Purpose of Blood Test in REsidency Procedure

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
What is the purpose of the blood test in the residency procedure. It is a very invasive process and we have been asked by several "what are they testing for ?" Can anyone answer that ?

In POP they have been waiving the medical for a number of applicants but SD seem to be worse than ever .

We have put this in living since it doesn't appear to fit in Legal and Visa but mods feel free to move I!

Olly and the Team

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I understand it's for drugs and STD's. The chest xray is for tuberculosis.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The whole residency procedure is insulting. The bloodtest, tbc and the worst of all is the seguro de repatriacion. Then the amounts you have to pay. The last time 28.000 pesos. Then, when I counted on the 14.000 I said I would like to pay with CC the pendeja said if I didn't have 28. I had to ask her how much she had in her pocket at the moment. Well it was just for her pica-pollo.
Then thinking how many dominican cocaïne vendors and putas we maintain in northern Europe without asking. I know..our fault .

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Drugs and communicable diseases that present a potential public health issue such as Hepatitis & STDs including Aids. If the Govt is ever inclined to do so, they could use those samples to establish a foreigner DNA database. NOTE: I have NOT heard that they are doing so or are thinking of doing so.

I don't recall any documents that definitely lists everything tested for. They can potentially test for anything that would return a result from blood.

I've only had to submit blood once, during the initial application. No medical exam since.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And no medical exam required when you do your citizenship application. I dont find a blood test and a pee sample invasive but then again i spend a long time in the Military where just things are common practise. When my wife immigrated to Canada she required more tests and exams than the DR requires.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The whole residency procedure is insulting. The bloodtest, tbc and the worst of all is the seguro de repatriacion. Then the amounts you have to pay. The last time 28.000 pesos. Then, when I counted on the 14.000 I said I would like to pay with CC the pendeja said if I didn't have 28. I had to ask her how much she had in her pocket at the moment. Well it was just for her pica-pollo.
Then thinking how many dominican cocaïne vendors and putas we maintain in northern Europe without asking. I know..our fault .

I agree - the repatriacion insurance is the worst and biggest rip-off of all. You pay $115 premium for whatt hey estimate i costs an average of $3000 USD to deports someone. For the same premium I get $20,000 in liability insurance on my car - and there are a lot more car accidents here than residents getting deported!

To add insult to injury, you have to pay this premium every year - even though you can only get deported once! It's a giant cash cow for the 3 insurance companies "approved" to issue this insurance and whomever in DGM dreamed up this scam.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I understand it's for drugs and STD's. The chest xray is for tuberculosis.

The country is being cautious to prevent spread of disease and drug use, bad features it does not want to foot the bill for. The ghost agenda is to provide a bank of DNA types should there be a need to investigate an identity.

Regards,

PJT

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The drug testing is just an excuse...... for what ? I dont know.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The country is being cautious to prevent spread of disease and drug use, bad features it does not want to foot the bill for. The ghost agenda is to provide a bank of DNA types should there be a need to investigate an identity.

Regards,

PJT

Would they not issue a resident card if you fail any of the medical tests and then just allow you to live here and pay the exit fee?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you fail the medical portion, or the criminal record check causes concerns, or you cannot support your retirement income (if relying on that) with acceptable documentation, then I think your application gets rejected. What you do after you walk out the door I don't think is much of a concern to the application screeners.

As for living here and paying the exit charges, you are not supposed to but someone will quickly interject that currently you probably can get away with doing just that if you are prepared to tolerate some degree of situational uncertainty.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bird
about being refused a card....and paying the exit fee

After your application and subsequent refusal, don't you think they have you on record...?
Easy to identify you as an interloper - if indeed you are

Might not be easy to duck back under the radar

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bird
about being refused a card....and paying the exit fee

After your application and subsequent refusal, don't you think they have you on record...?
Easy to identify you as an interloper - if indeed you are

Might not be easy to duck back under the radar

That is what I was hoping someone could answer. If you fail any of the tests and the DR doesn't want you legally living in la rep dom can the person just keep coming back as a tourist and if they decide to even live here doing the famous "pay the exit fee".

You know how I feel about pay the exit fee but not my point on this one.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Would they not issue a resident card if you fail any of the medical tests and then just allow you to live here and pay the exit fee?

Even if one fails, you still get residency........ remember where you are ;) ;)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you fail the medical portion, or the criminal record check causes concerns, or you cannot support your retirement income (if relying on that) with acceptable documentation, then I think your application gets rejected. What you do after you walk out the door I don't think is much of a concern to the application screeners.

As for living here and paying the exit charges, you are not supposed to but someone will quickly interject that currently you probably can get away with doing just that if you are prepared to tolerate some degree of situational uncertainty.

I've always wondered what happens if a long term resident were to come down with HIV.

Seems totally plausible with the scene being what it is up on the North coast (or anywhere else for that matter)

Anybody have an idea what would happen if a resident was to be diagnosed?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Residency, the way the Government is conducting it now is a complete ripoff. They change the rules and fees whenever they please. However getting citizenship eliminates all of this. So either go all the way or pay the salida fee............

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
An expat who was a legal resident was diagnosed with cancer and passed away. It was also in his lungs. He was in hospital and the doctors asked him to get copies of his lung xrays from when he renewed his residency a couple of months previously. I was asked to call migration as he did not speak Spanish. I did, and they told me they take the xrays but do not put film in the machine as it is too expensive - so no copy of xrays.

Matilda

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005

I know someone in Cabarete that failed the drug test and he received a deportation letter from the DR. I understand it cost him a lot of pesos in lawyer fees to get the letter rescinded.