes? Huh? What country are you in? the place is full of them. Most of my family was delivered with midwife. Just about everyone's grandma is a midwife. Those with C sections just don't want to go through the pain and doctors know that a healthy child is more probable when using C sections.